Getting a new bike

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
I was just wondering what bike would you get?

Take in mind that I want this bike to last for 4 or more years. So it needs to be able to last the time.:D

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends what you want to use it for mate
DH- going down hills ridiculously fast and pinning it over 20 foot drops and runching through rock gardens?
DJ- hopping around like a mad esnake on jelly frogs
XC- fitness freaks, shaved legs and quads that make arnie run and hide
AM- knee pads, a good helmet, some lunch and a mate, all day adventure bike that is up for anything
BMX- tight jeans and piercings
4X- BMX on a slope with more technical trail features?

lets go from there mate ;)

cheers;)

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be honest any bike can withstand 4 years of downhill if you treat it will but you cant predict if it will break or not...

whats your price range, you can't ask such a general question like that and not give us any detail...

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
To be honest any bike can withstand 4 years of downhill if you treat it will but you cant predict if it will break or not...

whats your price range, you can't ask such a general question like that and not give us any detail...
sorry again I'm looking to spend around $6000-$7500

I was also thinking about buying a base Giant Glory and strip all the parts off it and put the parts on a better bike eg Commencial,Intense,Santa Cruz ect.(because full bike cost so much)

Or is that not worth the hastle. I just need to know what other people rate each bike plus pros and cons of that type of product.

who...?

Likes Dirt
Im not sure on what bike last long but if you always keep your bike cleaned
and oiled and greased it will last sooo much longer.

I'v had my kona stab for almost 3 years now and even if i dont ride it during
the week it still gets washed ever 2 weeks and if i go out riding in the wet it
gets wash eaither that day or the next morning.

Also i re-painted my bike last year and now i think it will give it a few more
years of life i hope.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well you just missed out, YVC was selling the Commencal Supreme DH for 4800 and the team for 6000 or around 7000. I myself picked out a normal one, which essentialy it is just the parts that are different not the actual frame apart from paint job... and I was buying it because of the frame anyway.

DJR

Likes Dirt
There is plenty of runouts at the moment, mind you the new 2010 glory's look pretty schmick anyway. If it's about brand then you can always raw the frame and sticker it up with some boutique brand ;)

The Mongoose Boot'r got good reviews around the place so that's a mid-range option certainly cheaper than a few others. Around that price point you have lots of options - a frame + build up mid range or a mid-top range factory bike.

More options to throw into the mix is the new Evil Revolt - http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_15_18&products_id=2046 , the new SC Driver 8 (8" version of the V-10), Morewoods....

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
Well you just missed out, YVC was selling the Commencal Supreme DH for 4800 and the team for 6000 or around 7000. I myself picked out a normal one, which essentialy it is just the parts that are different not the actual frame apart from paint job... and I was buying it because of the frame anyway.
That is what i am mainly thinking of

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long a bike will last would have to depend mostly on...
How often you ride it
How hard you ride it
If and how often you maintain the bearings and other components in relation to the amount of use and the conditions you use it in.

Also it's all well and fine with the idea of getting a Giant to strip for parts, but you have to think about weather the rear spacing will be the same (150 or 135?) on your new frame, will the seat post diameter requirement be different? What about the head tube, will it be 1.5, or tapered or 11/8? There is also BB width......so if you have to source new hub / rear wheel, new fork, new seat post and crank set, is it still a sensible idea? But of course you also have to consider that any unwanted or unsuitable parts would probably fetch a good price on the 2nd hand market anyway so it could still work. All I'm saying is do your research well first before going in that direction so at least you know what you're in for.

Depends also if you're looking at strictly new or considering 2nd hand frames as well?

The bike I'm riding at the moment was made in 2001 (first sold in '02), it's an Orange 222, I don't know if the swing arm was ever replaced or not but it's kind of a testament to how long a bike could keep going for. No doubt it's had many different owners and components on it during it's life time though!

I guess the trick is to get a bike that you really love to ride, then it will be worthwhile to keep it going for as long as you want to, even if you manage to break the frame!

s_govers01

Likes Dirt
exactly. it really depends on the rider i reckon. if you give it some TLC then you will receive it in return.