giant dh chain guides

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
ok this is for my brother but he wants to no if you can put any other sort of chain guide on a giant dh comp the new one. other then the mr control or what every it comes with cause he is hering that you cant . so what have you's herd.

thanks.

Ty

Eats Squid
evil/e.13 srs will fit, might have issues getting one in australia (PM me if you really want one)

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
apparently norco is distributing the evil/ e-13 guides in OZ. no word on availability. or you can order them from the US via unrealcycles.com . They are cheap chain guides ($110 us) and will kick the arse of most others in my opinion.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
yeah he thought that they might .it's just that they aren't that easy to get even with norco doing them so no mrp compatablitly then.

i don't know why he don't like the one thats on there but anyway that just my brother.

more pic have bin put up.

word up.

Ty

Eats Squid
ok i ordered my SRS today (through norco) should be here in the next month or so, it'll be a bit over $300 landed in australia. remember about import duty and GST when ordering from the states. i'll post a full review when i get the sucka

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
usually on a package that small you won't get charged for import duty or GST. I would expect to pay $250 Oz at the minimum i reckon (depending on freight from the US)

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ty` said:
ok i ordered my SRS today (through norco) should be here in the next month or so, it'll be a bit over $300 landed in australia. remember about import duty and GST when ordering from the states. i'll post a full review when i get the sucka
You will be more than impressed.
This is a pretty close copy of their original guide. Works a treat and it's not even set up as well as it could be.

Ty

Eats Squid
from what i hear the best part of the guide isn't the bash guard, thats just a cool looking extra, the actual chain device is ment to be something special.

btw, thats a nice looking personalized guide you've got there Gutty

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, well the new one works in just the same way only the top now has a solid guide instead of a roller and the bottom has a jockey wheel type roller with a plate over it. The basic principle hasn't changed from their series 1 or 01 guide, just a little cheaper to manufacture and a bit more reliable as far as breakages go.(a few people had problems with the rollers like mine cracking)
About the plastic bash plate, you'll find it slides over rocks/roots alot easier, it's twice as strong as any ally plate.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
more on that "cool looking axtra" bashplate.

this is a pic of what happened to mine when i hit it(pretty damn hard) with a 2"diameter x 2ft long solid steel bar. Trust me, any ally plate would be toast. Add to that mine is just straight Lexan where the Evil/e13 is injection moulded from a special blend of Makralon which makes it even stronger still.

as i said, you'll be very happy with it.

S.

ex offender
Gutty said:
more on that "cool looking axtra" bashplate.

this is a pic of what happened to mine when i hit it(pretty damn hard) with a 2"diameter x 2ft long solid steel bar. Trust me, any ally plate would be toast. Add to that mine is just straight Lexan where the Evil/e13 is injection moulded from a special blend of Makralon which makes it even stronger still.

as i said, you'll be very happy with it.

I woulda laughed if you had missed the bashguard and smashed the shit outta your downtube or something :wink:

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
I woulda laughed if you had missed the bashguard and smashed the shit outta your downtube or something :wink:
:evil: yes you would have wouldn't you........ass. :evil:

lindsay

Likes Dirt
I don't know if an MRP will fit a giant (psycho what do you think?) but they are tn times better than an E13. Don't make a noise and never ever drop chains. How can you say an E13 is better when know one can run them here cause you can't get them.

Ty

Eats Squid
have a look/search on hcor.net or ridemonkey.com about e.13/evil chain guides, everyone pretty much loves them, plus the lexen has got to be better than the mrp alloy guide for sprocket grinds/stalls and such.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
Hey Gutty, how thick is that Lexan on your guide? Looks like about 8-10mm?
And whats it's behaviour when stressed to failure? i imagine it shatters rather than bending? not that it looks like it'll reach that stage. and how does the material cost of the lexan compare to alloy?

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well as you'll see in one of my above posts i have hit the plate pretty damn hard, i actually think i may have bent my BB spindle just a touch. So it's pretty strong stuff. If you did bend it to breaking point it could kinda shatter but i'd like to see someone try and bend 13mm(1/2 inch) Lexan. that'd be funny........it is tough stuff.
As for price, hhmmmm, i have made 2 of those bash plates and the lexan for both cost me a carton of VB but i'd guess the price would be around $40 for Joe Blogs to buy it, i've also made an 8mm thick ally plate for YetiDher(the guy that shot all the sea otter pics on transcend) and that peice of ally cost me about $20-25 so really the prices are very close.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
This has to be one of the stupidest questions ive ever asked....but would an E13 chainguide/bashguard fit my Giant DhTeam (the newer of the red and yellow models). Im reasonably happy with my AC chainguide, and the frame is custom designed to fit this chainguide.....but i feel im missing out without the bashguard.
Hrmmm....just wondering....so if any of you guys have any comments id much appreciate any input on this rather dodgy subject.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
thats not a stupid question . it's better to find out then to out lay the dosh and it dosn't fit.

but for the answer i wouldn't know cause i don't know anyone with one of those models of giant. post it on anlther forum as well if ya don't get a response. but always come back hear.