Good Lock on Grips

gorillasalid

Cannon Fodder
Any one know of a good brand of Lock on grips....? are the ODI ones really that good...?

I got a new pair but they dont seem to absorb the shock all too good so my hands are sore after riding. I dont want to go as chunky as Oury grips so if anyone has some recommendations on lock ons that would be great. thanks

Laters:D

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
well it all depends on what model ODI grips you got.

I had some of the ODI exteme ones, they locked on well but i also thought they were too thin (grippy though) and didnt shock up much of the little bumps
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_24&products_id=549

But the ODI rouges ive got now are a much much thicker grip and are pretty much what im looking for in a grip. I would say they are about as thick as the old slide on OURY grips i had.
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_24&products_id=60

maybe go to a bike shop and have a look, try the grips your mates have??

Jimass

Eats Squid
ODI ruffians, the green ones i have now have lasted me for ages compared to the standard black ones..
ODI rogues.
ODI peatys (Im not sure if they're ODI's) They are probably the best feeling grip i have ever felt.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question(s):
a) I heard a mention to replacing the rubber on ODI's rather than buying a whole new set, is this true?
b) Can I change my Rogue's into Ruffians?

Tye

Likes Dirt
Pretty much all lizard skin grips are great. And yes the green ruffians seem to last a lot longer.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lizard skins peaty's are also a fantastic grip, somewhere in between a rouge and a ruffian.

they are also made by the same manufacturer as ODI, so they are of the same quality.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I found my oury's were great, except too thick. After a bumpy ride my outer fingers that held onto the bars were sore from holding on. New grips on the boot'r are thinner and much better, but can't comment properly yet.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Green ruffians are going pretty awesome so far, great grip and haven't seemed to have worn out too much after a few months of use.

colesy123

Squid
Yeh id def say the ODI Rogues - had a pair of lizard skins that lasted for ages but were a little thin. Take a look at the OURY lock ons too there are a couple of different types.

Dont be tempted to buy the cheaper jet black ones. Yeh they are cheap at $25/$20 depending where you look - and they do lock well, but grip compound is average and they wear very quickly.

savtraxx

Banned
jetblack grips are great , so are sunline ones

the ruffians dont last long.

its like a tire , the jetblacks sunlines and oury's have huge lugs , the ruffians have tiny ones.

you do the math.

colesy123

Squid
jetblack grips are great , so are sunline ones

the ruffians dont last long.

its like a tire , the jetblacks sunlines and oury's have huge lugs , the ruffians have tiny ones.

you do the math.
Nah its more than that mate - comes down to compound of the rubber and density as well. Generally speaking thicker grips will last longer but then again as mentioned grips if too thick can be an issue.

In my own experience the cheaper jet blacks wear down and flat spot really quickly...

If you still cant decide grab a couple of pairs at your LBS and get them to fit the different grips to your bike - it'll take you 20 mins but is worth the hastle.

racebmx

Likes Dirt
I currently run S&M odi lockons and they are great. I cant wait till the blackmarket lock ons are available I will be putting a set on each of my bikes.

DW-1

Dirt Works
just to muddy the waters some more...

ODI also make grips for many other brands. (Lizard Skins for one)

Race Face - www.raceface.com/components/grips/grips/ - offer two models. The Sniper (thinner) and the Strafe (thicker).

Answer - also offer two models in their Fall Line range. The XC - www.answerproducts.com/components/fall-line-xc/ and the DH - www.answerproducts.com/components/fall-line-dh/

then there is the previously mentioned Oury lock-ons. While not quite as soft as the original Oury, they are still chunkier and softer than most others out there. (also now in red, blue, green and white)

And for the fashion victims out there, the new ODI Troy Lee Designs grip is now available - www.odigrips.com/oditroyleedesignssignatureserieslock-onmountainbikegrips.aspx

The best bet, as mentioned above, is to head on down to your LBS and grab a-hold of a few different models.

Elvis.

Last edited:

gorillasalid

Cannon Fodder
I have the Jet black grips on my bike at the moment and they really hurt my hands if i ride for a coupld of hours over some more technical terrain ( Bumpy shit ). So my question is, are the ODI's much thicker than the Jet Black ones...?

Im not sure if the plastic bit below the grip might be the cause, because these grips feel like they are rock hard in comparison to the traditional grips you would slide on.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tried Ruffians and didn't like them, so I switched to standard Oury's.
Recently I've gone back to lock ons and quite like the Sunline Big S grips, not as thick as Oury but more cush than something like the Ruffian.

I've also got a set of the brown Odi XTrainer grips (brown ones) which feel quite good but they're on my BMX so not really tested long distance mtb type riding wise. They feel thing but a little cushy, the verdict is still out really, but they seem to feel nicer than the Sunline Twisted Waffle grips I tried for a bit.

I'd buy the BigS again, although I haven't crash tested them yet.

These are the XTrainers, possibly a bit thin for my liking but could grown on me perhaps...