Advocacy Alert Glenrock Trail Alliance - Build Days and News

karl_eller

Likes Bikes
I really want to start riding in Glenrock again, especially to check out Shit Happens. It's a pity that my weekends are taken, which is the only time available with my regular riding partner :(

beneast

Cannon Fodder
DH Tracks

Hi there guys - looks like there is some fantastic work going on in Glenrock. I usually live in Newcastle but have been away with work for the last 9 months. Looks like there has been a lot happening since I have been away.

Would love to try and support the Freeride side of things a little - where can I write a submission! Also may be happy to make some donation towards work on a freeride style track if that kind of thing is appropriate.

B

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Aha so that's what's been going on. I saw it all blocked off with machinery in there one day but I thought it was related to whatever they are doing next to the sewerage works. Will have to check it out.

TBH I thought it was starting to look a little like a disaster zone from the perspective of the trail getting really wide and eroded so it's great to see it getting fixed up.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Lookin' good!

I went up the new section of trail last weekend and it's a huge improvement. Will be even better once it all beds in and the mess of the old trails is reclaimed by the bush. Was going to ride it again on Friday but there was a machine in there working the bottom section.

Out of interest is there some sort of a plan of attack for which trails are going to get a makeover?

Also interested in who's going to be looking after maintenance of the trails long term? eg BJ's is starting to get a few dud lines developing around eroded sections etc. Would be a shame to see this get too out of control.

Is there a mailing list I can sign up to so I know about upcoming build days? I'm notoriously hopeless at checking web sites for things like this but if it's sitting there in my inbox I'll be onto it.

In the overall plan is there any chance the Bus Stop trail will be retained? TBH I reckon this is about the best bit of single track in there so it would be a huge shame to see us lose it. Other than a couple of dodgy corners it also seems to hold up pretty well to the traffic. Bus Stop followed by the climb back up the fire trail to Scout Camp Rd is one of my fav combo's.

Last edited:

sruge

Likes Dirt
Well done guys - I rolled through yesterday afternoon just as you finished up and it's looking good. Thanks for your efforts.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Awesome work guys! Wanna have a chat to the Folks in the Royal NP to give them some ideas?!!:D Keep it up!

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Thanks for posting those Gaz, I was going to poach them and stick them up. I walked the new section this morning with NPWS, IMBA and a few trail builders. No rain damage to the trail and the drainage generally works well. The trail is very soft though, so it needs time to pack in, hopefully it doesn't get too many wheels across it while it settles in.

We gave IMBA a bit of a tour of some other trails as well. Also good to note that the local NPWS will be at the IMBA trails forum this week as will EMPY who any of you who have been to the trail days would know.

Looking really nice in there though, top work to the NPWS and the trail builders.

Out of interest is there some sort of a plan of attack for which trails are going to get a makeover?
Short answer, yes there is a plan. We have a few hundred page trail audit from World Trail and will be systematically working through it as budget and other constraints allow.

Also interested in who's going to be looking after maintenance of the trails long term? eg BJ's is starting to get a few dud lines developing around eroded sections etc. Would be a shame to see this get too out of control.
Part of the current works is to train up volunteers to be able to do work on the trail system. Not major works like we have just done, but more the tidying up and ongoing stuff you talk of. Funny you bring up BJ's, we walked it today and discussed it with NPWS and IMBA and there will be some work carried out in the short term and some modification in the medium term.[/quote]

Is there a mailing list I can sign up to so I know about upcoming build days? I'm notoriously hopeless at checking web sites for things like this but if it's sitting there in my inbox I'll be onto it.
Send me your email address and I will pass it onto the guy handling most of the build days while my back is out. Also keep an eye on the notice board at Gunclub or the GTA forum.

In the overall plan is there any chance the Bus Stop trail will be retained? TBH I reckon this is about the best bit of single track in there so it would be a huge shame to see us lose it. Other than a couple of dodgy corners it also seems to hold up pretty well to the traffic. Bus Stop followed by the climb back up the fire trail to Scout Camp Rd is one of my fav combo's.
At this point south of the lagoon will be out. Long term I would like to think we can demonstrate that the trails in the north work and that we have a case for the reinstatement of Bus Stop. What we have achieved so far is a huge jump forward for the NPWS, but I am fairly confident that if we can demonstrate it all works, that we can review sections like Bus Stop.

sammydog

Following on from the recent trail works in Glenrock, another build day has been scheduled to keep things moving along.

The local NPWS rangers are wanting to take some visitors and other NPWS managers out to look at the trails during the second week of May. These managers are the people who set the tone of mtb access in other National Parks, so its important things look right when they are here.

We will be working on the 'Shit Happens' site again (the recent trail works), to tidy it up and try to have it completely finished. the recent rain has seen the bottom start to bed in nicely.

Also over on BJ's some of the corners are still giving us trouble so we'll try to get some work done there as well. This work is really needed to fix this up as the preferred Gravity Trail to take the downward pressure off SH's. Hopefully then the new trail will be a climb with BJ's the decent.

This will be a NPWS supported day with BBQ lunch and the Trees in Newcastle people coming along to plant trees around the trail.

Meet at "the gate opposite 194 scenic drive" entrance to the powerline easement at 9.30am so we can be down there working by 10.

Bring the usual stuff - shoes, gloves, hat, sunnies and yellow GTA shirt if you have one.
Bring your own drinking water.
All tools will be provided.

Friends are most definitely welcome to the build.

For more information on the build day, <b>follow this link.

sammydog

Good turn out today (pretty stunning day as well). Morning works consisted of tidying up the new sections of the Shit Happens Trail. Some more armouring, tidying up of the trail and its surrounds, closure of old lines and tweaking of the new stuff was the order of the day (well morning).

BBQ for lunch and then over to BJ's. Unfortunately I had to run after lunch so this is all I got in the way of photos. The trail has bedded in really nicely though and seems to be holding up to traffic well and draining as it should.

Water channel crossing. Some pretty serious rock work here made to swallow the wheels of unsuspecting cyclocross riders.

Start of the reclamation works of the old line.

Turns out the A-Line challenge is actually three lines. some work here to strengthen the B-Line which had crumbly shale in it.

The finished line, A to the right, B in the middle and C-Line to the left.

Shame about the shit works wrecking the view, actually a bit of a pong from them today, that contrary to popular belief was not actually coming from me.

My contribution to the days proceedings, burnt snags..........sorry.

The lunch crew

glenjacobs

Cannon Fodder
Great work fella's, really leading the way in successful partnerships, outcomes and solutions, looks like a bright future is on the horizon.

sammydog

It would be great to take you for a spin around one day Glen to see if we have interpreted correctly what you documented.

We really are coming along in leaps and bounds now though and the NPWS staff seem to really be getting into it.

Area managers from around the state will be there this week to see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully it influences NPWS decisions elsewhere in a positive way.