Advocacy Alert Glenrock Trail Alliance - Build Days and News

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Been a while, with a few build days between since I have updated here. For those who aren't looking at the GTA Site, here are a few photos of whats going on.

Our Plan of Management was also adopted, so this is all finally legal singletrail in a National Park. The Park Staff have been awesome on build days, almost more keen than we are, so for now some photos and I'll post the next build day date when it is picked. The next build day will be repairing the two lines around the chute area of the Upper Kenny Trail.

NPWS Excavator work at the trail head off Gun Club Road. This trail was becoming a v shaped rut that channeled water for a few hundred meters.

Repairing and armoring the upper Kenny trail where runoff from the Pacific Highway is causing issues.

There is more photos of all these works on the GTA site,

sammydog

Next Glenrock Build Day is on March 5th. Work will be on the Upper Jumping the Gun Trail. Details here http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/19773

The machine work has been completed on the western half of the trail and is now moving down the hill to the east.

For those who haven't seen what we are doing, some photos and info can be found on the GTA site http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/19422

A few sneak peaks here though. Have to say, the NPWS are getting pretty handy with the mini excavator work.

New alignment with rock crossing. Low sections are designed to hold the water and keep it off the trail. These will be planted with native vegetation.

New alignment, old section to the left to be reclaimed.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's looking fantastic. It would be great to get the same level of support at Loftus/RNP, both from NPWS and mtb volunteers.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Not a great photo but I like this one because it shows some of the shape that's been put into the trail. Previously this was gun barrel straight with the only features being muddy puddles and unsuccessful attempts to ride around the wet bits.

sammydog

hey,

Looking great there, perfect for a new 6/5" inch dually I want to get... any more photos any where?
Best place for photos is at http://www.glenrocktrailalliance.com

The section above runs from the top of the jump run and links in with the previously reworked Twisties section. Should be a decent length (for glenrock) descending trail with berms, jumps (the original ones are being reworked) and hopefully other features.

Going for a spin tomorrow morning hopefully so I will get more shots then of the most recent works.

Last edited:

sammydog

More updates from Glenrock as momentum continues to build.

Next Build Day - Sat 2nd April (Details Here)
GTA Trail Crew Social Ride and Reccy (Details Here)

Now for the latest trail work updates.

Work has conitnued on Upper Jumping the Gun with NPWS turning up on their days off to help out the volunteers. This was to be a green level trail and we have acheived this, however we have also thrown in some fun optional lines. You can read about the build day here, but here are some of the photos.

Alternate Lines and Jumps taking shape

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
You guys rock!! Want to invite the rangers from the Royal NP up and show them how it's done?

sammydog

Good question.

I'm hoping that, unlike the mud jump trail, there will be enough traffic on this section to dissuade the kids from modifying. In theory it should be self policing.

Let's see what happens in practice.

fairy1

Banned
Good question.

I'm hoping that, unlike the mud jump trail, there will be enough traffic on this section to dissuade the kids from modifying. In theory it should be self policing.

Let's see what happens in practice.
Those jumps were left as built by GJ and his crew for at least six months which is pretty crazy really, the kids have had a go at fixing them, I know they aren't great but you can't do much if you don't have new dirt to repair wear and tear that happens over time.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
hey sammydog,

cheers for all the hard work with everything involved, many many hours you have put into all of this! Will put together a web edit with all the new trails when I can.

Trails are looking killer and exactly what I what to ride at my age !

Will try to make it to the next working bee:)

sammydog

Better late than never, some more shots of the new sections on Jumping the Gun. This is the final section leading into twisties. More photos and info at http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/20513

NPWS volunteering while on annual leave.

Finished alternate lines, all the old jumps have been rebuilt along this section so none were lost in the rebuild.

New trail filter on entry to twisties

sammydog

And in more news, it has been confirmed that the World Trail Crew will be working in Glenrock for three weeks in May.

The priority trails for them to be working on are Shaft, Suess, Snakes and Ladders as well as the Mud Jums and Rythm section if time permits.

Shaft, Suess and Snakes and Ladders all represent major works including complete reroutes of sections of trails. There will be volunteer trail days during this period, so if you are interested in helping keep an eye out here or at the GTA website.

sammydog

Next Glenrock Build Day - Double Barrel (aka Jumping the Gun) finishing Touches Build Day - 7th May

The NPWS and Ranger Tiffany would like to have one more trailwork day on this trail, just a general clean-up some weed picking and tree planting.

They would like this 'Gateway Trail' to be something special worthy of showing off to visitors.

Tiffany would also like to put on a BBQ for the volunteers and just have a cruisy day with maybe some time to have a ride.

So Saturday 7th of May at the Gun Club Rd. gate, 9.30 am. All wecome, just drop in on your way past or stay and help doesn't matter.

Hope to see a few of you there to finish off the best works in glenrock to date.

More info here - http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/21184

Last edited:

sammydog

Day 1 with World Trail

Building with the World Trail crew got underway today on the Shaft Trail. The old steep chute entrance had gotten so steep and eroded that it was starting to undermine the Sewage Works Access road. This was enough justification to allow the NPWS to sign off on a new trail corridor.

Here is some more photos, but to follow the progress go to http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/20817#comment-64701

We would ask that you stay off the trail until we are finished. The site is classed as a construction areas and the trails need time to bed in.

New Start to the trail. You can see the old eroded trail under the orange fencing. This line crossed the new trail and continued straight down the hill.

More of the original line bypass

Further down a big bermleads to big rollers;

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's looks great, was thinking over heading up in about 3 weeks is it easy to find my way around?

sammydog

I think its OK. Just start at the Gun Club gates, turn left and ride.

You could ask on the GTA site for a trail guide, I'm sure someone would be happy to help.