Giant stp sizing

Hi there,
Firstly my apologies for my first post being a question - this seemed like the best place to ask after googling for aaaages.
My bf wants to get into mountain biking so I was going to pick him up a bike for xmas. I found a Giant stp 14.5 size which would be perfect but I cannot work out the sizing very well. He has a Merida scultura roadbike with a 52cm frame & by looking at the specs it seems the top tube on the giant is about 4cm longer. Ideally the smaller version would be better but this looks like a great bike & I was wondering if mountain bikes can be a little longer due to their different geometry or if I should just give it away. He's about 5"7.
Some seem to say the bigger frame is better for trails & the smaller better for jumping but I have no idea what I'm doing with this, so if anyone could help out that would be really great.
Thanks

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The 14.5 size in a Giant STP is known as the large size. Being primarily a jump bike, it does have a smaller than normal top tube as it is more compact that a "ride around the park" kind of mountain bike.
In all honesty, if he wants to ride trails both up and down than I wouldn't get the STP, they are pretty short and low to the ground and aren't great fun to pedal when you need an upright position.
What is your budget? We can suggest something in that range that would suit.

That's good to know, thanks Dozer. I'm looking for something second-hand (he prefers that) and I was thinking up to around $500. I think he'll mostly take it along a creek, but if he gets into it he'll want to do more than that I think.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
After a quick google I reckon the merida would be the better bike, giant strata is more budgety.
Do you have any direct links to the bikes in question?

To reiterate dozer, the stp is a dirt jump bike, not really suited to cruising around on. Heavy, geo made for standing etc.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What sort of riding does the bf want to do? You said he had a road bike, does he pretty much want to road bike on dirt and trails? Or is he the kind of guy that will want to shred jumps, hit the skate park, and get loose on fast descending trails? Maybe he will be looking for an all rounder, grinding up hills and bombing down the other side?

I think the size will be ok for him if he wants to ride the bike for its intended purpose.

The stp is a fun bike to play around on, but if that isn't his thing it isn't going to be fun. I popped a couple of pics on because I haven't uploaded a pic for ages! Oh and it's the type of stuff an stp is fun for.

Attachments

Looks awesome, I think to start with he wants to do some dirt trails around the creek but he might get into more fun stuff later

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If this is more his style, definitely steer away from the stp. That other giant you linked to looks not so good. The Merits bikes might be the better options.

Where are you guys located? And what age range is this lucky fellow?

Attachments

Ok great, will do. He's 35 & very fit & active & we're in Melbourne. Thanks for all your help with this, I had no idea how little idea I have of what I'm doing before today.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok great, will do. He's 35 & very fit & active & we're in Melbourne. Thanks for all your help with this, I had no idea how little idea I have of what I'm doing before today.
Im 39. My ride crew stretches from mid teens right up to bumping 50. It isn't often someone rocks up to the trails on day 1 and says the reason they want to ride an mtb is to work the jumps, rail the berms, and huck to flat. But they all end up there eventually...

When you say Creek, are you talking about the Yarra trails network? If so there is a large thread on here filled with guys who could likely provide great insight as to suitable bikes for cruising the area.

That bike looks amazing but out of my price range right now, unfortunately. He wants to go off the established trails & I think ride through the bushier areas along merri creek (if we're talking the same Yarra trails which are covered bike paths), but I reckon he'll start going out on weekends to proper mountain bike trails if he gets in to it.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Genie_Lou I own a giant STP, it was the first MTB I bought and completely wrong for what I had in mind. It is a jump and street bike I still have it and love it for it's intended use (jumping stuff) but it's really a horrible bike for trails in my opinion. I learnt this very quickly the hard way and ended up buying a bike far more suited to riding MTB trails. I too suggest avoiding the STP from what you say your partner wants to ride and keep en eye out for something better suited.