Giant PXCR0 Tubeless conversion

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
If converting the wheels to tubeless is the yellow rim strip supposed to be removed and replaced with tape? The kit with the wheels came with tape so unsure.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hard to see from picture, but yes, most rims come with a fabric liner which is to stop the tube from pinching on spoke holes. Take out fabric liner, clean with metho and run tubeless tape

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Bin both tapes and use either your stans tape or Gorilla Tape. The Giant/DT Swiss tape will work but not for long. I found it started moving around and once contaminated wouldn't stick anymore.
I have the same wheels and Gorilla tape works a treat. I think I got a 25mm roll and trimmed it down about 3mm. It's more secure than Stans tape.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes must go cleanskin by removing all tape, then gaffa (25mm from masters), then if you want bomb proof set up, put on 2-3 wraps of tape starting at valve hole and put in tube, pump to 40psi and leave for 24hrs. now only remove one side tyre bead to get out tube, put in stans (2 caps), and up you go with compressor of course.

use sealer silastic on valve as that's where they slow leak.

use stans method to seal tyre, that's sit flat, shake turn sit flat for 20 minutes or so, using soap to check seal.

never trust tubeless conversion on high speed corner descent on road as your rim aren't stans fit.

Last edited:

acads

Likes Dirt
Ive got the PXCR1's on my bike , as mentioned remove yellow strip and clean rim before applying preferred rim strip/tape ( ive got the red dtswiss strips and they work well ) .

mtb101 , I haven't heard that about rolling the tyre on high speed road section . Ive hooked in to some decent corners at 40ish without rolling a tyre but will take the advice .

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Thanks all. Removed the yellow strip and put some Stans tape in. In 11 years of running tubeless this is the first tire/wheel combo I couldn't setup with a floor pump. Not even CO2 has seat the bead. Now I need to find an air compressor.