Getting Back Into Riding After A Decade Q&A Thread

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Hey Farkers,

So I've decided to get back into riding, it's been over a decade since I swung my leg over a bike and I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know....

And now the MTB landscape has changed so much and I am completely bamboozled by all the new standards... tapered this and boost that, 27.5, 650b, 12 x 142 axles, press fit bb's GP30, narrow wide chainrings, spiderless cranks, carbon everything etc etc...

I want to stick what I know... 26" Wheels, 1 1/8" Headtubes, High rise bars, and 68mm BB's but these things seem to have become extinct and are now impossible to source...

I have a few parts lying around so I want to build up a bike but will need some direction when making purchases.

All constructive help will be appreciated...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Banshee bikes still do some 26" compatible frames with threaded BB's. I'm sure someone would also make a headset lower cup & bearing assembly that would adapt the tapered head-tube to a straight steerer fork.

Probably other options as well...

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was actually just looking at the Banshee Amp frame, it even has ISCG 05 mounts which is uncommon these days...
Banshee amp is a dirt jump frame, yeah?

What sort of riding do you want to do? You can get a headset with an external bottom cup to allow a tapered fork in an old school head tube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cyclingdeal have some sweet old school frames with all those old standards.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

FoxRidersCo

So a complete Yeti DJ with some nice parts has come up for sale locally, the only issue is that it's the Short frame which I know will be too small top tube wise for me but I was thinking I could pillage the parts and transfer them over onto a new frame.

Tempted to pull the pin...

Will Post Some Pics Shortly

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Just a buy two six player off bikes by ascension fox and spend the rest of meat pies from the servo. You've always kept it simple.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Fearless Cycles is no more???
Not for many years, 3 jobs got too much and the dollar drop wiped out everything, all preorders in then the massive dollar drop hit. Considered moving to NZ as most sales were over there. I sell houses now.

FoxRidersCo

Not for many years, 3 jobs got too much and the dollar drop wiped out everything, all preorders in then the massive dollar drop hit. Considered moving to NZ as most sales were over there. I sell houses now.
Fair enough....

So I bought the Yeti DJ :D

It is a little cramped but it should be ok while I have my training wheels on (just getting a feel for riding again)..

Later on if I want to jump or ride extreme again I'll look at a dedicated rig but for now I'll just use the Yeti for commuting and getting out of the house

Here She Is:

FoxRidersCo

The wheels are currently set up tubeless, the tyres are quite fat/knobbly so I was hoping to put some more bitumen friendly tyres on....

Can I just put new tyres on as per normal or does the wheels being set up tubeless change that ?

Can I de-tubeless them?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The wheels are currently set up tubeless, the tyres are quite fat/knobbly so I was hoping to put some more bitumen friendly tyres on....

Can I just put new tyres on as per normal or does the wheels being set up tubeless change that ?

Can I de-tubeless them?
Would depend on the tyres you intend to put on, i.e. are there bitumen friendly tubeless ready tyres ? I would think so, but have never wanted any yet so I dunno...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Can I de-tubeless them?
Yes you can, they'll most probably have sealant in them which will make a mess when you take the old ones off and you'll need to take out the valve but then you're good to go.

moorey

call me Mia
Banshee bikes still do some 26" compatible frames with threaded BB's. I'm sure someone would also make a headset lower cup & bearing assembly that would adapt the tapered head-tube to a straight steerer fork.

Probably other options as well...
Just a crown race change. $10 on eBay.
Good to have you back @FoxRidersCo. Hope you’re back on top of everything.
Can 100% endorse most banshee bikes as bringing the gnarr and being 26/27.5 convertible (spitfire and runes particularly).
Hope hubs mean easy conversation to all axles, even to boost.
Fuck pressfit, but even that can be overcome with a converter.