Good multi tool with 11 speed chain breaker?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
G'day guys. I'm looking to buy a new multi tool as I lost my old Topeak one and now with my Sight being 1 x 11 it needs a 11 speed chain breaker.
Anyone with any options?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day guys. I'm looking to buy a new multi tool as I lost my old Topeak one and now with my Sight being 1 x 11 it needs a 11 speed chain breaker.
Anyone with any options?
Look at the hardware shop with the left handed screwdrivers and striped paint brushes.
Pin size hasn't changed to 11s, so you can use any chain breaker. Two caveats on that, one is that you know how to use a chain breaker in the first place (1x is very sensitive to stiff links, so getting the pin tension right in the first place is important). Second is that some chain breakers will be more suited to the narrow chain than others. I have no idea which as I use a quick link (sram powerlink etc) on the trail for repairs, so I only use the chain tool to remove the broken link

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any chain breaker should do the job. I've had a Lezyne Rap 20 for ages which has been great, worked on 11 spd chain. Have an Alien II waiting for me at home only because I want a 10mm Allen Key in my kit!

stirk

Burner
The chain breaker on my multi tool is not so good so I carry a park tool mini brute. It's actually very small and does a good job.

Park-Tools-Chain-Brute-Chain-Tool-Workshop-Tools-Silver-QKCT5-0.jpg

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The chain breaker on my multi tool is not so good so I carry a park tool mini brute. It's actually very small and does a good job.

View attachment 324109
That's my workshop tool since my other one broke, and I use the one on my Lezyne or Crank Brothers on the trail (as I mentioned, only to remove a broken link)
Al..

stirk

Burner
That's my workshop tool since my other one broke, and I use the one on my Lezyne or Crank Brothers on the trail (as I mentioned, only to remove a broken link)
Al..
Quick link is the ONLY way to join a chain. :thumb:

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Those Park chain tools plus a few appropriate loose Allen keys are often lighter than a multitool, and much better to use

Stredda

Pin size hasn't changed to 11s, so you can use any chain breaker.
Ah good to know, wasn't sure. I only use the breaker to remove the pin as well. I like the KMC reusable links.
Well I just have to decide on what tool to get then.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah good to know, wasn't sure. I only use the breaker to remove the pin as well. I like the KMC reusable links.
Unless you've worked this out already - an 11spd KMC link will not fit a SRAM 11spd MTB chain. Apart from their own 11spd chains, I'm not sure which other chains the KMC links fit.

MARKL

Eats Squid

View attachment 324109
This is the tool to have.This and a separate multitool is the way to go the performance is much better. Basically chain breakers don't fit well on multitools and are a compromise. The thing you are most likely to break on your multitool is the chain breaker and then you will need to replace the whole tool. As stated above it basically like have a workshop quality tool in your backpack.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pin size hasn't changed to 11s, so you can use any chain breaker.
It has actually, it's about halfa mil shorter than 10-sp. That said, a 10-sp. compatible chain tool will work for 11-sp. Some cheaper tools have thicker & wider-spaced chain cradle, so don't suit anything narrower than 9-sp, so watch out for them.

Stredda

Unless you've worked this out already - an 11spd KMC link will not fit a SRAM 11spd MTB chain. Apart from their own 11spd chains, I'm not sure which other chains the KMC links fit.
Didn't know that, I've always used KMC links on both SRAM and Shimano 10 speed chains without and issue. And according to the KMC site their 11 speed links are compatible with Shimano, Campagnolo & SRAM 11-speed chains.
I like the KMC links as they are easier to undo without a tool compared to the SRAM ones.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Collected 3 Crank Bros 19 tools over the years, actually reckon one is a CB m17 (only a small star head and t10 torx difference)

I have used the chain breaker on these tools as a workshop tool for every chain since I ran 9sp, through 10spd and now breaking 11spd.

I'm not a CB's fan in any other product they make and these do get a bit of surface staining after a while, but as tools have been awesome.

Attachments

Last edited: