Giant warranty claim options

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
anthem 29ers were de riguer in the race scene a few years ago, now you barely ever see an anthem 27.5. Most racers are on 29ers still

uppo

Likes Bikes
True.

anthem 29ers were de riguer in the race scene a few years ago, now you barely ever see an anthem 27.5. Most racers are on 29ers still
I fully agree with this.
There used to be so many giant anthems at all the 100km or 12hr/24hr events.
Giants have disappeared and Specialized epics now seems to be the most popular.
One of the big things the epic has going for it is being able to fit two water bottles.
Are there any other dual suspension bikes that can fit two water bottles inside the triangle?

As long as giant keep replacing them - keep getting them.

If you don't leave the ground much - get the 29er

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll almost certainly get a complete new bike. I broke my 2011 26" Anthem X2 (alu), and they replaced it with a 2012 26" Anthem Advanced (carbon) frame. When I cracked the carbon frame in 2014, they replaced that with an entire new bike - 2014 27.5" Anthem Advanced 0 frame with Anthem 1 parts (Fox/Shimano).

I've just upgraded to the 2017 Anthem Advanced 1 and it's a completely different bike to all of the previous models. It is much longer in the front end, while the dropper post, additional travel, slacker head angle and vastly improved suspension damping add to the sensation of being more downhill oriented. In saying that, the longer front end does make the bike feel more planted when climbing and I have found the rear wheel skips less on technical climb sections.

I've had the bike since December and in that time I've done Buller, a trip around Tassie (it felt right at home on Atlas @ Derby) and a number of trails around Melbourne and all in all, I'm a huge fan of the new bike. The only change I've really had to come to grips with is the 1x11 which I have found to be lacking the low gear when doing trails like Epic at Mt Buller and the high gear not high enough on the road.

Attachments

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
I do, but all opinions expressed are entirely my own and not dictated by corporate pressure, as should be evident by my preference still being for the 26" version. :smile:
Thanks for your feedback, I have loved my 26" bikes for 23 years I just wanted some feedback for my first change in wheel size where I don't have the option of looking at different manufacturers.

For what's it's worth current dream bike is Evils Following, however I don't have the funds or time to make that happen.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
You'll almost certainly get a complete new bike. I broke my 2011 26" Anthem X2 (alu), and they replaced it with a 2012 26" Anthem Advanced (carbon) frame. When I cracked the carbon frame in 2014, they replaced that with an entire new bike - 2014 27.5" Anthem Advanced 0 frame with Anthem 1 parts (Fox/Shimano).

I've just upgraded to the 2017 Anthem Advanced 1 and it's a completely different bike to all of the previous models. It is much longer in the front end, while the dropper post, additional travel, slacker head angle and vastly improved suspension damping add to the sensation of being more downhill oriented. In saying that, the longer front end does make the bike feel more planted when climbing and I have found the rear wheel skips less on technical climb sections.

I've had the bike since December and in that time I've done Buller, a trip around Tassie (it felt right at home on Atlas @ Derby) and a number of trails around Melbourne and all in all, I'm a huge fan of the new bike. The only change I've really had to come to grips with is the 1x11 which I have found to be lacking the low gear when doing trails like Epic at Mt Buller and the high gear not high enough on the road.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback, here's hoping I get the 2017 version.

damo666

Likes Dirt
Yes, it's a pig. It wants to be responsive with its steep head angle, but the Maestro suspension design doesn't allow tight rear geometry, so it's dragging a long tail, which leaves you feeling like you're trying to drive a bus around a go-kart track. And it's more like a 7-year-old design....
Pig is possibly a little dramatic!

We don't have too many goat tracks here in Canberra and the Anthem 29er isnt a bad thing.....when you consider the age of the design, the cost of the bike and the type of riding it has been designed for.

Its an effortless climber, and with a 120mm fork in it & the longer stays its quite stable descending (but certainly not an outright bomber).
Its the perfect bike for my wife as she does not need to think about 'riding' the bike, it just works. Its also a very comfortable thing for longer/24hr type races.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Update

Giant have reviewed the damage and it's a valid warranty claim, the photos the LBS took weren't clear enough for the rep to make the call until he'd seen it in the shop. Now I have to wait and see what frame/bike they have to replace it with. I'm guessing a 2016 27.5 will be offered.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Giant sort of came to the party. I have a 2017 Anthem 2 in the garage. Apart from it being a bit too heavy I'm happy to have got a brand new bike with dropper post, 1x11 and boost spacing. Not happy I had to pay a transfer fee just because Giant don't have my frame anymore. Unfortunately I don't have the time or energy to complain too much.
After hearing about the issues with the 2017 carbon bikes I'm kind of happy to go back to alloy.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad they got you the new bike. The transfer fee is charged by the bike shop, right? My understanding is that's the bike shops cost to build the bike up. I could be wrong...

Out of interest, what bad things have you heard about the 2017 frames? Got any links/references?

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Glad they got you the new bike. The transfer fee is charged by the bike shop, right? My understanding is that's the bike shops cost to build the bike up. I could be wrong...

Out of interest, what bad things have you heard about the 2017 frames? Got any links/references?
The bike shop said it was Giant charging the transfer fee, and when I called giant they would neither confirm nor deny it.

The 2017 carbon frames have similar issues to the older models. At least Giant have redesigned the top tube seat tube joint so hopefully this one won't fail where my first two frames failed.

Just want the rain to stop so the trails can dry out so I can get the wheels dirty.