AM Giant Trance Adv 2 2015

hakka

Likes Dirt
So I went to the bike shop the other week to get a tube, somehow that snowballed into a new bike and a bunch of upgrades.

Swapped out the rear shock for a Monarch plus Rc3 with a bit more travel than stock, swapped the internals of the Sektor fork for the RCT3 comp and rebound damper from the Revelation (haven't installed these yet).
American Classic all mountain wheelset with tubeless Ikon tyres. XTR 9020 pedals. SRAM X0 shifters.

edit: updated pic, xx1 drivetrain, RS Pike solo, reverb stealth dropper, Prologo X15 saddle, 200mm & 180mm rotors, Renthal 50mm Duo stem, Renthal carbon Fatbar, MRP chainguide.

edit 2: Zelvy wheels, new shock.

Attachments

Last edited:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
hmm interested in the monarch +. did you just get a shock with a longer stroke? did you test a trance before the change? any noticeable difference in ride/geometry?

BTW welcome. long time between join date and first post!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I went to the bike shop the other week to get a tube, somehow that snowballed into a new bike and a bunch of upgrades.

Swapped out the rear shock for a Monarch plus Rc3 with a bit more travel than stock, swapped the internals of the Sektor fork for the RCT3 comp and rebound damper from the Revelation (haven't installed these yet).
American Classic all mountain wheelset with tubeless Ikon tyres. XTR 9020 pedals. SRAM X0 shifters.
Hey fella

Very nice rig, you're channelling a very similar build that i have my head at the moment.

Where are you located? Did the shop organise the upgrades or did you do it yourself?

hakka

Likes Dirt
hmm interested in the monarch +. did you just get a shock with a longer stroke? did you test a trance before the change? any noticeable difference in ride/geometry?

BTW welcome. long time between join date and first post!
I did a bit of research and found quite a few people running the 57mm stroke with no issues. I just had it installed today, I'll go for a ride tonight when it cools down a bit. Right now I'm running a little less sag (25 vs 30%) to try to maintain the stock geometry.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Hey fella

Very nice rig, you're channelling a very similar build that i have my head at the moment.

Where are you located? Did the shop organise the upgrades or did you do it yourself?
I'm in bendigo VIC. I did most of it myself, except for the shock which needed a special tool for the bushings. I got that trough the local shop (much cheaper than importing), and got them to install it.

teK--

Eats Squid
I did a bit of research and found quite a few people running the 57mm stroke with no issues. I just had it installed today, I'll go for a ride tonight when it cools down a bit. Right now I'm running a little less sag (25 vs 30%) to try to maintain the stock geometry.
Assuming you've gone from a 200x51 to 200x57 shock (to extend travel to 160mm) then the geometry at rest is the same given the same air pressure.

In fact you might need to run less pressure and more sag in order to use all the travel when doing such a conversion. It depends how linear you setup your spring curve but from what I've ridden the Monarch+ debonair is very linear and blows through travel very easily even for a light rider.

p.s. that looks like a small frame u might have clearance issues with the 57mm shock?

Last edited:

hakka

Likes Dirt
Assuming you've gone from a 200x51 to 200x57 shock (to extend travel to 160mm) then the geometry at rest is the same given the same air pressure.

In fact you might need to run less pressure and more sag in order to use all the travel when doing such a conversion. It depends how linear you setup your spring curve but from what I've ridden the Monarch+ debonair is very linear and blows through travel very easily even for a light rider.

p.s. that looks like a small frame u might have clearance issues with the 57mm shock?
Medium size frame, has about 5mm clearance bottomed out. Some guys have bottomed out hard on drops and had no frame contact. I'm not sure how the small frame goes, I couldn't find anyone running this shock on a small.

It needs a lot more air pressure due to the increased air volume, I'm at 225 psi to get 25% sag. The extra travel wasn't a big factor.

teK--

Eats Squid
Medium size frame, has about 5mm clearance bottomed out. Some guys have bottomed out hard on drops and had no frame contact. I'm not sure how the small frame goes, I couldn't find anyone running this shock on a small.

It needs a lot more air pressure due to the increased air volume, I'm at 225 psi to get 25% sag. The extra travel wasn't a big factor.
I take it you are about 70kg ready to ride.

What you need is less pressure but volume spacers.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
nice looking rig bud would be awsome 1x with some pikes up front that paint scheme is rad so much better than all this crazy fluro that's floating around atm

hakka

Likes Dirt
do it you won't regret you'll get rid of that annoying chain slap and the pikes are just insane will totally change the ride and match the rear shock perfectly
I assume its best to change the travel to 140mm so the axle-crown measurement matches the stock fork?

I just took the bike out for a ride, very impressed with the new shock. Soaks up the smaller stuff really well, it seems to move a lot easier in the first half of the stroke than the old one. No issues with it blowing through the travel, although I forgot to charge my lights so only had medium power which slowed me down a little on the faster descents. Still need to fine tune the rebound but its a huge improvement over the RT.

Attachments

DJR

Likes Dirt
I put sweeps on mine, go for pikes if you can afford it but the monarch plus and sweep combo works pretty well IMO

And yeah, if you have the legs for it go for a 32t or 34t 1x chainring setup

Yeti 66

Squid
Giant Trance 2015

Nice Bike, Love the color. Good set up.

hakka

Likes Dirt
I've been doing some more upgrades:

RS Pike solo air 140mm
RS Monarch+ RC3 57mm
American Classic All Mountain wheelset
XX1 drivetrain
MRP AMG chainguide
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm dropper
Prologo X15 saddle
Larger rotors, 200mm &180mm