good video editing software

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i use Ulead video studio 6 and have made 3 vids using that, its a good begginer program, but i have the urge to do more 'exciting' stuff with my videos, can anyone recommend a video program thats easy to use (ie not Adobe) and supports *.mpg and *.avi exports.

hopefully it has slo-mo capability, picture in picture support and comes with some decent codecs.

thx fellas.

oh yeh not too expensive either.

Ty

Eats Squid
for home use up to a prosumer grade production you can't go past Premiere, it's simple enough to get quick results but it's advanced enough to be able to re-create some professional looking videos.

as far as price goes i'd say it's quite resaonable, about $350-500 if you get the edcuation deal (just show your student card if you have one) and about $900-1100 if you buy it normaly, this is pretty cheap compared to the lowest AViD package which is about $1500

to really improve the quality of your videos though you really need a good capture card, even better if it has a brakeout box with RCA i/o

hope this helps.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
$350.....thats alright for an adobe product (non pirate of course) might look into that

i use a 1EEE1394 capture card (or something like that) and a canon mv30i digi cam and so can reproduce the same quality no probs.

any other suggestions?

Ty

Eats Squid
if you need to do something really fast, like under a hour for a 5 minute clip, i-movie (for mac) or Pinnacle studio is handy.

also try watching your firewire capture uncompressed/unencoded and you'd be suprissed at the quality when it's blown up on a 68cm TV.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I use Premiere for most projects because it has the best range of tools and doesn't lose quality as much as most programs when you recompile. Another program worth a look for simple editing that yields excellent results is Movie Maker which comes as part of Windows XP. It lets you trim, cut and splice very quickly and easily and publishes in DV-AVI format which maintains excellent quality. To capture use either Premiere or Scenelyzer (a freeware? program). And TMPGEnc is another handy freeware (?) program for converting .avi to MPEG 1 or 2 in VCD, SVCD or DVD ready formats.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Ty said:
for home use up to a prosumer grade production you can't go past Premiere, it's simple enough to get quick results but it's advanced enough to be able to re-create some professional looking videos.

as far as price goes i'd say it's quite resaonable, about $350-500 if you get the edcuation deal (just show your student card if you have one) and about $900-1100 if you buy it normaly, this is pretty cheap compared to the lowest AViD package which is about $1500

to really improve the quality of your videos though you really need a good capture card, even better if it has a brakeout box with RCA i/o

hope this helps.
sry to hijack the post but whats a good capture card to get?
i use pinnacle studio and ive made some movies with that but its only the trial. im looking into getting a capture card so i can use premiere but i dont know which one to get ne ideas?

Likes Bikes
i use premire 6.5 and pinnacle studio 8 for sum stuff but premiere is the best of the two