Giant backflip to Fox, ditch DVO

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
About a third of bikes I saw on the trails today were e-mtbs.
It is a slow but steady growth.

Makes you feel inadequate to be the guy pedalling up a hill when someone calls to let you know they will pass and they aren't pushing hard to do it either.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Makes you feel inadequate to be the guy pedalling up a hill when someone calls to let you know they will pass and they aren't pushing hard to do it either.

Everyone in my group was on high end enduro style e-mtbs so I got to give a couple a go. Can see why the growing in popularity, they give way more assistance than I thought and are piss easy to ride. Much prefer a standard mtb for riding downhill tho and not something that particularly interests me.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

They call to let you know they'll pass where you ride? Luxury!

I don't mind if they pass me, but f**k I'd love it if they'd actually call out in advance.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Everyone in my group was on high end enduro style e-mtbs so I got to give a couple a go. Can see why the growing in popularity, they give way more assistance than I thought and are piss easy to ride. Much prefer a standard mtb for riding downhill tho and not something that particularly interests me.
I can appreciate that we will be seeing many more of these are time rolls on. I'm not interested until my body gives out either.

I get the idea but sure must be a bummer when that battery goes flat.

I'm not all Luddity for new stuff although I sure sound like it. I kind of like the simplicity of a bike and loading it up with too much complex stuff isn't where I think the fun should be.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They call to let you know they'll pass where you ride? Luxury!

I don't mind if they pass me, but f**k I'd love it if they'd actually call out in advance.
Last one snuck up right behind me and announced himself which was pretty honourable come to think of it.

My response sounded like something between seeing a ghost and bblleaarrgghhh......geeezzz...dontdothat....

Warp

Likes Dirt
This was replied by the guys from Vital when unasked the question.
Welp, let's be honest... I don't see why the XC guys would haul almost 1,900grs of 32mm forks when Fox has something in 34mm like 200-300grs lighter that does roughly the same. I guess they could live with the shock, though.

Edit... Giant could have looked smart and keep the Gravity team on DVO and the XC crowd on Fox. They do it on their lineup somehow anyways. But I guess that required a lot of financial gymnastics.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Someone said a lack of colour was a lack of imagination.?? Cyan + magenta is too much.
Too much of a free choice can be bad too. Have a browse to a Nicolai thread and you'll see. Yeah, there are beautiful creations and some others that only a loving blind mother could love.

That is the reason also why Baum can and will refuse to give you exactly what you want if they think it looks shit. I applaud that.

Yeah but the colourway is shit.
Not only that, sometimes their designs are total eyesores.
A particular good start for Giant would be to ditch their factory colour... seriously. That blue shade is hideous and you have to eat it every time you want to get the top version of a particular model.

Case in point... My 2015 Anthem SX Alloy. Fantastic bike but that Blue/Yellow/Silver colourway was hideous. The bike was nailed but it looked shit no matter what.
I was interested on the TCR Adv Pro 0... Hell of a deal, but it has the factory colour again. I don't want to commit the same mistake and live with a bike I hate looking at.

Every once in a blue moon, Giant get it right and gets decent colours... on the most shitty spec'ed bikes normally.
Case in point... My Trance 29er 2 Alloy... That blue is really nice! Pictures don't make justice to it and it's nicely colour matched all over the bike with the stickers and such. But the stock spec is the bottom of the barrel for that particular model.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Welp, let's be honest... I don't see why the XC guys would haul almost 1,900grs of 32mm forks when Fox has something in 34mm like 200-300grs lighter that does roughly the same. I guess they could live with the shock, though.
I'd happily sacrifice 300g for consistent, off the top, small bump compliance. My area is flat so I don't have to worry about climbing, but I still have to accelerate that extra mass. A price I'm willing to pay. Still a bit pissed about not being able to grab a pair of black Sapphire 32s before they stopped making 100mm forks.

I'm riding SID RLCs. They take big hits beautifully, but other than the first ride after a lower leg lube, I may as well be on rigid fork for 90% of where I ride.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Every once in a blue moon, Giant get it right and gets decent colours... on the most shitty spec'ed bikes normally.
Case in point... My Trance 29er 2 Alloy... That blue is really nice! Pictures don't make justice to it and it's nicely colour matched all over the bike with the stickers and such. But the stock spec is the bottom of the barrel for that particular model.
Something went terribly wrong at Giant for 2016 and they released a whole bunch of bikes that looked good. Go check it out, I'll wait. Designers must've tried using paint as intended rather than sniffing it. I actually quite like the top spec blue, but the team bikes decked out in Fox TEAM ORANGE look like a total 11th hour changeover. Rubbish.

Is there any more information on why Fox got the job for this year or is the consensus DVO wasn't doing the XC stuff? I've heard all sorts of rumours (including some sad ones like tooling up for mass production supply to Giant was causing DVO to miss out some fairly fundamental stuff like quality control).

Either way, Giant binning them off after one season really doesn't look good. I really hope we see DVO back supplying a factory team soon cus their stuff is apparently super rad and having more suspension suppliers is great for the sport imo.

teK--

Eats Squid
I guess Giant doesn't value suspension which is easily tuneable and serviceable at home...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I guess Giant doesn't value suspension which is easily tuneable and serviceable at home...
Definitely not, way too heavily invested in lbs structure.. There's a reason most stores are covered with graphics at giants cost..

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm riding SID RLCs. They take big hits beautifully, but other than the first ride after a lower leg lube, I may as well be on rigid fork for 90% of where I ride.
I thought it was just me. First ride feels great and then very quickly goes to crap. Not sure why this doesn't happen on longer travel forks as pronounced.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Have we played this game before?
Not in the last twelve months ;)

I thought it was just me. First ride feels great and then very quickly goes to crap. Not sure why this doesn't happen on longer travel forks as pronounced.
Not owning longer travel forks I can't say 100%, but for me it's straight up stiction from the seals & wipers. I've been leaving my bike inverted two nights a week and having the foam wiper rings bathing in oil seemed to help.

But last time I had them apart I changed from a 20 year old tub of Slick Honey to a 10 year old tub of Michelin Bike Grease and I coated the foam rings with it as well. Made a huge difference, just have to wait and see how long it lasts.

Might even spring for a new tub of grease soon.

Reactions: Zaf

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless you are a home mechanic or love blowing huge $$$ on servicing forks regularly, I think most forks are just ok with regular use.