Good Brakes

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
hi guys

im looking at getting into trials
i currently have a dj bike with rigids and im looking at getting some brakes for it to give it a try before i go out and spend big bucks on a trials bike. so what is a good set of brakes to get????

cheers in advance

shakes

Likes Dirt
How much do you want to spend really?

A set of deore V calipers with XTR levers some nice pads and a grind on the rim will see you out of it slightly cheaply.

Just run what you brung, maybe spend some money on pads. By the time you spend a couple of hunj on brakes your 1/4 of the way towards a complete bike...

Lilley

Likes Dirt
As shakes says some half decent vees with good cables and good pad are a great way to go. Mid range Avids have served me well in the past.

If your frame is disc only then some Avid BB7 cable disc brakes with 180mm rotors can work very well. Once again set up and cable are key but they have been quite a popular trials brake in the past.

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
Ok thanks guys

Price isn't really a worry my frame has disc mounts only :(

What is better about a cable disc then a hydrolic disc??? ( I just thought that hydrolic would be a lot better)
And also what is a good size rotor to run???

Lilley

Likes Dirt
The number 1 choice of disc brakes for trials is the Hope Mono Trial or Tech Trial. Other hydraulic brakes can also work well. Shimano Saints have a lot of power and the Echo disc brakes that come on their complete bikes are quite good, especially with some new rotors.

180mm rotors are the way to go for a 26" wheel. You won't get the hold of a rim brake on the rear but for now it will be okay.

However as Shakes suggested you want to be careful about laying out big bucks on brakes for a bike that isn't a trials bike. A brand new Echo is only $1200 complete with brakes. Top line brakes can cost $400 - $600.

Is there a trials bike you have your eye on for the future? If you are buying good brakes now you might want to consider compatibility with the type of bike you are looking at in the future.

In regards to cable brakes there have been a lot of rubbish ones over the years but something like the Avids work well. The main advantaged over a hydro is the simplicity and price for a brake that can still be made to perform very well.

Otherwise maybe go an Avid Elixr with Organic pads, they work well for street trial, are hydraulic and you can put them on your mountain bike once you get a proper trials bike.

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
agreeing with what you guys said about brakes being able to go onto your trials bike, if you wnat to spend a bit more look at getting some magura hydrolic rim brakes which are as powerful as hell! and they will most likely fit onto your new trials bike