Giant Reign or Specialized Big Hit

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Been looking at getting a new bike and have been looking quite a lot at a Big Hit. so i went into Chain reaction Cronulla to have a chat with them about the big hit and he pretty much Puled me away from it and got talking about Giant Reigns.
So what do you guys think?

I ride mostly in the shire (wonnie heights and Bangor) but am looking at going down to Bulli and Ourimbah. i am 16 and still growing and improving. looking at medium sized frame.
So as the title suggests what should i buy??

P.s what about 2nd hand??? any major traps??:confused:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on the type of riding you are going to be doing.

The Reign is a XC/AM bike.

The bighit is closer to a DH bike

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Yer I'm doing more DH than AM. The guy at the bike shop said that anything you can do on the big hit you could do on the reign :/ so I'm not to sure at the moment but I like the big hit more.

leadz

Likes Bikes
I am specialized

Yer I'm doing more DH than AM. The guy at the bike shop said that anything you can do on the big hit you could do on the reign :/ so I'm not to sure at the moment but I like the big hit more.
Hi i have a big hit 2. and if you are doing more dh then go the big hit its a sick bike..

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
i've got a big hit 1 2009 and it's a very nice ride dh, it's plush and pedals fairly efficiently for a bike with that much suspension.

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
i am currently looking at a second hand big hit 2 (2009) on bikeexchange.com.
is there anything major to be careful of buying second hand??:confused:

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Are this about a Reign or Reign X? If the the bikeshop guy was talking Reign vs Big Hit - he's an idiot. Even if it was Reign X vs Big Hit I'd go with the Big Hit.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
i am currently looking at a second hand big hit 2 (2009) on bikeexchange.com.
is there anything major to be careful of buying second hand??:confused:
I would only buy second hand if I was able to see the bike first. I'd be looking for a tight and clean bike. If I found slop in the hubs, BB, headset, shock pivot bearings or suspension leaks or scratches on the fork upper legs - I'd walk away.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The guy in the bike shop is wrong.

Sure the reign is a great bike (I own one) but it is not suited to DH at all.

The big hit on the other hand is suited to Downhill.

The two bikes are totally different and shouldnt even be compared.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with the last comment ( rstwosix ) a bike like that could really have copped a flogging! View before you purchase - and if your not bike savvy... take someone who is. :)

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
I would only buy second hand if I was able to see the bike first. I'd be looking for a tight and clean bike. If I found slop in the hubs, BB, headset, shock pivot bearings or suspension leaks or scratches on the fork upper legs - I'd walk away.
Yer the bike (big hit) is in Manly, and i am in Sutherland (opposite side of the city) but i will defiantly go and have a look first. the guy says in the ad that it has only been used once for downhill and that was in ourabah, and that he is selling it to buy a XC bike which makes sense because he lives in manly (manly dam is pretty much all XC ridding (correct me if im wrong:p) it is a 2009 model so i am thinking that he has bought it riddenen it once or twice and worked out that its the wrong bike for him and it has taken him a year or so to actually sell it.

The guy in the bike shop is wrong.

Sure the reign is a great bike (I own one) but it is not suited to DH at all.

The big hit on the other hand is suited to Downhill.

The two bikes are totally different and shouldnt even be compared.
Thats what i was thinking as i was standing there looking at the 2 bikes next to each other.

oh and also when i do go took at it, basically if it looks used and as lots of shuttle scratches, on the frame or fork there is probably other hidden issues ''under the paint''??

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
All DH bikes get scratched. If it's nice and tight feeling all over and doesn't have any of the slop issues I talked about it's more than likely ok.