Glenrock, Awaba; What else???

Hi guys,

Two part question;

1) Where else to ride?
2) Where to set up camp centrally?

I have a CUB camper. Was going to take the young bloke and some mates to Canberra as I have done before in the July holidays but decided to avoid the cold and go north instead.

Awaba and Glenrock look fairly close. Is there anything near those that is must do? We are in the Gong and the kids have all done GV plus Stromlo, Majura, Thredbo so capable. Any tips from locals or regulars for a central camping location? With other peoples kids in my care will probably be after a van park with amenities.

Thanks

spikenet

Likes Dirt
It must suck living so close to GV! :)

Ourimbah, Dungog, taree.

You might find a caravan park that is central to ourimbah, awaba, glenrock with a short drive. Dungog has free camping in the commons, taree not sure about best camping options..

there is kulnura retreat but that might be what your looking for.. https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/5800893

There is plenty of riding on the southern end of central coast, camping at umina on the beach then can access somersby (thomos loop etc), kincumber mountain, katandra/rhumbalara, bouddi. Theres a big bmx/pump track at umina and skate park.. Another awesome bmx track at san remo.. and terrigal.

It must suck living so close to GV! :)
Yeah, its awful. Shuttles there yesterday. Booked again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips. Haven't heard of most of those so will hit up dr google. Maybe I will stay Central Coast. If we headed further up from there on one day would you recommend Awaba or Glenrock for a day's riding (more enduro than XC)?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Definately Ourimbah and Awaba.. Both have great XC loops and DH tracks.

I havnt been to killingworth for years, but have heard good things.. plenty around here to do

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...the only catch being that outside riding times the central coast is pretty dull. Google tells me your camper is a trailer pop up thing, which will make life a little tricky as there isn't much camping "central" to riding. Umina beach is a nice place to camp, so is Patonga, but they are both a fair hike from Ourimbah or Awaba. Have a look for something in Lake Macquarie for central between Newcastle's offerings and Ourimbah. Though once again you won't have much to do at night and the lake is big, getting around it can be a pain in the arse. There is also some free camping sites up in the wattagans, which has some great trails including Awaba.

Glenrock in Newcastle has a few good offerings such as sugarloaf (but you'll want to shuttle and it is.mostly old fire roads), glenrock (though 160mm is overkill and the main legitimate trail is just xc), killingworth (if the bogans haven't torn it up on their motorcycles and 4Was), Ourimbah isn't too far, Awaba is close enough, there's also stuff like Amazon and saw mill in the wattagans (near Awaba). Ourimbah dh and am in particular is good for a 160mm bike. You'll also find things to do outside riding.

Thanks guys. Booked at Umina. Happy to travel up to an hour so that brings Awaba and Ourimbah into it plus will have Kincumber close by.

Mooney Mooney and Brisbane Waters came up when I searched as close by. Mixed info as to quality. Couldnt find anything on Somersby so guessing sekrit trails.

Is there any stuff right near Umina beach to access on bike for quick jaunts without loading up the car (local kid built stuff or other)?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
good one! Umina is good base. If you want some local info send me a PM, if I can make it work, I'll take you to some spots!

brisbane water NP has some great firetrail rides, rocky ponds, penang st descent is quite fun. you can easily do a big loop from umina, LOTS of options. Blackwall Mtn has some good DH tracks and kincumber mtn has some top tracks also (you will have to jump some fences) Strava is your friend for finding trails :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and don't forget the great council built dirt jump bmx track at umina beach! It's right near the skate park, which is also good on suitable bikes.

G'day lads,

Having a ball.

2 loops of Ourimbah XC plus a push run of the bottom section of the DH on day 1.

A red loop and blue loop at Awaba plus another push run of the bottom bit of DH. What a steep mother that is! Loved Awaba today. Hard pressed to think of a better XC circuit of the 25 or so I have done in NSW, Vic and ACT.

Would like to stay local to Umina tomorrow. Any pointers for the Brisbane Waters NP trailhead? Would like to do that before lunch and maybe Kincumber in the arvo.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had a run around Awaba this week. They've done a lot of work recently, and the flyover is a pretty serious commitment since I was last there in December. Great stuff.

Home now. We had a good week.

A bit rainy for the last 15mins at Ourimbah. Loved the Flying Carpet section. Also loved the bit of the DH we did.

Thought Awaba was awesome. The fun incorporated in the ascent of the red loop was so cleverly done. We ride Stromlo a fair bit, which is all work in comparison on the way up. The kids loved the "Sallad Bowl" and the pump section leading into the bridge crossover.

When we finally found the better DH'ish section at Kincumber we had a ball. We got a bit lost from the telco tower the first time and ended up deep down the northeast side. We ended up taking the new XC track across to the other ridge and the Warriwarri lookout. The descent from there is great fun. It was getting dark so couldn't go again but would have loved to.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Rode Awaba a couple of weeks ago when my wife and I were holidaying out that way. Awesome tracks. The road climb up to the top of the DH track is a real dog but made worth it by the down. My wife and I hadn't never ridden it so we had no idea what we were in for. Not for the faint hearted, especially as it was wet, but frigging awesome regardless!! Kudos to Mrs DMan as she at least 90% of it too...