Giant ocr1 2008 ?

MTB4ME

Likes Bikes
Im looking for my first road bike and the main contender would have to be the 2008 giant ocr1... Since i have nearly no idea about road bikes i would like to hear what other people think of this bike and any suggestions on other bikes in the $1000 to $1400 price range ?

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Ocr1

I've got an OCR Composite, about 2 years old, in the garage among the other 2 Giants I own (both MTBs, of course). Jumping off an MTB, I find the geometry quite relaxed (for a road bike) and the ergonomics are excellent. The compact crankset (Ultegra, in my case) provided a good range of cogs, but I swapped the cluster for an 11-27 because of its intended purpose - hill climb training. As a training bike, it's ideal. If your commute is mostly road, it would work quite well too. No complaints about the quality of parts (for the price). The only problem you're likely to experience is Eurobike snobbery. Who cares. More money for MTBs anyway.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Ocr1

Well - I have the 05 OCR0. I think the frame is very similar to the current model, but I have Ultegra 10sp stuff. In retrospect, I should have kept the 9sp gear which came stock. I am about to put on a compact crank. The 08OCR comes with a compact crank.

I don't love the shimano wheels 550 (I think) and have a few spokes break on me, but otherwise it suits me to a T. I think the 08 OCR has 500 wheels which have a few more spokes.

It has cruisy (for a road bike) geometry and it was great value. I think the OCR range has moved downmarket ie itpreviously was a 105 bike and is now Tiagra. However, I would happily buy the current 08 OCR1.