Giant trance 27.5 2ish

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Frame - Giant trance 27.5 2 (however there is not much left of the 2)
Rear shock - Fox float
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi 350cr
Handlebars - Easton Haven
Stem - Raceface respond 40mm
Headset - Chris King inset 2
Grips - Oury lockon
Saddle - SDG matrix
Seatpost - Easton carbon
Front brake - XT
Rear brake - XT
Cranks - XT with RaceFace NW 32 single
Chain - XT
Pedals - Saints
Rear derailleur - XT clutch
Rear shifter - XT
Cassette - XT 11-34
Front hub - Hope evo II
Rear hub - Hope evo II
Front rim - Stans Arch
Rear rim - Stans Arch
Tyres - Front - maxxis ardent 2.25, Rear - Maxxis minon dhr II 2.30

Total weight - Dunno, don't really care.

Purchased the Black trance with the idea of upgrading over time, as the black frame trance is easily the best looking.
Just update the fork to the Marzocchi 350cr's.
Next upgrade I have in mind is a 11-36 cassette with a 42t cog for the real pinch climbs.
Then the shock.
Ride report on the 350's in a week or so once the bone bruising on my knee cap settles.
Really sucks looking at the bike but not being able to ride it with the new forks.

Last edited:

Optic

Likes Dirt
Frame - Giant trance 27.5
Rear shock - Fox float
Front shock/fork - Fox Evo
Handlebars - Easton Haven
Stem - Chrommag ranger 50mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - Oury lockon
Saddle - SDG matrix
Seatpost - Easton carbon
Front brake - XT
Rear brake - XT
Cranks - XT with RF NW 32 single
Chainguide - none
Chain - XT
Pedals - Saints
Front derailleur - none
Rear derailleur - XT clutch
Front shifter - none
Rear shifter - XT
Cassette - XT 11-34
Front hub - Hope evo
Rear hub - Hope evo
Front rim - Stans Arch
Rear rim - Stans Arch
Spokes - Metal ones
Nipples - Mothers milk
Tyres - Front - maxxis ardent 2.25, Rear - Maxxis minon dhr II 2.30
Tubes - inflatable ones
Total weight - Dunno, don't really care.

My first dual suspension bike and absolutely love it, chose the 2 for the black frame with the idea of upgrading over time. Only stock items left from original purchase are frame, fork, shocks, headset and BB.
Looking on getting some pike's and maybe a new rear shock in the near future, see how the tax return is, otherwise in a few more months of saving some I'm not 100% broke.
[/URL][/IMG]
Exactly the same thinking as myself mate, Love my trance,

how are you finding the brakes compared to the ones it came with? as well as the wheels you've chosen?

mines practically stock still, waiting for things to wear out before I upgrade. I've added a reverb stealth though. best buy I've ever made I reckon.

Oh btw, I'm running the ardent on the rear and the minion up front, always best to have a beefy tire up front I think, what's your reason for the way you've got it?

Last edited:

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
So much more power in the XT's, I swapped them out after one ride. Im 100kgs and like to push it so I was a bit nervous with the original deore's and found they held me back for that reason.
As for the wheels, today was the first ride aswell with the tyre change from the stock nobbie's, so will need a few more rides before I can really compare, but was very happy with how they rode today.
The tyres though are a vast improvement, so much more grip, especially on fast berms, and the rear minion has so much more grip on the steeper climbs.
To your last question, I like having my weight focused back while riding down so i find having the extra tread on the back more advantageous for the way I ride. Probably not a perfect technique but it works for me. I enjoy the steep climbs also so its good to have the extra grip.

Optic

Likes Dirt
So much more power in the XT's, I swapped them out after one ride. Im 100kgs and like to push it so I was a bit nervous with the original deore's and found they held me back for that reason.
As for the wheels, today was the first ride aswell with the tyre change from the stock nobbie's, so will need a few more rides before I can really compare, but was very happy with how they rode today.
The tyres though are a vast improvement, so much more grip, especially on fast berms, and the rear minion has so much more grip on the steeper climbs.
To your last question, I like having my weight focused back while riding down so i find having the extra tread on the back more advantageous for the way I ride. Probably not a perfect technique but it works for me. I enjoy the steep climbs also so its good to have the extra grip.
Yeah I thought so. I'm a bit lighter than you but I do push it pretty hard downhill, I found that the stock brakes with the resin pads they came with were crap to say the least. I changed the pads to good quality metal ones and they have made a world of difference, obviously not as good as the Xts, they are on the to do list. To me it looks like your still running the stock rotors?

With your tire set up, everyone is different and interesting to see a different set up. Ideally I want to run the minion front and rear but I'll wait until like wear the ardents out, which won't be long :).

Where abouts do you ride mainly? I'm from Vic btw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Yeah I thought so. I'm a bit lighter than you but I do push it pretty hard downhill, I found that the stock brakes with the resin pads they came with were crap to say the least. I changed the pads to good quality metal ones and they have made a world of difference, obviously not as good as the Xts, they are on the to do list. To me it looks like your still running the stock rotors?

With your tire set up, everyone is different and interesting to see a different set up. Ideally I want to run the minion front and rear but I'll wait until like wear the ardents out, which won't be long :).

Where abouts do you ride mainly? I'm from Vic btw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Yes with tyres I think just rock whatever feels good for you, there is a lot of suggesting whats best, but at the end of the day your the one riding your bike so ride whatever feels best for you.
I ride all over the place in Melbourne. I live in Elwood so not really close to any of the trails for a quick outing, i get to the youies when I can as I think they are the best trails in Melb by a long way, However I also ride Lysterfield a fair bit because I like the feeling up there, its absolutely beautiful with the lake and abundance of wildlife and just feels really fresh. My family has a place down at somers so when I'm down there I hit up Red Hill sometimes also, but looking to do more exploring down that way this summer as I don't get down there much during winter as I play footy saturdays in winter.
How about yourself?

Optic

Likes Dirt
Yes with tyres I think just rock whatever feels good for you, there is a lot of suggesting whats best, but at the end of the day your the one riding your bike so ride whatever feels best for you.
I ride all over the place in Melbourne. I live in Elwood so not really close to any of the trails for a quick outing, i get to the youies when I can as I think they are the best trails in Melb by a long way, However I also ride Lysterfield a fair bit because I like the feeling up there, its absolutely beautiful with the lake and abundance of wildlife and just feels really fresh. My family has a place down at somers so when I'm down there I hit up Red Hill sometimes also, but looking to do more exploring down that way this summer as I don't get down there much during winter as I play footy saturdays in winter.
How about yourself?
I'm from Dingley/Springvale area in the south east, I ride Lysterfield pretty much once a week and try to get out to the you yangs once a month. I've always wanted to give red hill a go but never actually done it. it's so great having so many places to choose from, keeps it interesting.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Looks great! good choice of upgrades & a nice bike for your first dually
Need some more pics

jbg

Likes Dirt
btw - the new Pikes are worth every cent and I'd recommend them for your next purchase/upgrade

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
btw - the new Pikes are worth every cent and I'd recommend them for your next purchase/upgrade
yes all i have read is glowing reviews about the Pikes. Hopefully Mr tax man is nice this year then I can rock some pretty soon.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Looking good mate, Same tire combo as me and I reckon it's boss. What are you thoughts on them? Also when are you heading to lysterfield next?
Yeh Im a big fan of the tire combo, very happy with it.
Not sure when ill be there next, got some bone bruising on my knee after hyperextending it playing footy a few weeks ago, so it all depends on when it settles.
Will let ya know and we could go for a spin.

Optic

Likes Dirt
Yeh Im a big fan of the tire combo, very happy with it.
Not sure when ill be there next, got some bone bruising on my knee after hyperextending it playing footy a few weeks ago, so it all depends on when it settles.
Will let ya know and we could go for a spin.
I went today, some sections were sloppy as but the ardent kept on gripping and the front is no worries.

Yeah sounds good mate. shoot me a pm with details :)

teK--

Eats Squid
Yewww not much left of the original bike mate!

Maybe I should have bought the Trance 2 too, to start off with a blank canvas :p

See if you can get a blanking plate for the front derailleur mount it would look heaps more tidy.

How are the forks they look like 150s?

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Yewww not much left of the original bike mate!

Maybe I should have bought the Trance 2 too, to start off with a blank canvas :p

See if you can get a blanking plate for the front derailleur mount it would look heaps more tidy.

How are the forks they look like 150s?
Yes not much left. All that is left from stock is frame, rear shock, BB and the rotors.

Where can you get one of those for the FD mount? I was actually thinking about using a black marker and filling it in.
Haven't ridden the forks yet due to injury, but cannot wait, hopefully get the all clear from physio this week and Ill hit up the Youies this sunday.

ChopSticks

Banned
Where can you get one of those for the FD mount? I was actually thinking about using a black marker and filling it in.
$10-12 from your Giant dealer!
might be a good idea to stick a m6 bolt in there in the meantime... Stops dirt from building up in there!!

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
thanks chops.
Anywhere online. after my experience at the local giant dealer on Saturday I'll never set foot in there again.

ChopSticks

Banned
thanks chops.
Anywhere online. after my experience at the local giant dealer on Saturday I'll never set foot in there again.
Sorry mate
not aware of any places online

i only know it costs $10-12 coz a mate bought one through a useless lbs too and had to wait something like 4 weeks for it with constant phone calls to remind them lol
hopefully you'll have more luck !!

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Sorry mate
not aware of any places online

i only know it costs $10-12 coz a mate bought one through a useless lbs too and had to wait something like 4 weeks for it with constant phone calls to remind them lol
hopefully you'll have more luck !!
Sounds about right, I went to this nameless shop about 10:30 Saturday morning to get my new headset pressed into the Trance and have the old one whacked out.
Went up to the guy at the back in the maintenance shop and asked if he could do it for me, and he says sure no problems. I'm thinking sweet, he will do it right now for me as it looks like he is not doing anything anyway, no bikes on his clamps in the workshop, having a coffee and was chatting with one of the floor sales guys in the shop.
He goes to me, "I cant do it right now though sorry". I'm like, "that's fine can I'll just pop down the street and grab a coffee, i'll be back in about 20?". "Nah sorry mate wont be done till probably Monday arvo".
"Really?, Isnt it like a 10 minute Job?", I asked.
"Yeah, but I have other bikes already booked in to work on".
"I'll go somewhere else thanks champ".

Went to The Freedom Machine in Church street, Brighton. Bloke in there, Nick I think his name was did it for me in 10 minutes and was asking me about my changes and the new forks and was telling me about his Orange with Pikes. Good bloke. Ended up spending over $100, new chain and a few bits and bobs.