Giant Trance 29er

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have thought the 140/130mm setup of the Trance would have been more desirable.
Not to many 'burners are on the lookout for a 115m rear travel bike these days?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have thought the 140/130mm setup of the Trance would have been more desirable.
Not to many 'burners are on the lookout for a 115m rear travel bike these days?
Yeti thinks 114mm is ok on the sb4.5.. Norco optic 110mm.. Anyone know if these sell well?

I agree re burners, I have 130 rear travel on my 29 and it certainly feels like the sweet spot for general trail riding.. I have to say though I never feel like I don’t have enough rear travel..

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Giant are so late to the game, and $8300USD now gets you the DVO spec'ed with Reverb and Trvativ finishing kit and everyone's favourite crackers of composite wheels. So they even missed the mark with pricing, which is rare for Giant.
First thing's first; I like the look of it. Blue and black is cool, looks ace. Box ticked.
Second thing; people have been asking alot about Giant bringing a reputable 29er into the stable and ah, this is it I guess. Box ticked.
The third thing for me; 93% of riders (actual fact established by the university of Dozer) don't give a shit for fancy geometry numbers. They buy a bike according to its size (Medium, Large etc). Typically I have found Giant's to be too long in the cockpit and I feel stretched so I looked at other bikes with a better measurement to suit me. I can ride a smaller sized frame in Giant bikes but even that feels all out of whack and makes me wonder who they use as a human example of a good bike fit?
The biggest point of discussion I see for this particular model is the price. It's nearly $11,000 in Australia! That's shit and not appealing at all especially with that spec list. Far out, that puts it well into the boutique range now.

Edit: It's $8,999 on the Giant Australian site now.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
@SummitFever Do dual linkage systems really pedal any better than a Horst, Faux Bar, Single Pivot, DELTA, ABP style design with the pivot points in the right spot?
There is no doubt you can get those other systems to pedal as well or better than a Maestro/VPP/DW bike. That's not what I was claiming. What I think Maestro brings to the table in the short travel suspension area is the combination of "pedals well, has good small bump compliance and still has a bottomless feel on the big hits". Those are the three things I want in a rear suspension package.

There's also a surprisingly large number of manufacturers out there cranking out variations on the dual link design. The only reason I can think of for going with a simpler design is to save weight. A faux bar with flexing rear stays (eg. no pivots) will give you a 120mm bike with a <2kg frame (eg. Scott).

... those Trunnion mounts are just retarded and offer nothing to their frame design where they're not limited for real estate in the shock length area of the frame. I don't know which fucking idiot thought it was a good idea to put a single shear bolt onto the major part of the damper body and then submit the shock to more lateral loads from a wider leverage point, but he needs to be lynched.
It's almost in complete backwards logic to Ohlins/DT Swiss shocks mounting with spherical bearings so that you remove the lateral forces from the shock altogether and allow it to simply push along it's stroke consistently...
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Zaf

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@Dozer you only get the blue/black if you frop the $8300USD on it, otherwise you're getting as one Pinkbike commenter said "Colour schemes like that of a toy out a McDonalds Happy meal".

They've jumped into a category with a fairly generic option, where amazing options exist: Transition Smuggler, Evil Wreckoning, Stumpjumper ST, Banshee Phantom, Pole Evolink 110, Yeti SB4.5, Yeti SB100, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Trek Fuel EX, Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol, Devinci Marshall, Norco Sight, Kona Process 111, Scott Spark, Orbea Occam, Intense Sniper...to name a few; and then priced themselves into some of the boutique options. When Specialized are undercutting your pricing, and competing with SWAT functionality and components that won't explode, you're in a tough selling spot.

It'll be interesting to see how they sell, they're also competing against bikes that are all several editions into their refinement.
So to summarize; we agree that this bike is an overpriced pile of poohed sausage mince. ;)

Reactions: Zaf

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose one difference Giant has is you can actually physically see it and ride it before dropping $11k.. Boutiques asking the same price and sending it in a box after waiting months isn’t appealing to a chunk of the market..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree re burners, I have 130 rear travel on my 29 and it certainly feels like the sweet spot for general trail riding.. I have to say though I never feel like I don’t have enough rear travel..
It's surely too close to the burlier Anthem model for comfort.

As Zaf mentioned, this category is filled with some properly drool worthy machines, this aint one!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, no concept of delayed gratification, some things are just worth waiting for.
Yeah for sure but some buyers will trust their own eyes rather than a review on pinkbike.. I didn’t say the whole market, just a chunk of it.. Giant are selling plenty of bikes..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's surely too close to the burlier Anthem model for comfort.

As Zaf mentioned, this category is filled with some properly drool worthy machines, this aint one!
Don’t the anthem’s just crack if you weight over 80kg and sit on it?
Maybe just a stronger anthem.. 66.5 hta ain’t xc territory tho..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Oddjob You might be in for a surprise with that one with regards to bobbing.

Also probably worth reading his insight on the suspension design in general
https://polebicycles.com/what-is-anti-squat-and-pedal-kickback/
I've read some of that stuff from Leo and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

In my super scientific single set of observations, bob is unavoidable on any suspension system not only due to chain torque but the movement of the rider. I'm ok with some bob, but when you're a fat slob you appreciate all the help you can get when climbing. So turning my limited energy into heat in the shock turns my smile upside down :(.

I suppose the way I look at it is a trade off between anti-squat and sensitivity:
- four/faux bars tend to favour sensitivity,
- single pivots have lots of anti-squat under torque, are sensitive otherwise, but often have lots of brake jack,
- linkage driven sub frames sit somewhere in between.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk