Giving an older frame a new lease on life?

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
I always wonder how DH bikes come and go so quickly, people spend huge amounts of money on them and then it seems all of a sudden that they are useless after a few years. I'd really like to see some examples of older DH frames being built with new parts to see how they compare to new bikes.

I haven't ridden in a couple of years now and I've got a 2008 Morewood Izimu frame just sitting here doing nothing and it has inspired me to build it into something that will keep up with the new bikes. It's in mint condition and aesthetically it's pretty timeless. Simple single pivot, has a newer DHX air in it and the frame is all clean straight lines, no spaghetti tubes on this one. I am going to build it up with new components and see how it goes, but I'm keen to see and hear some photos or thoughts on bringing slightly older bikes back to a level where they will happily keep up with the new bikes. I really like the thought of finding a rare or interesting frame regardless of age and getting it up to date with the new gear.

Has anybody gone all out on an older frame and built it up with a bunch of new high quality parts? Doesn't have to be DH specific, just want some inspiration

moorey

call me Mia
This exact thread was discussed in depth very recently, Chigs.
In short. Many of us do. My favourite bikes are modernised oranges from the start of the 00's

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Bloody hell, I even searched and didn't find anything, what was the thread title? Would love to see photos of some older frames with new bits and pieces on them. I love the Oranges too, actually I like quite a few of the simple single pivot straight tubed bikes. Be keen to see some pictures.

safreek

I always wonder how DH bikes come and go so quickly, people spend huge amounts of money on them and then it seems all of a sudden that they are useless after a few years. I'd really like to see some examples of older DH frames being built with new parts to see how they compare to new bikes.

I haven't ridden in a couple of years now and I've got a 2008 Morewood Izimu frame just sitting here doing nothing and it has inspired me to build it into something that will keep up with the new bikes. It's in mint condition and aesthetically it's pretty timeless. Simple single pivot, has a newer DHX air in it and the frame is all clean straight lines, no spaghetti tubes on this one. I am going to build it up with new components and see how it goes, but I'm keen to see and hear some photos or thoughts on bringing slightly older bikes back to a level where they will happily keep up with the new bikes. I really like the thought of finding a rare or interesting frame regardless of age and getting it up to date with the new gear.

Has anybody gone all out on an older frame and built it up with a bunch of new high quality parts? Doesn't have to be DH specific, just want some inspiration
Hi bud, if you are not a racer I recon its all good. I rock a 26" :wacko: single pivot cdale prophet from 05-06 that does not need updating, good geo and all that. Yeah its not a downhill bike but all the stock parts handle fine except the avids, they are gone. All the modern forks don't seem as plush as the old marz or Manitou, that is just my opinion. I don't need tiny changes in suspension to make me happy but I am just a person who enjoys riding without all the bullshit. My 11 year old bike will even take 27.5 wheels if I wish to be silly enough to do it, dunno why people do it though

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'm all for restoring and refurbishing old frames and bikes. I'm hoping to find an old Stumpy, Trance or NRS for XC duties soon. I'm not really into the retro thing, but modernised older bikes are great!

moorey

call me Mia
Haven't found the thread, but I will. One of the biggest issues with older DH bikes is the geo. My 2001 222 was slacker than most of the day, but I improved it with 1" longer travel forks....but to counteract that, I used a slightly shorter (air) shock than original (coil), as well as offset bushes, do the bb height stayed fine. The old 222 also had the shuttle, to allow shock movement by up to an inch.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haven't found the thread, but I will. One of the biggest issues with older DH bikes is the geo. My 2001 222 was slacker than most of the day, but I improved it with 1" longer travel forks....but to counteract that, I used a slightly shorter (air) shock than original (coil), as well as offset bushes, do the bb height stayed fine. The old 222 also had the shuttle, to allow shock movement by up to an inch.
This one ???? http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?138808-The-Vintage-Mountain-Bike-Thread

moorey

call me Mia
Not DH, but my pimped 02 patriot.

And the only pic I have on hand of my 2001 222, before adding DH tyres, a guide and a dropper post.

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Awesome to hear that there's people who keep these bikes going strong. Moorey your 222 is awesome. I'm aware that as things advance, the geo can become very outdated. The bike I actually want to build is only 8 years old and has the added benefit of a shuttle to adjust geo. I don't think I will actually have any disadvantages due to geometry at all. I would also like to see it get as many new top of the line parts as the budget will allow for. I just enjoy seeing older bikes with new gear that go just as hard as the new rigs. Please post up some more photos if anybody has them.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Six years old now (not sure if that's old enough to qualify), it's the bushed V1.5 version that had issues requiring a bit of work to get back into commission.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290720

Affectionately referred to as the Povo Rune, she's still an awesome rig.

Frame: 2011 Mythic (nee Banshee) Rune V1.5

Shock: 2016 Fox Factory Float DPS with EVOL can

Fork: X Fusion Sweep RL2, 160mm

Headset: Chris King i5

Stem: Thomspson Elite X4 50mm

Bars: Renthal fatbars 780mm

Grips: ODI lock ons

Brakes: SRAM Guide RS

Rotors: SRAM Centreline 200mm front, 180mm rear.

Wheels: Rear: Stans ZTR Flow EX 26 to Hope Pro II, tubeless
Front: American Classic Wide Lightening 27.5, tubeless

Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.4 EXO rear, Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x 2.4 EXO 3C front

Cranks: Shimano XT

Pedals: Straitline Defacto

Chainring: Fouriers 32T NW

Cassette: SRAM something 11-36

Chain: SRAM something

Rear mech: SRAM X9 type 2

Shifter: SRAM X9

Seatpost: KS Dropzone, 385 x 125mm to a modified SRAM X7 remote

Seat: SDG Bellair

moorey

call me Mia
I would also like to see it get as many new top of the line parts as the budget will allow for..
My budget allowed for zero of those. Cheap boxxers, and spares I had in the shed. Its still a lot of fun to ride, and I raced one round of King of Ballarat on it this year. Its far more capable than I am, and it got a few nods of approval (but more giggles from the young chunts on $10k wonders that their parents paid for)
The Patriot had a higher end build. Hope hoops, new straight steerer revs, new XT build, thomson dropper, and is/was an absolute dream to ride. I rode and raced it for 18 months after the rebuild, then passed it onto my wife before breaking it. Without dropper, and having zero carbon parts, it comes in at 12kg with pedals. VERY impressive for a 14yo alu bike with 125 rear, 140 front. The old oranges are surprisingly light, and I hear the morewoods are similar. Looking forward to the build.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nah, in the last few months. Someone asking about modernising and old frame. I'll stumble across it soon enough. There's been a few over the years.
Was that the one where he was discussing doing up an old DH with new kit to build a more enduro™/trail oriented bike?

OP, mine was an 08 rune with new kit, including new pike, ccdbacs, dropper and short stem. Rode brilliantly, only thing I didn't like, and couldn't change were the open dropouts on the rear.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Six years old now (not sure if that's old enough to qualify), it's the bushed V1.5 version that had issues requiring a bit of work to get back into commission.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290720

Affectionately referred to as the Povo Rune, she's still an awesome rig.

That's awesome mate, I come from an automotive background and am also a big fan of motorbikes and in the car/bike world there's really no such thing as anything povo, in fact sometimes the most insane builds are the ones that started as povo and got turned into something awesome. That's why I like the idea of freshening up an older frame.

My budget allowed for zero of those. Cheap boxxers, and spares I had in the shed. Its still a lot of fun to ride, and I raced one round of King of Ballarat on it this year. Its far more capable than I am, and it got a few nods of approval (but more giggles from the young chunts on $10k wonders that their parents paid for)
The Patriot had a higher end build. Hope hoops, new straight steerer revs, new XT build, thomson dropper, and is/was an absolute dream to ride. I rode and raced it for 18 months after the rebuild, then passed it onto my wife before breaking it. Without dropper, and having zero carbon parts, it comes in at 12kg with pedals. VERY impressive for a 14yo alu bike with 125 rear, 140 front. The old oranges are surprisingly light, and I hear the morewoods are similar. Looking forward to the build.
Yeah that patriot is a great looking bike, I'm actually surprised at how modern both of those bikes look. The orange frames are pretty timeless as well, that's why I'm a fan of the simple single pivot frames. I'm keen to get the Morewood out around the young chunts to be honest, pretty keen to see their faces when they get out ridden by a fat man on an antique. Well it's not really that old, but still.

Here's what I'm starting with, forks will probably get replaced for this years world cups but also considering BOS and Fox.

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Was that the one where he was discussing doing up an old DH with new kit to build a more enduro™/trail oriented bike?

OP, mine was an 08 rune with new kit, including new pike, ccdbacs, dropper and short stem. Rode brilliantly, only thing I didn't like, and couldn't change were the open dropouts on the rear.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt
Mint bike mate! I honestly can't see why a slightly older frame wrapped in new parts couldn't match a bike from the last couple of years. That looks great.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
it might be my thread, was lookikng to make an old DH frame (stab or atomik, i have both just sitting there rotting away...) an all mountain bike
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ilding-up-old-frame-into-new-All-Mountain-rig

I see your from northern nsw, im inland from newcastle and once I looked at collecting all the parts for what I wanted and adding postage/risk of buying used parts unseen it was just cheaper to buy a used bike with more suitable geometry.
I have no time to drive up and down to sydney to check out individual parts anymore (30's, job and kids etc)

It is a shame to have old frames sitting around gathering dust, but with people thinking of bikes as fashionistic props for the cafe it means 5-6yr old bikes are cheap as chips. there loss, my gain :love:

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah that patriot is a great looking bike, I'm actually surprised at how modern both of those bikes look. The orange frames are pretty timeless as well, that's why I'm a fan of the simple single pivot frames. I'm keen to get the Morewood out around the young chunts to be honest, pretty keen to see their faces when they get out ridden by a fat man on an antique. Well it's not really that old, but still.

Here's what I'm starting with, forks will probably get replaced for this years world cups but also considering BOS and Fox.

That looks as good as an orange...if not a more modern orange swingarm like my '14 Alpine.
IMG_4399.jpg
Its a good looking frame, and the HA looks pretty modern. For the record, I wasn't trying to, and definitely didn't, show up any kids....but that wasn't the bikes fault.....

takai

Eats Squid
I still have an old 06 Spesh Demo 9 as my DH bike. 2011 Fox 40s, and 2012 Shimano drivetrain. Still got the old 2006 DeeMaxes though :)

Waiting for the frame to crack around the bottom bracket/shock cage though. They all do.