Giant Recalls Anthem X 29er Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Not sure if this applies to Australia models, but I can't see how it wouldn't... (Disregard the bit about price, I'm sure you lot paid 2x for them.) :p:cool:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11038.html

Giant Recalls Anthem X 29er Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: 2011 Model Year Anthem Giant Bicycles

Units: About 370

Importer: Giant Bicycle Inc., of Newbury Park, Calif.

Manufacturer: Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd., of Taiwan

Hazard: The frame can crack at the junction of the seat post and top tube, posing a fall hazard to riders.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: This recall involves 2011 model year Giant Anthem X 29er 1, 2 and 3 model bicycles. The bicycles were sold in small, medium and large. “Giant” and the model name are printed on the bicycle.

Sold by: Authorized Giant Bicycle dealers nationwide during August 2010 for between $2,200 and $3,500.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop riding the recalled bicycles and contact any authorized Giant Bicycle dealer for a free inspection and repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Giant Bicycle toll-free at (866) 458-2555 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website at www.giant-bicycles.com

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aussie models have been recalled and fixed already. If it's the same fault (and it looks like it)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is that a crack above the X in the picture? I assumed the vulnerable area at rear.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Yeah, i'm pretty sure this was the original recall. Note the lack of XLs being recalled there..

tegski

Likes Dirt
Didn't know that any had been sold in the USA yet…
Recall already happened here - my bike has been recalled and replaced.
Interestingly no public announcement by Giant or any website info - just the dealers ringing up the customers and replacing bikes with loan bikes until the new frames were replaced - very happy with this service from Giant.
Re the price - Strangely they are cheaper here in Australia than USA!
We only get the Anthem 1 29er and this retails for AUD$3499 - so buy when you're in Melb...
Bike working well - still very shiny and fast.