Going to the beach this summer? Read on.......

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Unfortunately it's often difficult for people to appreciate the sheer might of the ocean without experiencing it first hand and then it can be too late
Or the might of a pompous coastal yuppie that's just hauled your dog out of a rip....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Old man and I would often do an all nighter. Drive into Noosa National Park and walk a few km to Hell's Gates. The park was closed from Sunset to Dawn. We would always take a bottle of rum and a thermos of tea. Always had some tea left over. Crazy I agree. I loved it but haven't been rock fishing since he died in '88.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I enjoy a good session of rock fishing. I'm fairly cautious about it and have still had a few close calls. Some of the people you see having a crack are total jerrys, accidents waiting to happen. As.mentioned by @Dales Cannon a lot of effort can go into getting to your favourite rock ledge. It takes a lot of discipline to just turn around and go home if it doesn't feel right. There's a large wharf near my place that is a really popular spot, I've been surprised how many of the people fishing there are wearing life jackets these days.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Watched four people get rescued in 10 minutes today within 50 metres of the flags at Coolum. Fairly tame conditions but low tide around the change and a rip sucked out a 50yo guy and then three younger people.

Just a lot of troops around that only come to the coast once a year and don’t understand the conditions and risks. Our open beaches transition so quickly between rips that it’s easy for the less experienced to guess wrong.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Not sure how true this is but I recall hearing that when they autopsy these sorts of drowning victims a high percentage actually die of heart attacks. Panicking in a rip and being unfit results in these people maxing their systems out.