Good Wheel Builders

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hi Guys,
Looking for some recommendations for custom wheel builders here in Australia. Is there anyone who builds for a living and not part of a shop? I've used Wheelworks in NZ in the past, but their prices have gone way up and want to look at something local.

Advice appreciated

Bear

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Mark at Vanilla Cycles in Sydney is a good builder. Used to be the workshop manager at TWE before doing his own thing.

Also, The Duckmeister on here builds a good wheel in his spare time.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Mark at Vanilla Cycles in Sydney is a good builder. Used to be the workshop manager at TWE before doing his own thing.

Also, The Duckmeister on here builds a good wheel in his spare time.
Huh? I thought Mark was at tbsm? Anyway Mark is very good.

Greg at TWE does wheels full time. I'm probably the heaviest regular rider on RB and his wheels have always been faultless for me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got some wheels built by dan at shifter bikes. Has been touted a master craftsman. Mostly builds high end road and cx wheels. Has a tiny bike boutique in south yarra. I am sure his wheels will be bombproof

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I've used http://www.ascentcyclingenterprises.com/ for a heap of builds and always been very happy
Def Ascent Cycling Enterprises. Michael is on here also I think. I have been hammering a set of his wheels on my dually and now my AM hardtail for years. And the other wheels he has built I haven't had to touch. Somehow unlike others I've had they seem to keep even tension and dead true. I've always had alloy rims built up on hubs I already had and also a set on hubs he provided. Great service.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Define "local" on smaller than a continental scale. :)
Eastern seaboard?
Nah, I'm happy if it's within Australia and not deal with customs and excess postage.

A general comment looking at the recommendations so far, the websites are very vague as to what people have access to for building (rims, hubs, and spokes).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
This is possibly borderline on the forum's advertising rules, but here goes anyway. :p

I'm in Melbourne....

Boom King chucked my name into the mix up the page a bit.... By day I'm a pro bike tech, but I do side work building wheels for a bit more pocket money. I prefer to keep my side work totally separate from my professional work, so I can't get any super deals on components (even if I did source stuff through work it wouldn't work out any cheaper), so I generally work on a you buy the bits (well rims & hubs), I build them basis. I prefer to get the spokes myself after measureing the rims & hubs to determine what's required, but will discuss spoke options with my potential client.

By doing it this way, you get the ultimate custom build because you choose the bits to your spec, and you get the best value for that spec because you get the bits at the same price I would. :)

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Def Ascent Cycling Enterprises. Michael is on here also I think. I have been hammering a set of his wheels on my dually and now my AM hardtail for years. And the other wheels he has built I haven't had to touch. Somehow unlike others I've had they seem to keep even tension and dead true. I've always had alloy rims built up on hubs I already had and also a set on hubs he provided. Great service.
Add me into the Michael mix. Nextie rims with pro 4 hubs set up tubeless and super stiff. At 110kg and never had a problem

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A general comment looking at the recommendations so far, the websites are very vague as to what people have access to for building (rims, hubs, and spokes).
Greg at Twe will build whatever you take him, but insists on Dt spokes and nipples.

Otherwise he has his own alu and carbon rims from Taiwan and uses Novatec hubs I think. I always take my own hubs but his rims have been great.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wish this thread was around a month ago before I took my rims to and hubs to be LBS. Pretty sure nothings been done to them yet. Might investigate this week and just tell them to shove it and contact any other person on here