Getting arsey (a saddle thread)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really liked my specialized henge. But like my ergon sme3 more. I'm of the opinion your ass will eventually get used to any saddle...

SDA

Likes Dirt
Head down to a Specialized shop and get your sit bones measured, that's the place to start. Guessing a saddle might be comfortable without getting your ass bones measured is just wasting your $$$.

They do loan saddles but usually 'never' have the one you want, so they tell you to buy one and they offer a 30 day no questions asked money back so you can try for 30 days then get your money back (as long as it has zero signs of damage)

I ride 155mm Spesh Romins and Power (shortened version of a Romin) saddles on all 6 bikes and have done now for about ~6-7 years.
This

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Measuring your sit bones is the best place to start after that it’s up to your arse on what it prefers, mine likes the WTB pure.
As for measuring your sit bones if, like me, and don’t have somewhere close by that measures; you can do it yourself:
Get a nice firm flat chair (wooden dining ones work great) spray a light mist of water on there with a spray bottle. Get a blank piece of A4 paper and place it on there then sit on it. You should get two wet spots (hehe) using a text or pen put a mark in the centre of your wet spots then measure, then you will have your sit bone width.
I did this and found my saddle was too narrow went to a wider width and found instant comfort.
You can also do this without getting moist by sitting on a corrugated cardboard.....

MOIST

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have always had a very sensitive ass and it put me off mountain biking a lot when I was younger. At the moment I reckon a lot of the stock seats are a lot comfier than they used to be but dont need to be perfect when using a dual suss with padded liners and the constant movement/shifting around.
When I commute though I dont wear padded liners and will normally be in pain after a couple of mins. I did the specialized test about 5 years ago and was prepared to spend whatever it took to get a comfy saddle but found the one it recommended (Henge) was complete crap.
I research a fair bit and ended up with a brooks cambium carved (silicone not leather) and find even being off the bike a while that it is pretty comfy to jump straight back on. If that didnt work I was going to try the SQ labs. Anything else are just variations on the same theme/production methods/materials.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really liked my specialized henge. But like my ergon sme3 more. I'm of the opinion your ass will eventually get used to any saddle...
Nope. A seat is either comfy or it's not (an exception might be a leather seat that needs to take shape and wear in). Anyone who says this clearly hasn't suffered.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been loving the Specialized Power saddle (143mm) these days.

But I'll echo everyone else here, saddles are personal as everyone's different. I'll even say that over the years as I've started riding more miles and getting a lot fitter, my ass has decided that it doesn't like the saddles I found most comfortable a few years ago.

Also, it goes without saying but if you haven't ridden in a long time you'll have a sore ass after that first ride back no matter what

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It always heads in the opposite direction unless you have not ridden in a while, then the saddle will feel better after several rides.

For a 1 hour or <20km ride most people could probably use any saddle, its when you spend longer sitting there as you get fitter or back it up with several days in a row, painful sit bones and saddle sores are not a nice feeling.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Selle Italia SLR flow was my choice for 10 years, but they changed the widths a couple years ago and I can't get a straight answer on a direct replacement.

The Procaliber arrived with a Bontrager Montrose, which was comfy to sit on, but gave saddle sores. I'm now on a Bonty Paradigm Race and it's perfect.

For me, cut outs are essential.

Your arse may vary.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have a very average arse ,have 10 different saddles, usually ride 5 days a week so I find most saddles fine.
The more you ride the tougher your bum gets, road riding is harder cos you sit for hours in one place.
Always use arse cream for multiday rides, nicks + outers ie 2 layers.
All that said I vote for Selle SMP, rode it for 2 weeks straight on rough gravel.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Internet recommendations for saddles aren't worth a pinch of ant shit. what one person will swear by, someone else will swear at. The only arse that will know what's going to work for it is your own, so no option but to do the hard trial & error yards. Decent saddle manufacturers offer a trial program through their dealers so you can test different saddles & find out what's going to suit, without the expense of buying lots of saddles until you find the right one.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ducky’s on the money, again.

That being said, the charge knife saddle is the best damn saddle I’ve ever used and everyone should buy one.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Decent saddle manufacturers offer a trial program through their dealers so you can test different saddles & find out what's going to suit, without the expense of buying lots of saddles until you find the right one.
The problem is there are still so many saddles out there and even testing one brand might not get you there. I found a really good fitting saddle and the next season Bontrager decided to stuff around with the range and now I'm back at square one. So far I've resorted to turning over gumtree saddles to try and I even on sold two saddles to the same bloke who appears to be doing the same thing!

sbm

Likes Bikes
It's funny I can ride almost anything on an MTB, I've never really needed to change out the stock saddles on MTBs I've owned. Even did a 160km tour on a stock saddle and it was pretty much fine.

However there is a threshold of forward lean or saddle-bar drop that, once I'm past that, the pressure on the saddle comes off the sit bones, and goes onto...well...the taint. And saddle selection becomes almost impossible. No amount of width, curve, shape, or cutout get around the fact my body just doesn't want any pressure there. The only solution I've found is to just get rid of that bit of the saddle - on my road bike with drop bars, the ONLY saddles I have managed to use for any length of time are an ISM PR and an SQLab.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Whatever came on the bike... WTB on the Mongoose, Fizik Tundra on the first Anthem, Giant own brand stuff on the second and on the Trance. Defy has a Fizik Aliante.

They've all been fine/great. I really liked the Tundra, but the Giant ones have been great too. The roadie Fizik has seen up to 120km in one ride and no arse issue.

This may finally be a thing I'm not fussy about... Huh.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Internet recommendations for saddles aren't worth a pinch of ant shit. what one person will swear by, someone else will swear at. The only arse that will know what's going to work for it is your own, so no option but to do the hard trial & error yards. Decent saddle manufacturers offer a trial program through their dealers so you can test different saddles & find out what's going to suit, without the expense of buying lots of saddles until you find the right one.
I mean, you say this, but due to recommendations on here I was able to put together what I felt was pretty good shortlist and do some targeted investigation/shopping.
5 rides in and I'm loving the Ergon SM3 that I probably wouldn't have looked at without this thread.
Many thanks to all those that chimed in!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
they changed the widths a couple years ago and I can't get a straight answer on a direct replacement
It's like they want to lose customers.

Thankfully I am in the group that uses WTB volt saddles - they are not perfect but good enough for most of the riding I do. They are oem on a lot of bikes too so plenty of them come up cheap and they generally do not change the design much.

I think my butt dislikes light weight saddles as well.