Goodbye my beloved acl. Hello surgery. Advice.

moman

Likes Dirt
Ok. So am feeling down at the moment at the prospect of 9 months off the full squish mountain bike after my upcoming acl resconstruction. Goodbye summer of bike love.

Burners how have you guys coped with similar injuries? Did you buy Lycra and embrace your inner roadie?

Did anything, physically and mentally, help you get through rehab and back doing stupid shit on your bike?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Had a torn meniscus and surgery a few months later to remove the shredded bits. It's shit, I won't lie, but you learn to deal with it.

Play on it if you're not the master of your own finances, I put on the puppy dog eyes and got some new toys to occupy myself while off the road and living on the couch.

And a trainer was super valuable as a recovery aid for me. Not sure what's involved with an acl, but flicking on a few mtb videos and spinning those cranks around helped me get my strength back nicely.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's got to be tough going. I've had 5 months off the bike twice due to two different injuries in an 18 month period of time and I thought I was cursed.
At first I was watching all my mates on Strava and gnashing my teeth. Then you just come to terms with the fact you're not going to be riding.

My tip?
Learn something with your spare time - Coursera is worth looking at.
Have an inside hobby / interest.

Take it easy on recovery and listen to your physiotherapist & your body.

The months pass eventually. If you ruin the remedial work by rushing your return you'll pay for it for longer.

And nine months is a long time in MTB. Just count all the new standards! :^)

Last edited:

mxh

Likes Dirt
I had my ACL done about 15 years ago. Best bit of advice I was given was to do as much leg work as possible to build the muscle before the operation. It's amazing how much you lose afterwards, so building a bit beforehand certainly helps.

Wasn't so big into mountain biking back then so can't remember how long it was before I could ride, but I was snowboarding 4 months after the operation - admittedly it wasn't 100% by then, but wore a knee brace and it didn't cause me any issues. And was back playing squash after 6 months - again with a knee brace to start with but that went soon after.

I do remember though that I worked really hard at the rehab - religiously did the prescribed workouts every day. Plus a lot of time on the rower, workouts for the rest of the body etc. Don't think I've ever been as fit as I was a year or so after the operation :)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Unfortunately for me, I'm made of glass and have had a few "serious" mishaps and reconstructive surgeries throughout the years.
One piece of advice I can offer is to wait for your body to heal before pushing it too much.

Very few of us are full time professional athletes, where our bodies are manicured on a daily basis while recovering from surgery or injury. I see stories of XYZ footie player that came back to full contact training after 4 months post ACL surgery..... all well and good if you've full time medical staff and physio staff tending to you 6 hours a day.

Take your time, do ALL your physio and build back up slowly.

Try and find something to keep your mind occupied. With your acl, once you start to get some mobility back , you will still be allowed to do gym work. Get on a hand bike, get in the pool, get a stretch and flex program going.... anything that will help your body and mind (and maintain fitness) in the long run. Don't go nuts on the grog and pizza either......

FYI, I've had an ACL tear and knee reco, fracture femur, meniscus tear and clean out, prolapsed L4/L5 disc in my back and a full rotator cuff tear and shoulder reco in the last 15 years. I've learned through my own mistakes not to rush things...... Shit happens..... but at least your not dead and will be able to ride your bike again.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
go nuts on the grog and pizza ......
Sage advice

FYI, I've had an ACL tear and knee reco, fracture femur, meniscus tear and clean out, prolapsed L4/L5 disc in my back and a full rotator cuff tear and shoulder reco in the last 15 years. I've learned through my own mistakes not to rush things...... Shit happens..... but at least your not dead and will be able to ride your bike again.
Holy shit, good to hear someone making use of their private health care !

moman

Likes Dirt
Some great advice in there. Thanks peeps.

The hardest thing for me is going to be to find another outlet as rides are one the best 'mental health' breaks I have. That's the most daunting thing at the moment.

I'll probably try to embrace my inner roadie or maybe fire up on protein shakes and become a gym junkie. Hahaha.

I really want to hold on to my bike but it's true, think of all the new standards in 9 months time. My bike will be so obsolete. ;)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ok. So am feeling down at the moment at the prospect of 9 months off the full squish mountain bike after my upcoming acl resconstruction. Goodbye summer of bike love.

Burners how have you guys coped with similar injuries? Did you buy Lycra and embrace your inner roadie?

Did anything, physically and mentally, help you get through rehab and back doing stupid shit on your bike?
Yes, it's a wonder any of our bikes manage to remain backwards-compatible with dirt. :whistle:

Do a Matthew Hayman. Broke his wrist 6 weeks before Paris-Roubaix. Hooked his training bike up to Zwift during his rehab, and ended up winning Paris-Roubaix.

maybe go more gently as it's your knee :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...c/news-story/b1676ccf4ba70d066b28860deaa08f46

Last edited:

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Righto, here's my perspective...

Hey fella.

First of all, sorry to hear that you're in this position. I'm not gonna sugar coat it, you're not going to have much fun, but it will always get better.

I'll echo what our riding comrades have said and i'll add my perspective from the point of view of a three time ACL reconstructed individual. One that has just left the surgeon's rooms post 4 month review.

Right, first of all. Do you know who your surgeon is? How many opinions have you had? It may be too late for this, but if you've only seen one person, and there's time, see another. Yes, this type of surgery is performed all the time, but as they say, oils ain't oils.... If you're locked in, that's fine, go with it.

So, immediately post-surgery you're probably gonna feel pretty good, but as the days go on the inflammation increases, stiffness sets in and you won't shit for days... thanks to the pain killers and the drugs your friendly anaesthetist will give you. Get some prune juice into ya, just don't use any bulking agents, such as Psyllium, they'll only slow things down. Best thing you can do to get through this stage is really focus on something, usually in this early stage it will be getting your leg straight again, it sounds trivial, but it's really important. Secondly, ice, ice and MORE ICE!!! Get a routine going, every moment possible, ice that knee and keep it elevated, trust me it will be worth it.

Get out of the house as much as possible. You'll be surprised by how much you can get about, but don't push it too much. That little bit of fresh air each day will do wonders for your body, and your mind.

As time progresses keep your focus on your rehab exercises and reducing swelling, whilst increasing mobility. Every little gain will feel amazing, but be prepared for little set backs. They happen, it's fine, just don't dwell on them.

The more mobile you get the more you will long for the things you can't do. I sold my mountain bike. It was a sense of strike while the iron is hot, and when i could get the most cash for it. I already had a road bike. I'd suggest getting a cheap roadie or hardtail, you might even be able to pedal around the block after about 4 weeks, but it may be closer to 8, everyone is different.

Keep your head involved with bikes, you'll be surprised that it won't be long till you're back on one, even if in the short term it is only at the gym. Believe me though, even that can feel amazing!!

Biking is my outlet too, and i've very much missed it. Focus on small goals on the stationery bike, and then as you progress on the road/hardtail. Those small goals will keep your head feeling good, soon those small goals will become big goals and so on...

Ultimately the recovery is more of a mental journey than a physical one. The healing/graft side of it has it's on pace, and it can't be sped up, don't forget that. Do anything you can to stay engaged with your rehab program. Find a good SPORTS physio, shop around, stick with one you're happy with. They can keep it fresh, but they're also a great outlet to voice your concerns and frustrations, believe me, they get it.

To sum it up. Everyone is different, we all heal different and no two surgeries are the same. Listen to your body, listen to your mind, and you'll get through it!!

Just in case you're wondering, THREE ACL reconstructions... yep, three.... I had a bad initial injury that was poorly treated and basically set the wheels in motion of 15+ years of surgery and rehab. I've seen a lot in that time in regards to surgical approaches, research and rehab, I also work in the surgical field myself, so I feel pretty confident in offering my perspective. But, it is only that, my perspective.

Anyway, i've rambled enough. Hopefully you can pull something useful out of that. Always happy to chat/shoot the shit if need.

Cheers, Grant.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Google Dr Keith Holt, he is regarded as the top dog on knee reconstruction and has lots of useful information on his website regarding all things knee and some rehab plans.

Try and join a gym asap and build up your quads as much as possible to prevent wastage. In addition it will help to consult a Physio before going under to start work on activation drills to get your VM muscle (again google, it's the muscle on the inside of your leg that attaches to your knee) firing properly as this will make recovery easier and more pleasant.

If you don't want to buy a roadie buy a stationary trainer.

Best of luck.