Giant Trance/Trance X: frame size for 174cm tall roadie?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Looking to buy my first MTB, with almost no MTB experience.

However I ride a road bike everyday (don't own a car) and I'm not sure if that is helping or hindering trying to choose the correct frame size. I've sat on a few different sized bikes at my LBS, but riding around the store isn't much of a simulation of riding on trails.

I'm 174cm (~5'8 1/2"), 83cm inseam, 75kg, 36yo, in reasonable shape, an excellent mogul skier (if that makes any difference), but not very ballsy - I tend to stick within my comfort zone, and can't imagine doing drops or jumps. I will mostly ride along the Yarra trails, with the (very) occasional excursion to Mt Hotham or the Otways.

My roadie is a Giant OCR1 Medium (50cm) frame, and it feels great. I don't get any pain like I did on the slightly smaller bike (54cm traditional-style frame) that it replaced. I've ridden quite a few mates' road bikes - both bigger and smaller - and none have 'felt' better (despite mostly being newer, lighter and a lot more 'carbony';)). The only change from stock is a riser bar that places the tops of the bars only a cm or two lower than the seat - I'm 36yo and no racer (and indeed spend most of the time towing my 3yo in a Chariot trailer behind me).

My only experience on MTBs has been on a Small (16.5") Giant NRS 1, and a Raceline hardtail (Enduro?) of similar size. Both are owned by mates that are far fitter, better riders, and more hardcore than I'll ever be. They're also both an inch or so shorter. Their bikes feel okay, but certainly compared to my roadie they feel short - I feel a bit upright, with my hands a bit close to my arse.

Given the glowing reviews I have read on the forum, and the prices they're being run out at, I am looking to buy an '08 Trance or Trance X. (Not having ridden much it's not a particularly educated decision, but I'm guessing they're a good compromise for the different sort of MTB riding I might find myself doing - I will continue to use the roadie as my commuter).

The Giant Trance X2 in a Medium (18") felt 'right' instore, but what would I know? I don't know how it translates on the trail. And there are a few things that make me wonder whether the Small (16") might be a better option:

1) My 1" shorter mate, who used to ride a lot and is looking to get back into it after a few year's hiatus, prefers the feel of the Small (16'), which probably approximates both his own Raceline and the the Giant NRS we have both ridden. He says he likes the manoeuvrability a smaller bike gives him (he's looking at getting an Anthem X1 or similar, whereas I suspect I'd prefer a more 'plush'-feeling bike).

2) I've read a few posts on the forum from 6"ers (~180-185cm) who have chosen the Medium (18") over the Large (20"), largely for the reasons my mate cites. Haven't heard anything from smaller riders though ...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
While im no expert on bike sizing, and i really dont ride any XC sort of stuff, but i have recently had to sort out some niggling issues from getting a bike that was too small, rather than too large.

Smaller bikes tend to be twitchier, and bite back harder at speed.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
You said that you'd read about people choosing the smaller size frames on here- keep in mind that some of these people will be doing this specifically for downhill/dirt jump riding, where there are particular advantages to the smaller frame.

Under sizing will make the bike slightly lighter, and slightly more manoeuvrable. However, this counts for little over the longer distance of an XC ride. You should feel as comfortable as you do on the road bike.

Try this in the shop- get the seat to the same height as you'd feel comfortable with on the road bike. Is the seat post sticking out a stupid amount (is it past or near the insertion limit)? When you put your cranks at 3 and 9 o clock, does your toe clips the front wheel during steering?. Obviously this is not ideal on a mountain bike, and is more likely to occur on a smaller frame.

Ideally, try to take the bikes on a demo ride on the trails you'll be riding on!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'm roughly your dimensions ... maybe just slightly taller ... and I have an 18" Trance.

I think you'll find the 16" way too small ... particularly if you like hill climbing.

I have mine setup with a 90mm Stem ... where they usually come stock with a 110mm ... so if you do find that you are a little stretched then there are some options there. In saying that ... coming from your roadie back ground ... you'll prolly like the stretched out feel and may even want a "donkey dong" 120mm stem

I like technical terrain ... and love my current setup ... which surprisingly also allows me to climb better then I normally do.

This is likely the wrong advice for you ... given your just starting out ... but if your like me and like the techy stuff and want to use your Trancer as a do everything bike ... I'd get the Trance X (do a search for Trance on here and there are at least two really good threads from earlier in the year ... from various owners (lotsa owners :)) with pics and other details.

Good luck and welcome to Farkin and MTB

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice

This is likely the wrong advice for you ... given your just starting out ... but if your like me and like the techy stuff and want to use your Trancer as a do everything bike ... I'd get the Trance X (do a search for Trance on here and there are at least two really good threads from earlier in the year ... from various owners (lotsa owners :)).
I have done a pretty thorough search of the forums, and have no doubt read the threads that you mentioned. I have to admit that whilst I am leaning towards the Trance X2 over the Trance 2 the reasons are hilariously superficial. Because I have no real way of knowing what sort of bike I will likely prefer, at this stage the preference is almost entirely due to preferring the minimalist aesthetic of the frame finish and having a fairly consistent LX drivetrain (which appeals to the roadie in me).

I do wonder whether I'll regret getting something without lockout, but for a bike that might turn out to only be used 10-15 times a year the $500 I'd save over an X1 is $500 that's probably better off in my pocket. If I get into MTB in a serious way then probably in two or three years I'll be wanting a new bike, and have a far better idea of what geometry/specs etc that I prefer.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Try this in the shop- get the seat to the same height as you'd feel comfortable with on the road bike. Is the seat post sticking out a stupid amount (is it past or near the insertion limit)? When you put your cranks at 3 and 9 o clock, does your toe clips the front wheel during steering?. Obviously this is not ideal on a mountain bike, and is more likely to occur on a smaller frame.

Ideally, try to take the bikes on a demo ride on the trails you'll be riding on!
I wish I could, but I can understand why the bike shop is a bit reluctant. So I'll have to make do with a ride in the car park, armed with the great advice you and others have given me here.

LARGE

Squid
I'm 1.90 and I use a medium 18,5" intense 5.5, I like smaller bikes for the trails, you can adjust witha a sligly longer stem no more than 90mm and a long seat tube (hopefully thompson).

A mountainbike has to be manouvrable, so go for 16" try diferent sizes of stem after you get it, but it will be better option than a 18".

Cheers

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
A medium would fit fine, don't get the small (your back will thank you). A larger bike with a shorter stem is much better than a short bike with a long stem.

Get the trance X, perfect bike!

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
your the same height weight and +18 years on me,

I work in a giant shop and no doubt about it your a medium frame. Thats whay i ride myself. If you go to the larger the stretch is going to be too long for the bikes purpose although it may seem right as you are from the roadie background. The small you are going to find is to low and short and you will have to run the pole far to high to get it to where you will need it not to mention you will look like a clown on the bike.

With the medium, they have a decent stem length on them from stock so it still allows for change if needed weather longer or shorter and the pole height for yourself is the same. I would definatly go for the Medium, I have a Medium trance X and XTC and both are just right.

Last edited:

Benduro

Likes Dirt
I'm 168cm and have just bought a 17" Stumpjumper HT Comp. Bike feels pretty good, although had a 16" been avail' it may have suited me better? I notice alot of x-c riders have the seatpost very high and above handlebar/stem height, I am unsure as to the reasons for this:confused: and as an ex roadie you may be wondering the same? My seat height sits level with the bars and it is very comfortable:)
Maybe if an 18 is too big and a 16 too tight, try a 17" in a different brand? Could be perfect for your height.;)

JP

Likes Dirt
Surely there are some farkineers lurking around in the same area of Victoria that can help make the transition from road to mtb a litttle less intimidating for puffmoike? If you lived in NSW there are several guys here who could've helped.

I ride a 2005 Giant VT in the 18.5 variation. I'm about 5'10" and have just thrown on a 90mm stem which is lovely. If I had bought the bike brand new from a shop I may have found myself on a different size but for a second hand purchase the size seems pretty good.

I know 3 guys around your height and 2 ride 16" Trance's and the other a 16" Reign.

You aren't meant to feel as stretched out on a mtb as you feel on a roadie. Roadies are all about speed and aerodynamics. The more upright possie of a mtb gives better control and more comfort to your back and shoulders, I've found.

As far as how much you should spend, let me say this. Riding a mountain bike is probably one of the most addictive things (legal) that you could do. I know a guy who bought a mountain bike and 2 weeks later traded it in for a bike worth twice as much.

Your local bike shop, assuming they know their shit, will be the best help fro you. Also, as it seems you have a few mates who ride, listen to their experiences. You can change a stem and seatpost to get your setup juuuuust right, but it's a lot harder on a frame that is the wrong size for you.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice

I have to admit that whilst I am leaning towards the Trance X2 over the Trance 2 the reasons are hilariously superficial.
heee heee ... thats what I like to hear ... mean I would have picked the Trance X2 as I think it would make me twice as fast :p

I do wonder whether I'll regret getting something without lockout, but for a bike that might turn out to only be used 10-15 times a year the $500 I'd save over an X1 is $500 that's probably better off in my pocket. If I get into MTB in a serious way then probably in two or three years I'll be wanting a new bike, and have a far better idea of what geometry/specs etc that I prefer.
Re: Lockout ... all my Hardtail and roadie mates always want the lock out option as a familiarity thing ... to me I don't see the point ... it doesn't take long to get used to the minor bob ... and adapt your pedal / ride style ... I actually find now, when I jump on the HT commute and bounce a little the first few blocks :)

Re: the rest ... again, if your like most gear freaks (me included) ... you would have upgraded pretty much everything except the frame within the first year ... :p

So your logic works for me.

Where possible, tee up a ride in watering hole with hopefully some trancers your way (I bought mine of a Farker in Melbourne) ... that way you can test out what JP is saying as well.

Me I'd rather larger than smaller in XC ... but opposite for DH / FR

Post a pic of the rig whichever way you go. cheers Al

Last edited:

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
medium Trance X2 purchased

thanks to all for help.

Will post after weekend with initial (noob) impressions.

Thanks again - seems like a great community here.

gness

Likes Bikes
Let us know how you go mate. I almost put a deposit down on a X2 today (funnily enough I was only there to buy a spoke - talk about upsell of the year!) but the only thing holding me back was the dilemma of whether the upgraded parts of the X1 are worth it.

Also, do you mind telling me how much you picked it up for?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
$1721.25

Let us know how you go mate. I almost put a deposit down on a X2 today (funnily enough I was only there to buy a spoke - talk about upsell of the year!) but the only thing holding me back was the dilemma of whether the upgraded parts of the X1 are worth it.

Also, do you mind telling me how much you picked it up for?
Didn't see any X1s so wasn't a consideration - though they look great in the online catalogue.

Paid $1721.25 - 25% off RRP.

iconic

Likes Dirt
i'm around 173cm and had a 16" reign x, it was too small for XC riding but perfect for DH. i think a 18" should fit you fine, can always do shorter stem

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm ~175cm and ride a Medium X2 with 70mm stem. Fits great, and with shorter stem it rides great too. The seat tube is offset slightly forward so you may have to ram the saddle right to the back of its rails, but see how you go...

enjoy it!

eter

Likes Bikes
Sizing

Hey there. You must be figuring out that you are somewhere between S:16 and M:18. Funny because I was too when I was purchasing Trance X1 and I am 174cm. So my LBS built up S and M for me to try out and I chose M:18 and now shorten my stem (from 110mm) to 70mm and now fits like a glove. Better this way than getting a smaller bike and elongate the stem which I think is too long anyway.

If you look hard enough in this forum, you will find the discussion on the short vs long stem has on the control of your bike. This can sharpen your control on a mtb as you do change direction more often than a road bike. PM me if you would like my opinion.

Anyway, price wise, few weeks ago a bike shop offered me a Trance X2 (08) for $1650. I tried convincing my bro to get one but unsuccesfully. However only size S is available. Trance X (08) are great bikes and the anodizing is an understated colour compared to the 09. Great value now with 25% off but looking for the popular sizes like M would be challenging.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
first impressions...

Bought a medium Trance X2.

30 minutes of gentle riding later and I dropped the bars as low as they would go, and moved the seat most of the way back. Can't imagine how 6ft guys ride a bike this size.

Also found that I suck! Rode along the Yarra from Studley Park Road to Victoria Street on what a mate called "the goat trail" and hopped off and walked bits too many times to count.

Mate bought a medium 08 Anthem 1 in Hawthorn, we turned around and came back and I wasn't much better.

But with two new bikes I'm sure I'll get lots of opportunity to improve. ;-) (and compare them - will report back once my skills have improved sufficiently to make a meaningful comparison.)

Last edited: