Girls in bed

0psi

Eats Squid
Well not really but I got your attention didn't I? There is a girl and a bed involved but all we're trying to do is get a good nights sleep.

So I've decided my mattress is shite and would like a new one. I bought one of them memory foam mattresses a while back and it was good for the first couple of months but seems to have become progressively shitter as time goes on. I also think it's probably too soft, not sure if that's true of all memory foam mattresses or just my one.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on a decent quality mattress that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount? Ideally I'd like to spend not much more than $1k for a queen size or maybe a king with base for $1.5ish.

TM2

Likes Bikes
HTFU and buy a Futon, might take a bit of getting used to, I compare it to the whole minimalist shoe thing, you don't really need all that cushioning to make you feel more comfortable, you just need to get used to doing it right.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Foam and latex mattress' are hopeless if you want to get jiggy with it. They rob all your energy...:shocked: And if you do manage to 'top out' then they hold you so tight afterwards you can cook.

We got one of the Bev Marks house brand mattresses last year (made by AH Beard?)...it's a pocket coil spring thing with a pillow top. Best mattress we've ever had. About $900.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
one of the big mattress/bed stores (Mr Snooze I think) has a nifty machine which tells you which level of softness suits you best and you can then lay on a couple at different price points to see which you prefer.

we did this (fortunately both landed on the same softness level), tested the beds and didn't end up choosing the most expensive. best bed I have ever had, sleep so well.

MasterOfReality

After forever
We just got a new mattress - the old one was around 9 years old. Nothing wrong with it, just that all of a sudden I couldn't get comfortable on it, plus it transmitted all the movements from the wife. Very firm mattress. The wife thought there was nothing wrong with it.

We ended up with a plush queen Sleepmaker mattress. Was $1.5k delivered. So far so good, sleep has improved markedly.

Its almost like a lottery - you never know what the mattress is going to be like until you sleep on it a few nights, you can't really tell what its going to be like after 20 minutes in the store.

Get them on sale - if they can have a 40% off sale, they were over 40% overpriced to start with.

jett_e

Likes Bikes
I dropped over $3k on a full king ensemble with pillow top when I first got married. Marriage only lasted six months and I had to move out.. I really miss that bed. New relationship means new bed and although we dropped some good coin on a comfy mattress, it is on a slat base.

I don't think a slat bed and mattress can compete with the comfort a full ensemble has to offer, even one without a pillow top. I always seem to sleep better whenever we are fortunate enough to stay at luxury hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had some kind of Sealy for 10yrs, it was relatively plush and comfy but I think it was starting to get too soft in recent years, I convinced my Husband to upgrade the bed and mattress this year. Ended up with a King Coil Chiro Flex 3 Firm (because it felt good in store...I didn't get to do much research), mind you the last one we brought because it felt comfy and was on sale at the time so yeah.
With regards to mattresses I was very tempted to go for something soft and comfy (like memory foam that felt awesome but we were looking more around the $1k range), wasn't quite convinced though. The logical side of me would choose a firm mattress because it's easier to get some sort of mattress topper (wool, memory foam, convoluted egg crate style foam ...whatever!) if you end up wanting something softer, but if you buy a soft mattress to begin with it would be pretty hard to firm it up without buying a new one.
I'm pretty happy with what we brought so far, it doesn't seem to move as much (partner disturbance) compared to the old one, might get some sort of underlay for it down the track though. Husband says its got to last 10yrs like the last one so hope we made a good choice lol.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fuck the bed, get the best dog house money can buy, this is where you'll be needng the comfort before to long.

0psi

Eats Squid
I don't think a slat bed and mattress can compete with the comfort a full ensemble has to offer, even one without a pillow top. I always seem to sleep better whenever we are fortunate enough to stay at luxury hotels.
Interesting. I've got a decent slat base bed frame at the moment but was toying with the idea of upgrading to a king size bed and the ensemble route seems better value for money although not as pretty. Might look into the whole ensemble thing a bit more.

Both the missus and myself are thinking firmer would be better but thus far my googling for good mattresses has just brought up stupid $3k dollar things.

And I hear you on the hotel thing. We stayed at a nice holiday house in Port Stephens a couple of months ago and that just confirmed how shite my current mattress is.

John U

MTB Precision
We got a tip top one last year. Latex rubber core or some shit. That fuckin thing generates heat like a mother fucker. I am always throwing all the bed covering off about 2.5 - 3 hours after I go to sleep, even of cold nights. I am not looking forward to seeing how it goes on a hot night.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'm in a similar boat, although I think the mattress is fine, she doesn't. The base is definately fucked though, the slats are falling out in a section on my side. I was thinking latex, but the heat thing is a concern for me, as this place is an oven in summer, will probably end up with a spring setup of some sort.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I dunno, to me a bed's a bed. I once had a co-worker tell me about paying $3000 for a bed. It was all I could do to not laugh in his face.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno, to me a bed's a bed. I once had a co-worker tell me about paying $3000 for a bed. It was all I could do to not laugh in his face.
Pretty much, I think stress, coffee or too much sun have a bigger impact on how well you sleep then what you're sleeping on...

Or I'm just weird.

Sorry nothing particularly useful in this post... Except feather pillows are shithouse

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If you had a bad back, you'd try bloody anything!

Bought the pure latex mattress from the latex mattress company or whatever it's called. Soft, nice to sleep on, but didn't provide the miracle cure I was hoping for. Doesn't seem to get hot to me, but we did go with the most perforated one on an open adjustable base.

Cost about the same as a carbon mountain bike, and will last about 5 times as long

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spent ages looking and trying beds, since I spend 8hours sleeping on it most nights I want something that is bloody comfy.

I have a King Coil Chiro Medium. I paid $1200 (marked down from $2200) for the mattress and an additional $200 for a base (from a different manufacture), you can shop around with the base for all brands except Sealy, they have designed their mattresses to work with their base.

Memory foam, is a gimmick, as it ages it becomes uncomfortable and for the price of them you can get one with proper support and good airflow. Latex holds heat and makes you sweat which can become unhygienic as well as uncomfortable for yourself and partner. I believe in a good quality split spring sectioned mattress with a pillow topper. The pillow topper is only for the feel, how soft /deep you like to be held during a sleep. the springs are bearing your weight and creating the support for you body

My tips when picking a bed:

stick to about the middle of your price range, in your case around $1200, you will slide slowly towards to max you can spend as you find what you like.
try all the beds to begin with and you will find out what you like, record what you like and why, they tend to blur and try out different stores
lay down on them how you would and spend a good 5-10min there, laying exactly how you sleep in real life, i can't stress this enough!
Don't buy it on the first day you try it, come back another day and re-test i

Just my advice, but I regularly get compliments on how amazing my bed is and a few threats on stealing it.

Also a slight aside, the sheets you get can make a big difference on the way you sleep and how comfortable you are, but you can get them online. I sleep on 700, as they felt better than the higher thread count.