Good beginner hardtail DH bike

I have just over $1000 goes up monthly. I just want a bike that will take a beating down hill and I can ride to school on.

thanks

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
really if it was me i would save up enough for a dualie
and just look for a bike on the side of the road or something to ride to school

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah get a cheap bike to ride to school if you're likely to worry about it all day or live in a particularly crime prone area.

I would certainly consider a Norco thoguh for the DH rig, and if you can save a bit more you might be able to find a decent 2nd hand dually as well.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because hardtails for dh suck balls !
As he has said in the title of the thread he's a beginner to downhill, a hardtail would be the way to go. I'm not going to go on about the skills it develops, etc, it has been posted over and over again on here. But it also saves him money, and if decides DH isn't for him, he hasn't blown a hell of a lot more cash on a dual sus bike. kthx?

Blythy

Likes Dirt
I still say you should have searched the forums first...So use the search button...there are billions of posts on dh hardtail bikes :D

driftking

Wheel size expert
As he has said in the title of the thread he's a beginner to downhill, a hardtail would be the way to go. I'm not going to go on about the skills it develops, etc, it has been posted over and over again on here. But it also saves him money, and if decides DH isn't for him, he hasn't blown a hell of a lot more cash on a dual sus bike. kthx?
yeah i have a dually atm but have been contemplating if i got money to get a cheap hartail to ride some dh on just to go back to basics and see if it can help improve me on the dh bike.
plus using a dh bike to do normal crusing around isnt the most enjoyable thing haha.

hardtails are alwasy a good place to start unfortunatly i never started dh on one.

I still say you should have searched the forums first...So use the search button...there are billions of posts on dh hardtail bikes :D
the search function still doesnt work for me, is this for everyone or whats the deal? is there maybe something i can do to fix this, its a bit frustrating searching pages of forums for something i know is there but cannot search for.

As for the thread agree with most other people find a crappy bike for school and keep your decent hardtail for your other riding.
I dont think it does any harm people making suggestions to get a dually but id deffinatly stick with a hardtail for your price range and the fact your starting out.

p.s that link to the "Norco Rampage Ultimate DH Hardtail" good option for sure.

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went from riding a duallie to now riding a HT.

Best decision of my life. Hardtail pride my friend!

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
ye i spoke to a mate at the downhill track the other day he told me to get a hardtail because im starting to ride =D but yeh i think ima go norco =] goodluck with ur choice