Good places for riding in canberra?

Just a quick heads up from the Majura trail builders. Most of Majura is back in action, and is open for riding. There are a few trails that are still closed - the XC trails on the eastern side of Majura, and the recently build eastern trail on Winery Hill (the hill near the vineyard). The reason for keeping these trails closed is that there is still a huge amount of water and mud in those parts of the forest, plus some fallen trees that are yet to be cleared. Hopefully these last few trails will be reopened in the near future (provided we do not get any more horrible weather).

It is good to hear votes for the Majura as a good place to ride in Canberra :) There will be more new trails to come over the next year, with some exciting descending and climbing trails planned.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
It is good to hear votes for the Majura as a good place to ride in Canberra :) There will be more new trails to come over the next year, with some exciting descending and climbing trails planned.
nice one! Another (technical perhaps?) descent trail would round off the place nicely.

Aim to lend a hand one day too!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
We just relocated to Canberra from inner Sydney.

I can ride to the top of Stromlo from my front door in 40 minutes; in Sydney I'd still be on the M5 or the Spit Bridge heading to Wylde or Manly.

I've gone from riding once or twice a month, to once or twice a week.

Stoked, really.

wow thank you everyone for all the replies they were very helpful.
Not going to lie i forgot i made this post and so it was a nice surprise to see all the replies :eek:hwell:
i've been riding o'connor ridge lately and some parts of mt majura, they have been so much fun and the perfect spots for someone to get back into riding
thank you for all your help

Markus Hjärtstam

Cannon Fodder
wow thank you everyone for all the replies they were very helpful.
Not going to lie i forgot i made this post and so it was a nice surprise to see all the replies :eek:hwell:
i've been riding o'connor ridge lately and some parts of mt majura, they have been so much fun and the perfect spots for someone to get back into riding
thank you for all your help
Sorry for the Hi-jack but cant get an answer from the Majura facebook page

Swedish guy going to spend a couple of weeks in Sydney working in february, Started to look into where to do some riding and found Majura. A three to five hour trip from Sydney depending on train or car. Is that correct? Thinking of spending a weekend(18-19th) on the trails. Accommodation tips? Contact person/guide/happy rider would be great to get in contact with. Worth the trip from Sydney?

Very glad for any replies, I am gonna be a looong way from home....:fear:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Swedish guy going to spend a couple of weeks in Sydney working in february, Started to look into where to do some riding and found Majura. A three to five hour trip from Sydney depending on train or car. Is that correct? Thinking of spending a weekend(18-19th) on the trails. Accommodation tips? Contact person/guide/happy rider would be great to get in contact with. Worth the trip from Sydney?

Refer to travel section of the forum...

I would suggest you'll find plenty of fun riding closer to sydney, without the need to go anywhere near our nation's capital or excitement.

Also note - travelling around Australia without a car or airoplane is really difficult (i don't have a license, so speaking from experience).

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I would say a weekend in Canberra dedicated to riding would be easier for an unfamiliar visitor.

Places like Stromlo and Kowen and Majura have clearly defined trail heads, and are well signposted.

Trying to battle Sydney traffic, esp on a Saturday and work out how to find your way around Manly Dam, Bantry Bay, OMV etc wouldn't be as easy without a guide. Wylde is easy, but probably not very special for an out of towner looking to sample Aussie mtb.

I say catch the bus down Friday afternoon, or fly, rent a bike in CBR and spend a solid weekend riding, head back Sunday night.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Refer to travel section of the forum...

I would suggest you'll find plenty of fun riding closer to sydney, without the need to go anywhere near our nation's capital or excitement.

Also note - travelling around Australia without a car or airoplane is really difficult (i don't have a license, so speaking from experience).
This.

TBH, without a car going to Canberra FTL. Better off getting the train to Leumeah station & riding Kentlyn.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Of course taking the step of leaving Sydney for the weekend, opens up a lot more possibilities than just Canberra if not budget sensitive. Flying out and back for the weekend could open up Tasmania potentially as well.

Markus, take a look at some of the videos the boys at Flow have made:

http://flowmountainbike.com/category/features-all/must-rides-features-all/page/2/

They've covered trails all over the place, so that might give you a flavour of what's available.

But obviously a weekend isn't a long time, so you'll need to be organised wherever you go.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Hire a car and drive down? You could camp at Cotter reserve Fri night, ride Stromlo Sat morn, Kowen/Sparrow Sat arv, back to cotter to camp, then ride Majura on the way home Sun.
I'm sure there would be a Canberra riders facebook page, CORC maybe? and people would be happy to play tour guide.
Stromlo and Kowen/Sparrow don't need a guide to be honest. Even Majura you kind of just go up and then come back down on whatever track takes your fancy.

Hilst

Cannon Fodder

Hi Markus,

Yes it's about 2.5 - 3 hours if driving from Sydney to Canberra. Heaps of riding to fill a weekend down here, not just Majura. As others have mentioned Mt Stromlo and Kowen forest are both well worth checking out too. I'd be happy to show you around if you end up making the trip down. Send me a PM if you'd like some more details.

Cheers,

Matt