Good Beginner BMX Bike?

Rgrif9

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys,

I finally caved in to my BMX friends and have decided to buy a BMX bike for riding with them at the skate park and around the streets. Maybe DJs if we bother to dig some in the future, but I'm not sure whether they'd want to. Anyway, my friend recommended me to purchase an Academy Aspire to start out (I've ridden bmx before and I enjoy it but don't own one). This is the bike, at a local store http://valebmx.com/product/2013-academy-aspire-complete-bike-orange/in/academy-bmx

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this bike and also if there are better bikes I could find for a similar price point at walk-in stores on the gold coast. I'll also probably buy the 2013 model because as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with it, and I'd rather only pay $400, but if the newer one is a "must-get" over the 2013 for some reason I don't object to paying the extra 50. I'll be riding this bike around the streets of Gold Coast and maybe Brisbane depending on whether I'm up there with it and also at local skate parks. Also, is there any gear I need before I ride? I have a helmet, gloves and shoes, and some old knee, elbow and wrist guards that I probably won't ever wear.

Thanks,

Robert

EDIT: I think the frame and forks are full chomoly. It has a 20.4" tt.

Additional info: I'm 5'11", only 16 though and I'm still getting taller. According to doctors when I was 5 they thought I'd be at least 6'1" and probably 6'3". Don't know how much I trust that, but that's what I was told.

I'd like the bike to last a few years or so because I'm not planning on working a whole lot through year 12 and uni.

Please comment if I need to add more info.

Last edited:

Chippy255

Cannon Fodder
Hey man :)

As for the bike i cant say iv had experience with the brand but as an ex bike mechanic i worked on hoffmans,haros,cults,sundays,fits,fly and so forth on the regular and if you want a good quality buy in id go for a cult or fly something with a set of 3 piece cranks, 25t sprocket to a 9 rear cassette and maybe ad long as you can go with a 20" top tube into the 21.25 maybe most of them now have removable brakes and posts so thats no drama and some wider bars im the same height as you and iv got a cult chase hawk sig and i wouldnt look back.

Only thing is the more quality you want the more you will pay but sometimes you can get a runout sale.

Happy shopping chief!!