Giant 2017 range

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Seem to recall a similar thread bouncing up last year accompanied by much hypercolour and angst, which I found entertaining. Disappointingly Giant appears to have removed the LSD from their designers' water supplies for this year so there's minimal lair. What there is though, are some moderately interesting revisions (certainly more so than last year)...

http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/giant-and-liv-2017-range-highlights/

Summary: Anthem gets less lycra, Reign gets less Rockshox, Trance gets less linkage (and less ugly, the top of the range alloy and that blue carbon one look seriously good imo) and (perhaps most intriguingly for a fairly conservative brand like Giant) there's also this:

2017-Giant-XtC-carbon-hardtail-mountain-bike-29er-and-plus-1.jpg

Yes it's another plus sized hardtail. But it's also adaptable with wheelsizes and can be run SS. Also has the distinction of being the first Giant I'd consider owning for a long time.

Thoughts?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Xtc is once again a desirable hardtail but the new Anthem could be a Turner Czar for the masses...

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Did Giant make the flexpoint suspension bikes out of alloy? That seems a bit brave. I thought they were carbon fibre - which would be cool, rather than brave.

whichway

Squid
Having read about these 2017 Giants -

What is trunion mount?
And how do metric shocks make any difference?

Apart from needing to have something new to market, this all seems pretty marginal.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Having read about these 2017 Giants -

What is trunion mount?
And how do metric shocks make any difference?

Apart from needing to have something new to market, this all seems pretty marginal.
A trunion mount is one where the linkage mounts onto the shock close to the outside of the body of the shock. This wider and more compact mount style allows for a better (lighter or stiffer, chose one) linkage design.I imagine the traditional eyelet design was a pain in the ass for frame designers. It would also allow for a slightly longer shock in a design like Giants Maestro. They would be especially keen on that as Giants have typically had short strokes.

Metric... I haven't figured that one out yet.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A trunion mount is one where the linkage mounts onto the shock close to the outside of the body of the shock. This wider and more compact mount style allows for a better (lighter or stiffer, chose one) linkage design.I imagine the traditional eyelet design was a pain in the ass for frame designers. It would also allow for a slightly longer shock in a design like Giants Maestro. They would be especially keen on that as Giants have typically had short strokes.

Metric... I haven't figured that one out yet.
Another benefit of the trunnion mount is the shorter shock allows the upper rocker to be lowered, which gives a bit more room to ram the seatpost down into the frame, especially handy for droppers where you can't just lop a bit off the end to get lower in a small frame.

Metric.... well some halfwit American looked at the other side of his ruler...

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Another benefit of the trunnion mount is the shorter shock allows the upper rocker to be lowered, which gives a bit more to ram the seatpost down into the frame, especially handy for droppers where you can't just lop a bit off the end to get lower in a small frame.
A friend of mine suffers this exact problem on medium 2016 trance. Can only run a 100mm dropper as a 125 fouls on the linkage passing through the seat tube.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Some of the colourways don't really appeal to me. The top alloy trance looks cheap in my opinion. More importantly would've liked to see the geometry stretched a little more than what it has been in the top tube reach and a bit steeper seat angle. Having said that I've never ridden one and making the geo a bit more extreme would've had it knocking on the Reign's door I suppose. Do like the idea of trying boost and a metric shock in an unbeatable build to price ratio though.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
For some reason I've got it in my head that 29" wheels would be a better bet than 27.5" and as such, the Giants aren't as good as say the Scott Spark or Trek Fuel EX.. But I really like their range and the Trance 3 looks like a good deal for me (plus a dropper post).

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
For some reason I've got it in my head that 29" wheels would be a better bet than 27.5" and as such, the Giants aren't as good
The review on pinkbike seemed to say the same thing. But the last trance 29 had very long stays, especially by 2016 standards. That's probably what's holding them back.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The review on pinkbike seemed to say the same thing. But the last trance 29 had very long stays, especially by 2016 standards. That's probably what's holding them back.
Maestro link doesn't allow for short stays. Think my endurbro 29 has shorter stays than a mates trance 27.5

Short stays aren't everything, but they aren't even in the ball park on wagon wheels.

New colour schemes are better than last year... At least they have reduced the amount of giant logos slowly...

Would be keen to throw a leg over the new trance, mate loves his and he didn't really want to demo it in the first place. :lol:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
For some reason I've got it in my head that 29" wheels would be a better bet than 27.5" and as such, the Giants aren't as good as say the Scott Spark or Trek Fuel EX.. But I really like their range and the Trance 3 looks like a good deal for me (plus a dropper post).
My head's there too.. i can't help but think 27.5" might be on the way out for shorter travel trail/xc bikes, with 27.5+ or 29er taking over. If you were racing XC, why would you go for a 27.5 anthem when there are so many 29er options out there?

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
My head's there too.. i can't help but think 27.5" might be on the way out for shorter travel trail/xc bikes, with 27.5+ or 29er taking over. If you were racing XC, why would you go for a 27.5 anthem when there are so many 29er options out there?
Well, I'm short. :D

(Mind you, I'm still riding 26" wheels.)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well, I'm short. :D
I believe this is a misconception by many.
You don't have to be tall or large to ride a 29er. I think they suit a particular purpose based on their common geo's, not the riders body shape.

The common trend of XC only 29er's is also changing, with more traction in the AM and enduro genre with the Spesh Enduro, Yeti SB 5.5c etc.

Don't discount a 29er just because you're short, I wouldn't.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
I believe this is a misconception by many.
You don't have to be tall or large to ride a 29er. I think they suit a particular purpose based on their common geo's, not the riders body shape.

The common trend of XC only 29er's is also changing, with more traction in the AM and enduro genre with the Spesh Enduro, Yeti SB 5.5c etc.

Don't discount a 29er just because you're short, I wouldn't.
Well, kinda.

I know that 29ers can be made for short people. However, in my opinion, once you start getting into s and xs sized 29er bikes, they often just look weird.

I guess what I'm getting at is that 29" wheels make a lot of sense for larger riders, and I think almost everyone can benefit from them. However, the advantages for shorter riders aren't as significant. I'd probably be happy with any of the size wheels in truth, however, I can see my gf not appreciating 29" wheels.

I'm to slow to worry about different wheel sizes anyway. :D

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
Aaahhh they need to bring back the super bright matte paint jobs from the 2015 and 2016 reigns

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK giant dealers, my local guy tells me they have been told that a trail 29er is on the way in January. It will be a dually with 120mm travel..

Can others confirm this?