Gloves you're lovin

slowmick

38-39"
With lack of skill comes the need for gloves with knuckle protection glancing of trees and some padding in the palm for soft girly office work hands. Have been using Fox gloved but they seem to fall apart at the seams or the closures rip off.

Is there quality to be found or should i just buy in bulk and change often?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've been happy with Sombrio as a brand. The ones I have aren't DH/FR specific so there's no knuckle protection but decent palm pads and strong material.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a set of JT Racing gloves, they are super comfy and have lasted ages. My previous fox ones also fell apart after a few rides. I was pretty disappointed in them.

my02

Likes Dirt
For the last 2-3 years I've been using ONeal gloves.

I've used MCAS on Wentworth Ave in Sydney for a few years as they have a huge range and are as cheap as chips. $20 per pair I think.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
For the last 2-3 years I've been using ONeal gloves.

I've used MCAS on Wentworth Ave in Sydney for a few years as they have a huge range and are as cheap as chips. $20 per pair I think.
I'm also using oneal gloves. Bought them when I had my quad years ago. No padding, but they have held up to years of abuse.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive had similar experience with Fox gloves recently.

I picked up a pair on special online of Dakine Sentinel gloves and so far they have been great and survived a few crashes without any issues. Can be a bit warm in hot weather though due to the D30 knuckle protection.

John U

MTB Precision
Hi Mick,

I've been using Troy Lee XC gloves for years. They don't have a lot of protection but seem to have saved me from major damage when things go arse up or I smack my knuckles into things so far. Didn't help my shoulder charge into a tree this arvo, but miraculously saved me when I ploughed into the rail crossing guard rail this morning (first couple of rides with new wider bars). They don't look anything special, especially after a few years of abuse. Maybe they're infused with special pixie dust or maybe I'm not going hard enough.

John U

MTB Precision
I've been sporting raceface flank this summer. Matched with ritchy foam grips: feels good man.
Maybe that's the trick, I'm running rogue grips on all my bikes and have been for years. Never thought of them saving me when I plough into shit.

haltz

Likes Dirt
I can't go past deft family, I've been running the same set for about 6 months usually doing a couple trail rides a week as well as on the moto and have finally just popped a hole in the palm, theyre also rediculously comfortable and I don't need to take them off to text the Mrs to say I'll be 2 hours longer than I said

kwikee

Likes Dirt
My Fox gloves had the Velcro come off the closure tabs, bought some 661's and they are awesome. Thin but grip amazingly. Means you can hold a light grip and not fear for your life.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My Ground Effects High Fives have been getting a belting for the last 18 months...very happy with them. Cool, comfy and very durable.

Fox Dirtpaws and Pawtectors have also been good but the trimmings and closures all started to come apart quite early on.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like i have a lot of new brands to try. I think i was just looking in the wrong shops.

A little concerning that mechanix gloves are designed to give freedom of motion to your trigger finger...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ergons over recent years but

now the Specialized Grail groves everytime- they are a little too XC IMO but will come out in a trail model

teK--

Eats Squid
Answer Fall Line DH I had 2 pairs on rotation they were bomb proof and very thin but wasn't a mesh back so it can get a bit warm. Protected very well against abrasions.

After I smashed knuckles a few times I went to Dakine Sentinel with the D30 knuckles and palms. These gloves are cooler as it has parts of back in mesh which I thought would be less durable but they've held up to heaps of crashes and weekly washing machine no problem for several months.