Giant Trance E+ Pro - With Upgrades

Minlak

custom titis
I have done around 150 kms on this thing in 6 rides and here is where I am at now.
  1. I don't use the smart function - I put it in eco the whole time
  2. Battery lasts around 5 hrs in eco ( so theoretically 100kms ish )
  3. I find myself riding just as hard as I did non ebike I just get there faster now
  4. Already staked a tyre so replaced it with an e-bike specific rear - I like it - But honestly cant really feel a difference
  5. Whilst the BB is actually higher than any of my other bikes the motor hangs lower so actual clearance is lower than any other bike.
  6. On some bigger log roll overs I hit the motor but it is super protected and no marks on the armour yet
  7. I ahve been riding flats and either need to buy proper cycling shoes in flats or put my clipless back on.

Over all this has been my go to bike for last 2 weeks and I am really enjoying it. the confidence I have in pinch climbs and obstacles grows every day.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
nice work
  1. I don't use the smart function - I can‘t work out how to use it :rolleyes:
local guy bought one, not long after dropping 13K on new SC h/tower w 12spd xtr, now can’t sell the h/t for 9K, but loves the e-trance..he is 68 & i think regrets the SC purchas..means he’s at the head of proceedings now instead of blowing hard at the back

Minlak

custom titis
nice work

local guy bought one, not long after dropping 13K on new SC h/tower w 12spd xtr, now can’t sell the h/t for 9K, but loves the e-trance..he is 68 & i think regrets the SC purchas..means he’s at the head of proceedings now instead of blowing hard at the back
This is what I am finding - By being able to work hard already it just made it faster not much easier and I just want to ride more as I dont feel like I am holding people up.

I should have bought this instead of the Ripley but still ride the Ripley as well so not worried about selling it currently.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get some proper flat specific shoes, I was sceptical in my rugged sneakers until I got a pair of Giro Riddance. When new, the damn things had so much grip I struggled to move my feet around on the pedals without lifting them off a bit. I have ridden clipless plenty back in the first phase of my MTB life, flats were going to be a temporary thing for me but my 1991 SPD's are still waiting in the shed.

Minlak

custom titis
Get some proper flat specific shoes, I was sceptical in my rugged sneakers until I got a pair of Giro Riddance. When new, the damn things had so much grip I struggled to move my feet around on the pedals without lifting them off a bit. I have ridden clipless plenty back in the first phase of my MTB life, flats were going to be a temporary thing for me but my 1991 SPD's are still waiting in the shed.
Good shoes make a huge different.

Time to splash more cash mate
Funny you should say that since I posted this I got some new flats shoes :) Used them today much betterer

Minlak

custom titis
Made some changes - Needed to change chain anyway so got all the stuff I wanted to change in 1 hit.
Moved to 8spd Sram EX - The spacings are more linear and everything much stronger
Handlebars - Giant Contact trail rise, 35mm RaceFace Atlas 35mm 760mm
Grips
- Giant something Oury Lock On
Front brake
- Shimano XT Trail hydraulic disc, (4 Pot) - Hope 203mm Floating Rotor - Uberbike E-Bike Specific pads
Rear brake
- Shimano XT Trail hydraulic disc, (4 Pot) - Hope 203mm Floating Rotor - Uberbike E-Bike Specific pads
Cranks
- Praxis e-Cadet+, 36T Hope E-Bike 165mm - RaceFace 36T Chainring
Chainguide
- MRP 1X V3 chain guide
Chain - KMX e12 Turbo Sram EX1
Pedals
- Shimano XT Clipless RaceFace Atlas Flat
Rear derailleur
- Shimano XTR Shadow+ Sram EX1 8spd
Rear shifter
- Shimano XT, 12sp Sram EX1 8spd
Cassette
- Shimano SLX, 10-51T, 12sp Sram EX1 8spd
Front hub
- Giant eTR1, 28H Hope Pro 4
Rear hub
- Giant eTR1, 28H Hope Pro 4
Front rim
- Giant eTR1, DBL, WheelSystem, 28H Hope Fortus 30 32H
Rear rim
- Giant eTR1, DBL, WheelSystem, 28H Hope Fortus 30 32H
Tyres
- Fr: Maxxis Assegai TR, 3C MaxxTerra, EXO, Folding, 29x2.6” / Rr: Maxxis Dissector TR, 3C MaxxTerra, EXO+, Folding, 29x2.6”
Tubes - Yes for now - Comes with tubeless valves but not installed Tubeless

Only a short ride so far shifts extremely well under load and the shifts feel more purposeful now - bigger gear change makes it noticeably easier and smaller gear change makes it noticeably faster. Not super happy about an alloy front chainring but was super hard to get the steel ones when I was buying - Could find them just not shipping to Australia.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Made some changes - Needed to change chain anyway so got all the stuff I wanted to change in 1 hit.
Moved to 8spd Sram EX - The spacings are more linear and everything much stronger

Only a short ride so far shifts extremely well under load and the shifts feel more purposeful now - bigger gear change makes it noticeably easier and smaller gear change makes it noticeably faster. Not super happy about an alloy front chainring but was super hard to get the steel ones when I was buying - Could find them just not shipping to Australia.
you had to change chain already, how many km’s on it? seems soon, i took you as a spinner, not grinder

i also loved the big jumps the ex1 , i hate my new 11spd gravel bike, feel like i have to make 4-5 shifts to see a difference, reminds of the 11023 campy 10 speed cassette i raced road on for a short time, just to flex to other riders...i used to say to them—do you have that cassette on the back cos your wife borrows your bike, that’s sweet

Minlak

custom titis
you had to change chain already, how many km’s on it? seems soon, i took you as a spinner, not grinder

i also loved the big jumps the ex1 , i hate my new 11spd gravel bike, feel like i have to make 4-5 shifts to see a difference, reminds of the 11023 campy 10 speed cassette i raced road on for a short time, just to flex to other riders...i used to say to them—do you have that cassette on the back cos your wife borrows your bike, that’s sweet
Have 1500kms on old chain and it just hit 0.5 stretch - Would have changed it to be safer on cassette and chainring wearing - Hard to tell if chainrings are worn these days they come from the factory all wonky cureved :)

gillyske

Likes Dirt
So does it actually shift better than the shimano stuff under load? I'm incredibly pleased with shimano after coming from sram 12sp

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Liking my ebike commuter / hard tail but the 250 w geared motor starts to stall/ cog on loose hills > 15% unless I pedal like crazy, so bought a Bafang 310 which has a 11 to 1 reduction gear for more torque from Aliexpress which arrived last week .
LBS will build the hub into a wheel I can use for steep adventures and maybe even some tracks .
So 2 different rear wheels, for rolling or steep, same controller same battery .