Girls on 29ers?

ashe_ep

Squid
I have a 29er but I've never met any girls who ride them. Is this purely a size thing?

I'm 175cm and pretty solid so I like the big feel.

Any thoughts on 29ers and why women should/shouldn't ride them?

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
Must admit I havent seen any girls on 29ers around Newcastle. I have just started riding a fixie, but that is a different ball game. Havent seen any girls riding fixed round here either.

Would love to try a 29er but dont know anyone who has one :(

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is quite a bit written on this on the forums.

The basics and what I would suggest in my experience is that unless you are over 6' tall I would stick with a 26" unless you have a fair bit of upper body strength to throw it around corners.

osmund

Squid
There is quite a bit written on this on the forums.

The basics and what I would suggest in my experience is that unless you are over 6' tall I would stick with a 26" unless you have a fair bit of upper body strength to throw it around corners.
Is that only for girls?? It seems strange to me...

I have ridden my husband's 29er a little bit (here and there, and not really offroad) , but it is (1) too big for me (he is a bigger frame size than me), (2) fully rigid and (3) a single speed which all adds up to hard work! :D

I would love a 29er, maybe dual suspension but since I got a new bike this year. I think that dream will have to wait a bit. :rolleyes:

Win

Likes Dirt
South east Queensland has plenty of girls on 29er, here's two dominationing the Master's div' at Mt Perry

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
I've been 'told' that size doesn't make a huge difference on a 29er and given that I'm picking up one very, very soon, I'm hoping it's true.

I also spent the weekend at the Singlespeed Champs at Newcastle and there were a number of females riding them there. And some of those were rigid!

Win

Likes Dirt
I've been 'told' that size doesn't make a huge difference on a 29er and given that I'm picking up one very, very soon, I'm hoping it's true.

I also spent the weekend at the Singlespeed Champs at Newcastle and there were a number of females riding them there. And some of those were rigid!
You're not the only one, at least two of the podium getters are up-grading there SS rides to 29ers, one already rides a geared 29er

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Got one

I've finally done it. Picked up my rigid Haro Mary Singlespeed and felt like I flew up Stromlo this morning.

I completely disagree with anyone who says 29ers aren't for girls. I'm 5'6 and a size 10. Not a big muscley thing by any means. The parts where I might have struggled on my other mountain bike I didn't even notice.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, I'm happy to lend the bike for a real trial, instead of just riding up and down the street from the bike store.

kyoda

Squid
Giant XTC1 29er

Ordered this machine 4 months ago - picked it up last week.

Changed the Avid 3 brakes for XT's, changed the saddle to a Selle Italia Lady and have since ditched the crap Giant seatpost for a Raceface one - could not do the seat clamp up tight enough. Seat kept tilting up when you hit the slightest bump :-(

My first 29er and it's fantastic!! Loving the ride.

Julie.........

Attachments

I'm 5'3" and ride a single speed 29er and love it. Friends mentioned that I might have trouble handling technical single track on the 29er as compared to my 26" bikes - but I have experienced no problems. I find the larger wheels perfect for longer rides as they seem to even out the bumps on fireroads etc which is great on my back and seems to help you roll quicker along the trails. I rode the 100km Highland Fling on it (as ss) and despite it being hardtail and quite bumpy out there my back felt great at the end. Love it! I don'tfeel to small on it and bike handling feels exactly the same to me as it does on my 26" bikes.

mooze

Likes Bikes
*Puts hand up*
I've had a 29" for a year and a bit now - love it (or did until the Husband borrowed it and broke it :( ) Avant K.I.S.S. SS - great fun to ride. I'm 5'7 and didn't have any problems with the size.

osmund

Squid
I am excited to read everyone's positive responses to 29ers. I have just bought a new baby: a Haro Mary XC (so with suspension and gears, and brown paint job :cool:).

I bought it primarily to use as my touring bike as my husband and I decided to tour on 29ers. But after reading all the comments about how ace 29ers are to ride/race, I will give it a go on some dirt tomorrow. I can't wait! :D