Giro helmet durability

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looking to buy a giro hex, fits ok but reviews on the fitting system's strength aren't great. Also aware that if you have a large enough sample of anything you will find people with issues. Does anyone have experience of the rocloc 5 system failing?
being a sweaty person I'm after something with both good protection and ventilation, so far this has been the best match

Ivan

Eats Squid
I've had two Giros. They were different models separated by many years but the Rocloc system has been flimsy on both.
This is my Hex. You can see how thin the plastic is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414993442.633946.jpg

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The entire helmet retention system needs to pass Australian standard testing.
My Giro helmet has been really comfy and I certainly don't feel that it's flimsy.

This is a more road/xc style lid than trail but I previously had a MET KAOS and the quality is similar

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Been using a Giro Hex for the last 4 years, I have had no issues to date with the helmet until recently. I'm a giro fanboy, as they fit my noggen really well, so this isn't an unbiased view.

The front attachment of the rocloc system has come a little loose and falls out occasionally. But it's not a particularly structural component, it's just there for adding to comfort, the actual straps are still taut and doing their job. I find the adjustment at the back to be easy to adjust, especially when wearing the helmet - after a haircut I tightened it recently. Otherwise fit and forget.

I also find the pads a little thin, wouldn't mind something a little more padded, I tend to sweat a lot and it's not a bad helmet in the warmth, but there's sure to be much better options in that regard.

Will happily buy another.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Been using a Giro Hex for the last 4 years, I have had no issues to date with the helmet until recently.

Will happily buy another.
After 4 years I'd be binning it and getting another helmet..... deterioration and all that.... I know some think that's a load of bollocks but I'd rather a protected head than an extra $100 in my wallet when it comes to the crunch....

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also find the pads a little thin, wouldn't mind something a little more padded, I tend to sweat a lot and it's not a bad helmet in the warmth, but there's sure to be much better options in that regard..
i don't quite squeeze into a 61cm lid, so that rules out met and lazer helmets for a start. Also looking at the fox helmets but think I'll give the giro a try now. thanks all.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox Flux is a great alternative mate, light, comfy, well proven helmet.

And cheap.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
After 4 years I'd be binning it and getting another helmet..... deterioration and all that.... I know some think that's a load of bollocks but I'd rather a protected head than an extra $100 in my wallet when it comes to the crunch....
+1 4 years of UV exposure, handling, bumps from being put in the car, taken out of the car, dropped by the kids etc.
Our helmets are not huge ticket items, money well spent on a new lid at ANY time.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

It's marketing and lawyers.

Read here http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm MET themselves reckon 8 years, and they should know.
Good link, I was wondering how long, the helmets still in good nick, no dings or cracks, I think i'll keep it for a few more years as long as the padding holds out. The only thing I know about helmets is the best one is the one that fits best.

If you want to be shocked, I used my Origonal TLD Daytona carbon for more than 15 years before replacing it with a D3, I could tell there was degradation of the foam in that so I replaced it... long after it was due.

As a bicycle messenger, replaced helmets every year or so, got worn daily 8-10 hours and beat up, I think the amount you were it (wear and tear) has a bit to do with it.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great info in the link. I would have thought that the foam might degrade from UV over time.

Very recently I ordered 3 Hex of CRC, didn't even think to have a squiz at wider reviews until later. But really for $42ea (what an awesome sale...lucky our heads are size small haha...one for me and each of the kids) I don't think I can go wrong.

My Protec Classic is 4yrs old, pads are worn and so the fit probably isn't the best any more since I always wear it with a hat underneath (hence the reason for buying a mtb style lid with a peak). Will probably still keep it as spare, maybe source some new pads for it.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I had many years a Hex and now I have a Met Kaos. I was always pleased with the Hex, but the Kaos fits me better and has better cooling (kind of important in the hot-humid Territory).

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I use a Giro for my commute here in Japan everyday. It gets a flogging hanging off my backpack in the train and then I sweat like mad riding in the summer heat and humidity. The retention system is running well and never given me trouble. Wish I could say the same about the clowns on the trains!

chocko

Likes Bikes
I switched to giro helmets a year or so ago and I like them. I have a zar for offroad and recently got a savant for on road and they are both great. Comfortable, nice adjustability and durable as far as I can tell.