Giant anthem sx - the right choice?

james1

Likes Dirt
So! I'm riding a 29 anthem and thought I should probably try the whole 27.5 thing. I'm about to get a giant anthem advanced sx. But I just thought I'd ask, has anyone got and better suggestions? And has anyone ridden the new anthem sx? Epically if they had also ridden a 29 anthem.

As always thanks for the help in advance

Cheers!
James

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The SX isn't so much about wheel size differences, it's more for if the rider can't really pick between the regular Anthem or stepping up to the Trance. The SX uses the same frame & rear linkage as the standard Anthem, so keeps most of its race-oriented agility, but the longer fork gives a bit more rough terrain capability. In terms of cockpit fit the 27.5 isn't a lot different to the 29", but the front end is a bit slacker even in standard form than the big-wheeler, which will change its handling.

deez

Cannon Fodder
As someone who's recently 'upgraded' from an Anthem 29er recently, I can totally relate with the high quality problem on hand here :)

I lusted over the 2015 Anthem SX when they first launched, but held out on buying one.

And then a year later, with an upcoming Rotorua trip and Giant's 2016 range on the market, I did a backflip and went with a Trance Adv 1 instead, even though this year's Anthem SX has an incredibly awesome colourway, IMO (I like it more than the Trance actually).

Main reason: I wasn't convinced the SX would feel like a different enough bike to allow me to do more of the stuff that the Anthem 29 couldn't do. If I threw a 120mm fork and a dropper on the Anthem 29, I'd likely have much of the same bike, while saving $4k in the process.

The Trance has been incredibly fun to ride so far and is pretty unbeatable in terms of value for a brand new bike. I've been enjoying doing a lot more enduro/dh stuff where I just wasn't able to before - bringing a knife to a gunfight, etc etc.

Where it gets interesting is riding the two bikes on the same familiar trails. The Anthem is still incrementally faster going down, on all but the loosest/most technical stuff. And it's much, much faster climing and maintaining speed on flats.

TL:DR -> If you are deadset on going 27.5 and can only keep one bike, buy the Anthem SX. If you can keep the Anthem 29, buy the Trance or a similar trail/AM bike with 140-150mm travel as your fun bike to expand your riding :)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The caveat I've seen mentioned (I think it was Flow?) was the seat tube angle.. if you're long legged like me and need your saddle pretty far forward already, it could be quite a challenge on the SX with such a slack angle

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Like all bikes, it depends on how and where you ride. I freakign adore my Anthem Advanced SX, but I'm not so much into gnarley descents and like to climb.

It does get a little light in the nose climbing sometimes, and it certainly copes with the abuse downhill that i can give it.

Its a very verstaile bike though, which for some people is code for not very good anything in particular - i subscribe to the pretty bloody good at everything I do with it though.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a great bike and I love mine.
The 2016 dropper post is less setback than the earlier version, that said I still slid the seat a little forward (186cm) but it definitely helped compared to the earlier version when combined with the post angle.

Great on XC and trail riding. It's my goto bike if there is any decent pedalling.
I was surprised on how capable they are on flowy decents too.

deez

Cannon Fodder
For someone who recently 'upgraded' from a 29 Anthem, I can totally empathise with the high quality problem on hand here :)

I lusted over the 2015 Anthem SX when it first launched, but didn't go ahead with buying one. Fast forward 12 months and the 2016 SX is even sexier (that flouro colourway is amazing). But with an upcoming Rotorua trip that I need a bike for, I eventually bought the 2016 Trance Advanced 1 instead.

Main reason being that I didn't feel the SX would ride differently enough to my 29 Anthem. If I upgraded it with a 120mm fork and a dropper, I'd have a not too dissimilar bike whilst saving $4k in the process.

Some interesting observations so far, riding the two bikes on my usual trails: 29 Anthem is still marginally quicker downhill on all but the roughest/loosest stuff, and a helluva lot faster uphill and on flats. But I'm glad I bought the Trance instead, as it's allowed me to really expand my riding to a lot more of the enduro/dh stuff (where doing so with the Anthem would've been like bringing a knife to a gunfight).

I guess where I'm coming from is: if you're deadset on going 650b and can only keep one bike, buy the Anthem SX. But if you can keep two bikes and want to expand your riding, keep the 29 Anthem for XC and add another 140-150mm trail/AM bike like the Trance for the fun stuff.

james1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that info Deez I see what your saying. But as you said that Fluor green is pretty nice, so well I bought a ex demo 3 ride old 2016 anthem sx advance and it's even nicer when you see it and ride it. Only been on one ride and it's a lot faster down the hills, probably the same up buy defiantly more fun to ride all round then my 29er.

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Have just come off a 29er ( Santa Cruz Tallboy v1 ) & onto my first 27.5 wheeled bike ( Anthem advanced sx )
My circumstances have changed a little this year & i won't be racing as much xc as in previous years.

I was going to go the regular Anthem advanced, but changed my mind after a demo ride on the SX.
A mate also had the 2015 SX & i raced some XC pairs events with him last year, & the SX didn't slow him down.
The SX started to look like the obvious choice.
Will be mainly just trail riding for fun this year with the odd race, so for me the spec on the Anthem advanced sx looked perfect for the kind of trails i ride around Sydney.

Took delivery last week & had fun tweaking the suspension & getting the bike dialed over the weekend.
Swapped out the tires for some Maxxis Ikon 2.35's & the bars for a Enve sweep flat bar. removed a bunch of spacers under the stem & I'm pretty happy with the position.

This thing is a blast on the downs & pedals pretty well to. Pretty happy with my choice.
I was concerned about going 27.5 after riding 29ers exclusively for the last 4 years.
I honestly didn't notice the reduced wheel size when riding the sx for the first time, but definitely picked up on how well the OEM carbon wheels track
when cornering compared to my old stans crest 29er wheels. Bike feels nimble & fast, & a load of fun on twisty single track.

Mike95

Likes Dirt
The caveat I've seen mentioned (I think it was Flow?) was the seat tube angle.. if you're long legged like me and need your saddle pretty far forward already, it could be quite a challenge on the SX with such a slack angle
The 2016 zero offset dropper post helps overcome this somewhat.
Not something I've picked up on yet but haven't done a great deal of climbing on the bike.

Re the trance v sx, I also had the chance to demo the 2016 Trance Advanced 1 late last year on a trip to Majura Pines & thredbo.
The trance was great on the flow & AM trails at thredbo & the black run trails at Majura, but for me it felt like to much bike for the trails i spend most of my time riding around Sydney.
The position on the trance felt a bit to upright, on top of the bike, where as when i rode the Anthem i had a more familiar in the bike riding position.
Im sure id adapt to the Trance's position over time though.

damo666

Likes Dirt
Digging up an old thread....

I'm looking for a replacement for my recently stolen Trance 29er. I really enjoyed that bike, the big wheels pedalled very well everywhere, but it also felt pretty burly when descending & very confidence inspiring.

I'm thinking the Anthem SX might be close to what I need? Its even a little slacker than the Trance was, and hopefully retains some of the Anthem DNA & efficiency for pedalling.
I am just a little concerned that it might feel a little too delicate when pointing downhill? My wife has a Anthem 29er which is effortless to ride, but just feels a bit 'skinny' and delicate when compared with the Trance.

I'm a mid 40's weekend warrior so am not hucking massive drops or road gaps at all, but do enjoy small ones.....is the Anthem SX the one for me? (based in Canberra, riding mostly Stromlo or Majura).

Or to take a suggestion from earlier in this thread, do I steal back the Anthem 29er, drop a longer fork and dropper in it and save myself $4k?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Digging up an old thread....

I'm looking for a replacement for my recently stolen Trance 29er. I really enjoyed that bike, the big wheels pedalled very well everywhere, but it also felt pretty burly when descending & very confidence inspiring.

I'm thinking the Anthem SX might be close to what I need? Its even a little slacker than the Trance was, and hopefully retains some of the Anthem DNA & efficiency for pedalling.
I am just a little concerned that it might feel a little too delicate when pointing downhill? My wife has a Anthem 29er which is effortless to ride, but just feels a bit 'skinny' and delicate when compared with the Trance.

I'm a mid 40's weekend warrior so am not hucking massive drops or road gaps at all, but do enjoy small ones.....is the Anthem SX the one for me? (based in Canberra, riding mostly Stromlo or Majura).

Or to take a suggestion from earlier in this thread, do I steal back the Anthem 29er, drop a longer fork and dropper in it and save myself $4k?
Are you open to other suggestions apart from Giant? I would think a new Fuel EX 29er or a Camber 29 would be a great replacement.

damo666

Likes Dirt
Have you seen the 2017 Anthem yet?
Yeah they look good! Thats what got me thinking an Anthem might suit, just not sure if the budget will stretch to a 2017 bike therefore looking at the older ones.

Are you open to other suggestions apart from Giant? I would think a new Fuel EX 29er or a Camber 29 would be a great replacement.
No not particularly wedded to Giant, but they do seem to have a pretty good level of kit for the dollars spent. I rode a Camber 29 at a demo day recently and really liked it (admittedly it was a $12k S-works one!!), but as I am pertty average sized thought I may try the smaller wheels this time.

james1

Likes Dirt
I love my anthem sx, I thrash it as hard as I possibly can and can't kill it and never feels to delicate to me, especially with the 2.2-2.4 tyres on it.
I had a anthem 29 before and I'm actually slower on the new sx, not 100%! Sure why but it's 30 seconds over a 30 minutes lap, so nothing much. But when you break down the lap times in way quick on the downs, slower on the flats and about the same or bit slower on the ups. Which in my view is to be expected because the bigger wheels just role faster once moving.
I can throw the sx around more and seems easier to change direction then the 29 and definitely less twitchie and more stable when you get moving fast.
By no means would I suggest it for hitting big jumps (go a new trance for that) but for rollers, smooth jumps and just pumping and popping of things the sx is more then capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stu-2

Likes Dirt
Just reading this the thread and I thought I would mention that I have put a 120mm fork in my anthem X29. What a difference this has made, should have done this 4 years ago,

froutts

Cannon Fodder
Sizing help??

Hi I am looking at a used medium 2015 anthem advanced sx, according to the giant size chart I am a medium. I normally ride large size frames (other brands).
I am 5'11" / 180-181 cm. about 32"

Basically, would this size work - I don't wan to be cramped, but do these bike come up large? It is an 18" seat tube, 23.5" top tube. Th large goes to 20" seat tube and 24.5 top tube.

Also opinions on the bikes trail ability, I know it will climb and corner great, how is it when it gets bit rowdy and rough?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Size suitability will largely depend on your leg/torso proportions, because you're pretty borderline on the height range. For reference, I'm a tad shorter than you, but quite long-legged for my height so am at the top end of a medium 'cos I run a lot of seat height, but the reach is right. I can ride a large, but the reach is a bit cumbersome. If you're similarly short in the torso, the medium will probably be OK. Try to wrangle a decent test on the bike, because you won't really get an idea of it until you put it through its paces.

As for on the dirt, although slacker than older Anthems, moreso in SX trim, it's still a pretty tight XC-oriented rig, but is decently capable on moderately hefty going; remember it is still only a 120mm fork/100mm rear.