Giant NRS or AC

Aman

Likes Bikes
I currently have a Giant Iguana. The bike has lasted me 6 months so far but the crankes, rims and a lot of other cheap components are starting die.

I only have around $3000 to spend on a bike, so I'm looking at the AC 2 and the NRS 2. Both bikes are nice but which one is best for what i need it for.............

I do XC but I like to ride hard and climb hills.........Is the AC going to be any good for climbing.........

CHEWY

Eats Squid
AC's rnt very good for climbing, although in the 4.5 inch setting the rear end can be made very stiff. if XC is ur game i wouldnt go past the NRS. nice bikes...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Is there some reason that you're only looking at Giant? (ie. is that what your LBS has?). The NRS is a nice XC bike, but it isn't fully active, so you may find that you could get a more suitable bike for your riding style.

Ty

Eats Squid
the 03/04 ACs have swinger 4 shocks which make them pedal far better then the 01/02 models, still probably not the best thing if your climbing all day but they are great bikes for just getting out and riding trails.

(just finished tasha AC too, she should get some photos up soon)

Aman

Likes Bikes
When I think about it the AC, can't be that bad. I'm new to MTB so I don't want to restrict myself to only XC.

I think the AC would be better. Just one last thing does anyone know if the how much the AC weighs...........

Aman

Likes Bikes
I know what a vt is, but they don't have much travel..........

And there not easy to get hold of.........

bingle

Likes Bikes
i own a NRS and my best mate owns a AC so i have ridden both bikes quite alot. the NRS will die a quick deat if you are going to go out and thrash it and jump it. the SID rear shock will need to be rebuilt endlessly as well. the bike will climb fantastically but will not handle a real thrashing going back down.
the AC is not to bad to climb for a freeride bike but it doesn't even compare to the NRS in climbing ability.
If you are new to the sport i would recomend the VT. this will allow you to learn what you prefer and will be a good cross between the two. Don't worry ablout lack of travel yet VT for sure if you want to have a go at everything.

Ty

Eats Squid
heres another option that i've seen, AC air, it's like a normal AC but with a sid rear shock, that way you can test the XC waters and a bit of freeriding, if you choose to XC pump the shock up nice and hard and put it in the 4 inch mode and you should have a bike that climbs quite well (tasha seems to be able to climb her 30ish pound AC pretty well in the 6 inch position with a coil) or if you find you like freeride/light DH more get a coil for it.

Aman

Likes Bikes
I've started some big climbs and I think I'm begining to like XC. And from what I've read about the sespention on the bikes I might actually buy a NRS. I was riding my hardtail and it turns out that on average I'm not using more than 80 mm of travel. And plus I'm not big into the whole FR thing.

matt462

Likes Dirt
does a Iguana have more than 80mm in the fork.

"I know what a vt is, but they don't have much travel.......... " Its got 5.75 plenty of travel for a xc bike. Plus it will let you rip down the hills when you (and you will) want to.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aman - my 2002 Ac1 weighed in just shy of 32lbs.

I think that the AC would be better because with the NRS you are really restricted to the type of riding you can do on it e.g mainly xc - But with the AC you can do a little xc - dh - freeride - dirt jumping - drops - hell you could even race it sport/beginner DH and be competetive
But it all depends on what you want to get out of riding