Getting to Val di Sol Italy and Schladming.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
So I'm thinking about riding a couple of the greats of the WC circuit in August and was wondering if anyone has ridden Val di Sol and/or Schladming and might be able to give me some tips on getting there, places to stay etc. Will be travelling alone so hiring a car is out of the question.

Cheers!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've got no tips, but that is an awesome idea, good luck with it and shred! :first:

kurtis1984

Likes Dirt
Only a couple of minor tips;

1. Having a car is a great idea. I tried to get around Italy last year to DH. The economy was in ruins so public transport was a bit unreliable.... And the ticket machines were broken! People had to queue and buy a ticket face to face. They all wanted to talk about whatever, and I missed a bus or two waiting in line while someone talked about pasta recipes or somesuch!

2. Wifi was not working at times, even on the first class carriage in the trains.

3. My CoverMore Sim card (used it for my iphone) was only able to provide patchy coverage. Don't know whether this was a product of the failing economy or CoverMore are a bit dodgy. To be fair, they were good in France, Spain and Andorra.

Kurt

FEFF12

Cannon Fodder
Only a couple of minor tips;

1. Having a car is a great idea. I tried to get around Italy last year to DH. The economy was in ruins so public transport was a bit unreliable.... And the ticket machines were broken! People had to queue and buy a ticket face to face. They all wanted to talk about whatever, and I missed a bus or two waiting in line while someone talked about pasta recipes or somesuch!

2. Wifi was not working at times, even on the first class carriage in the trains.

3. My CoverMore Sim card (used it for my iphone) was only able to provide patchy coverage. Don't know whether this was a product of the failing economy or CoverMore are a bit dodgy. To be fair, they were good in France, Spain and Andorra.

Kurt

how did you find the DH experience in Italy? I have just come back from a 4 month backpacking trip in south america, and looking at backpacking through Italy/Germany within the next year or so.

kurtis1984

Likes Dirt
how did you find the DH experience in Italy? I have just come back from a 4 month backpacking trip in south america, and looking at backpacking through Italy/Germany within the next year or so.
To be honest, I never got a chance to DH in Italy. I booked my tickets early to see the Val di Sol WC and then they changed the date on me. I missed that chance...

When I got there, I decided to try and get to Cimone from Bologna where I was staying:

http://www.cimonebikepark.com/website/

I made the mistake of thinking I could travel less than 100km, ride for a day, then travel back, all in one day. Not gonna happen due to the experiences described above! I was bummed, because the park looked pretty cool and seemed to have a quite a few trails. Anyway, after that it was up to Andorra to see the world cup. Rode those trails the next day... Definitely a lot of fun!

So, long story short, trying to do it all in one day won't work in Italy.

Kurt