Giving an older frame a new lease on life?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Did this with mine 2 years ago next Tuesday, worth every cent. Now it's happening again with another Sunday frame and a 6 point frame. Weight is the only thing stopping you, with some fancy headset cups and messing with shock size you can get modern geo pretty easily and the old girls love it.

20605_10153262510896060_3879420431235242190_n.jpg

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Having just retired a bike that I resurected ~12 months ago, its totally worth it. Got the parts I wanted mostly on sale from CRC etc, built it up and rode it and it felt better than it ever did. Since i already had the frame, cost was pretty reasonable, parts are certainly cheaper these days than they ever were when you would have bought that frame new! I was smart and mostly got items that would carry forward onto a new frame which is what ive just done.

Having said that, I have a 26" wheelset that isn't going to get used anymore... Hadley 150x12, Dice 20mm, Mavic 823 both ends, probably ~5 shuttle days on them thanks to a fork warranty before I moved to a 27.5 frame...
Where abouts are you located mate, are you going to part ways with the wheels? I could be interested for my build if you're selling them.

Did this with mine 2 years ago next Tuesday, worth every cent. Now it's happening again with another Sunday frame and a 6 point frame. Weight is the only thing stopping you, with some fancy headset cups and messing with shock size you can get modern geo pretty easily and the old girls love it.

View attachment 332299
That is exactly what I'm talking about, that looks bloody amazing. I hope my project turns out as nice as that. How did it ride with the newer style geo and new parts?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
That is exactly what I'm talking about, that looks bloody amazing. I hope my project turns out as nice as that. How did it ride with the newer style geo and new parts?
Totally new bike, new parts make an old bike shine. She's running a bit different now, large frame and a float x2 in the rear, man I can't justify a new frame now. It's getting the 650 treatment with a custom built rear triangle and hopefully I'll ride it another 10 years. Gets a bit pricey but still less than a new carbon frame.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where abouts are you located mate, are you going to part ways with the wheels? I could be interested for my build if you're selling them.
Absolutely, I haven't got any use for them anymore and they'd be a great wheelset for your bike. Im in melbourne but can always ship to you if needed. Shoot me a PM if you're interested

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Is that yours mate? That is spectacular! I've got a soft spot for Doritos too, was even thinking of a set for my build.
Yeah man, started off with just a front and rear triangle... bought from a forum member.
No linkage, no shock, etc.

Great long term project. :)

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
I cant recommend current model Dorados enough. Fit 26 and 27.5 wheels with ease so you're nicely future proofed, the damper is excellent, price on CRC is excellent also

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-dorado-expert-forks-2016/rp-prod90493
I might be sold then, I ran a 2012 set of Dorado pro's a few years ago and I loved them. That was probably the last MTB I had before now. Might just get another set if they are still held in high regard. Would look excellent on the black morewood too!

Yeah man, started off with just a front and rear triangle... bought from a forum member.
No linkage, no shock, etc.

Great long term project. :)
That's awesome man, I can't wait to starting ordering some bits and pieces for my build too. I've had some top of the line spec builds in past years but it seems like I'm more excited about this one, not sure why but definitely looking forward to it!

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
depending on how much of the bike you are upgrading it might still be worth looking for a used (but newer) donor bike
scavenge the parts and sell whatever you dont need to reclaim some of the initial cost

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
That's awesome man, I can't wait to starting ordering some bits and pieces for my build too. I've had some top of the line spec builds in past years but it seems like I'm more excited about this one, not sure why but definitely looking forward to it!
It's just fun building from scratch, I think.
Choosing each and every part to your liking... obviously more expensive, but at the end of the build it's unique and everything you wanted it to be. :)

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think its worthwhile, unless you know exactly what you want and you can't get it elsewhere (new).

I have a 2008 Commencal Supreme Team DH (see pic).

I always wanted one when I could never afford one and I remember watching Cedric Gracia ride this on several world cup events and New World Disorder movies.
I wanted to do this up with modern tech, green DVO's and other quality parts. The bike would have been a great bike and awesome to see but even once fully built it would still be worth the price of an 8 year old bike. You can say that the resale isn't a consideration because you won't sell it but if the time came to sell it for whatever reason you would have lost more money than those of us who bought Woolworths shares this year. Most of the parts then wouldn't be suitable to a modern bike which would make it less desirable and harder to sell. This frame I will sell or hang on the wall.

Putting money aside, the technology in parts is based around modern geometry, sizes and specifications are built to work "best" with todays leverage ratio, suspension systems and some companies like Yeti even working in with Fox to dial a suspension platform specific to the bike. Why not buy modern parts to compliment a modern frame.

I have aborted the Commencal rebuild and got on board a runout SC V10cc (see pic) I still get to build the bike exactly how I like it with the benefit of matching todays technology to the latest improvements of the bike. From a pricing point its not to much more because there is so much option from all manufacturers I can shop around and search the best price.

On this note I think you should seek the geometry (frame) you want and spend money on suspension and the rest of the parts are dependant on you budget. The frame and suspension dictate how much you will get out of the bike.

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
I don't see resale value as a valid point to be honest, you must have spent a good chunk of coin on that V10 which sort of renders that point null and void anyway since that money is now spent.. There's nothing stopping me buying a newer frame in the future and putting all of the modern components onto it anyway. Resale in the DH world is absolutely shocking anyway, nothing ever holds value. I'm also lucky that the Morewood I'm basing my build on isn't outdated as far as geometry goes and even if I did purchase something newer, it would probably end up very similar as far as geo goes.

I do know what you mean though, but I have had a few new big dollar builds before and I'm probably not as skilled as I was. I want to do something different this time, it may even prove to be more costly trying to get an older bike to ride like a new one, more fun in my opinion though!

Money aside, it's cool to ride something different I think. Built up how I want it to be it should be very competitive too.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I don't think its worthwhile, unless you know exactly what you want and you can't get it elsewhere (new).

I have a 2008 Commencal Supreme Team DH (see pic).

I always wanted one when I could never afford one and I remember watching Cedric Gracia ride this on several world cup events and New World Disorder movies.
I wanted to do this up with modern tech, green DVO's and other quality parts. The bike would have been a great bike and awesome to see but even once fully built it would still be worth the price of an 8 year old bike. You can say that the resale isn't a consideration because you won't sell it but if the time came to sell it for whatever reason you would have lost more money than those of us who bought Woolworths shares this year. Most of the parts then wouldn't be suitable to a modern bike which would make it less desirable and harder to sell. This frame I will sell or hang on the wall.

Putting money aside, the technology in parts is based around modern geometry, sizes and specifications are built to work "best" with todays leverage ratio, suspension systems and some companies like Yeti even working in with Fox to dial a suspension platform specific to the bike. Why not buy modern parts to compliment a modern frame.

I have aborted the Commencal rebuild and got on board a runout SC V10cc (see pic) I still get to build the bike exactly how I like it with the benefit of matching todays technology to the latest improvements of the bike. From a pricing point its not to much more because there is so much option from all manufacturers I can shop around and search the best price.

On this note I think you should seek the geometry (frame) you want and spend money on suspension and the rest of the parts are dependant on you budget. The frame and suspension dictate how much you will get out of the bike.

97.2% of that post is irrelevant. And horse shite.

If you want a new frame, and can afford a new frame, by all means, nock yourself out.

How is it a waste to re purpose a frame and let it get ridden for another few years? How is it a waste of time if you'll get as much, if not more, enjoyment out of tracking down gear to build, and getting stuck into the build. As for a waste of money, in my humble opinion, it's more of a waste to shell out on the latest and greatest, only to discard it on 12 to 18 months, when the newest, greatest, kool aidest trend is released. It's the biggest problem with the cycling industry, and more than half the reason for all the half arsed "standards" getting introduced weekly.

A bicycle is a very basic machine, it's only our avarice and need to impress others with our cool new cutting edge rig, that makes things more complicated than they need to be.

There are a few frames out there, that while never being "cutting edge", even when new, were ahead of their time in forward thinking adaptability, and are still a solid foundation for a bike that can mix it with a lot of today's, follow the leader, cookie cutter designs. A 5-8 year old DH bike is a match for a lot of contemporary AM frames, and with good selection of parts, can hold its own, somewhat, in the weight department.

By your logic, what's the point of doing up an old car, motorbike, house, pair of tits, teeth. Why bother with remastering old music, movies, games? You're cutting yourself out of a lot of pleasure. Saving a bit of pain, sure, but mostly missing out on plain old fun.

That's my 57¢

Knuckles, out!

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt