Giant trance 27.5 2ish

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the Mitchy.

Makes me think how funny it is, how much we all spend just on aesthetics. $15 isn't to bad from Shapeways, but its $20 for postage, so I'm about to drop $35 bucks on a little piece of plastic.
Or do I go the Wolftooth one with a picture of a wolf for $32 delivered.

But I cant have an ugly metal spot on my frame.

Edit:

$15 for the ibis delivered, Bloody bargain Mate

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds about right, I went to this nameless shop about 10:30 Saturday morning to get my new headset pressed into the Trance and have the old one whacked out.
Went up to the guy at the back in the maintenance shop and asked if he could do it for me, and he says sure no problems. I'm thinking sweet, he will do it right now for me as it looks like he is not doing anything anyway, no bikes on his clamps in the workshop, having a coffee and was chatting with one of the floor sales guys in the shop.
He goes to me, "I cant do it right now though sorry". I'm like, "that's fine can I'll just pop down the street and grab a coffee, i'll be back in about 20?". "Nah sorry mate wont be done till probably Monday arvo".
"Really?, Isnt it like a 10 minute Job?", I asked.
"Yeah, but I have other bikes already booked in to work on".
"I'll go somewhere else thanks champ".

Went to The Freedom Machine in Church street, Brighton. Bloke in there, Nick I think his name was did it for me in 10 minutes and was asking me about my changes and the new forks and was telling me about his Orange with Pikes. Good bloke. Ended up spending over $100, new chain and a few bits and bobs.
Pleasure I could help mate, boss loved the write up so much it featured on our website!
http://www.freedommachine.com.au/testimonials

Let me know if I can help and maybe hook up a ride when your knee is better!

Cheers
Nick

Nautonier

Eats Squid
+1 for TFM Brighton, after ringing just about every bike shop in Melbs to find a replacement shock pump and coming up with nada (umm, what's with that, all FS bikes or bikes with air forks need one...), they sorted me out with one for a great price that has proven to be a superb piece of kit.

Any reason why you're not rocking a dropper post?

Defo check out Red Hill, I live in Elwood as well and it's exactly the same distance as the Youis, but with a bit more elevation and more variation. You do need to get your hill climb on a bit more though.

Optic

Likes Dirt
+1 for TFM Brighton, after ringing just about every bike shop in Melbs to find a replacement shock pump and coming up with nada (umm, what's with that, all FS bikes or bikes with air forks need one...), they sorted me out with one for a great price that has proven to be a superb piece of kit.

Defo check out Red Hill, I live in Elwood as well and it's exactly the same distance as the Youis, but with a bit more elevation and more variation. You do need to get your hill climb on a bit more though.
I've never been to red Hill, how does it compared to the youies? And do you think anyone would be heading out there tomorrow morning?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've never been to red Hill, how does it compared to the youies? And do you think anyone would be heading out there tomorrow morning?
There's always people riding there on weekends, although the weather today was shiteful, so some will stay away as some of it will be sloppy. If you pick your tracks, many of them hold up really well in the wet. Not quite as good as the Youis, but much better than Listy.

I find that Red Hill offers more variation than the Youis and the trails are a bit more 'natural', rather than overly groomed. There are no trail maps though, so you have to go with people in the know, the Red Hill Riders club (who leave at 8am on Sundays), or be very good at finding Strava segments and knowing how to actually get to them on a regular map.

Red Hill offers trail and DH riding and most of the DH stuff can be done on a trail bike if you're a reasonably confident rider. Access is good, but requires a bit of fitness to get up some climbs more significant than you would find at the Youis. But you are rewarded with longer descents.

Optic

Likes Dirt
There's always people riding there on weekends, although the weather today was shiteful, so some will stay away as some of it will be sloppy. If you pick your tracks, many of them hold up really well in the wet. Not quite as good as the Youis, but much better than Listy.

I find that Red Hill offers more variation than the Youis and the trails are a bit more 'natural', rather than overly groomed. There are no trail maps though, so you have to go with people in the know, the Red Hill Riders club (who leave at 8am on Sundays), or be very good at finding Strava segments and knowing how to actually get to them on a regular map.

Red Hill offers trail and DH riding and most of the DH stuff can be done on a trail bike if you're a reasonably confident rider. Access is good, but requires a bit of fitness to get up some climbs more significant than you would find at the Youis. But you are rewarded with longer descents.
Thanks for the info mate, will you be heading out there tomorrow? I'm keen to go for a ride there or the youies tomorrow.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks for the info mate, will you be heading out there tomorrow? I'm keen to go for a ride there or the youies tomorrow.
I'll be heading there with some mates, but not until later in the day when it's had a chance to dry out. I ride there often, so feel free to PM me to perhaps meet up some time so I can show you around. Also happy to send you some info.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt

Honestly I don't, but they seam to be the bee's knee's so I think that might be in the near future.
Want to upgrade the shock first. Then probably the dropper.

My family has a place at Somers so I'll definitely be doing some major exploring down at Red Hill in the near future, once footy seasons finishes and this pesky knee settles.