getting back in shape

ogjon

Likes Dirt
last spring/summer & autumn I shed approx 20kg started @ 105kg & I felt great being back down to 85kg but over the winter my weight has crept back up to 100kg again :(
been off my bikes for the whole winter, so I thought it's about time to get back into shape(yes I know round is a shape but I don't want that anymore)

So as of today I've got back into the swing of things & went & did 2 hours of trail work & actually got back on a bike :)

My main challenge/s are:
1. my biggest challenge is not being able to loose weight easily due to diabetes
2. I have arthritis in my hands, lower back & both knees

minor challenge:
I tend to over eat

my goal is to drop 15kg to slim down(loose my flab) & build some muscle(I already purchased some dumbbell & weights)

I'm a vegetarian so already eat fairly healthy, I don't smoke or consume alcohol or any other drugs.

so my plan is to: combine weights, more bike riding, more trail digging & much smaller meals more often during the day.
I have an indoor bike trainer for when it's raining.

so as stated above my starting weight is 100kg & my goal weight is 80-85kg(allowing for approx 5-8kg of muscle to be built up) & my time frame is to achieve this over the next 6 months.

Last edited:

ogjon

Likes Dirt
2 hours exercise today: all manual labor trail digging with a mattock & a shovel plus 30min walk

weigh in: 98.7kg yay 1.3kg down

food eaten:
1 salad roll with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onion,carrot & beetroot
home made Vege pizza with BBQ sauce, thai tofu & fetta

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep it up Ogjon, you're responsible to Rotorburn now - so don't let us down! :wink:

Hornet50

Likes Bikes
Great effort... Just be mindful not to weigh yourself every day, as your weight will fluctuate with water/food intake/outtake. Once every few days is enough to see the progress. Good luck getting to your goal.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
Small progress but keep it consistent and you'll be there in no time.
just over 2kg down in 8-10 days ain't really a small loss especially for someone with type 2 diabetes like me, speaking with my dietitian & PT loosing that much is slightly more than the healthy weight loss recommendation.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
bit of an update weight loss to date is: 8.8kg in approx 3 & 1/2 months slow & steady & still motivated though I did put approx 2kgs back on over the Christmas/New yrs break but on the whole not a bad effort for a type 2 diabetic.

starting weight as stated in first post: 100kg
today's weight: 91.2kg
only another 11kg to get rid of :)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
bit of an update weight loss to date is: 8.8kg in approx 3 & 1/2 months slow & steady & still motivated though I did put approx 2kgs back on over the Christmas/New yrs break but on the whole not a bad effort for a type 2 diabetic.

starting weight as stated in first post: 100kg
today's weight: 91.2kg
only another 11kg to get rid of :)
That's excellent progress. We used to aim for about 12kg in a year in the diabetes clinic, so only about 250g per week. For most people that was a modest change in life style and quite achievable.

Did you take a hip to waist ratio or even a simple waist girth measurement? also a great way of measuring improvements.

Keep us posted!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Wow good stuff mate great to see. I bet your feeling better already. I sat on the same weight (by BMI was overweight but I was slim) for about 10years untill I started MTB a year ago, and more consistently about 4months ago. I always cycled to work, went to gym and never lost weight. The last 4months I have lost 8kg! It helps when you love the sport and push yourself. Plus eating healthy feels great but is so hard with so many temptations. I love a good feed and still splurge but not much. Keep it up your an inspiration.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
That's excellent progress. We used to aim for about 12kg in a year in the diabetes clinic, so only about 250g per week. For most people that was a modest change in life style and quite achievable.

Did you take a hip to waist ratio or even a simple waist girth measurement? also a great way of measuring improvements.

Keep us posted!
interesting my Dr told me to aim for 1-1.5kg per month

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
.5-1kg per week is consider a normal and reasonable level, without losing significant levels of muscle mass and carb depletion (which usually results in binge like behaviour).

We aimed for half that simply because it required smaller life style changes which was easier and it give individuals a success, which in term helps longer term motivation. Basically we aimed for a 2-5 year goal, so that was up to 60kg loss with a chunk of exercise, education and significant improvement in glucose control and general health.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
since starting a good exercise routine my bgl has stayed a constant 4millimoles before food & 6millimoles after food. I'm a vegetarian(have been for over 12yrs) was mainly my portion size & not knowing about sugar, salts & carbs in the food of which I ate too much of.
since loosing weight my bgls have improved, I don't get tired, I can concentrate better & I'm feeling a whole lot better