Google Chrome

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh

My

God

I freaking love this browser so god damn much it's not even funny. It makes Firefox and everything else I've ever used look so boring and slow it's not even funny. I used to use the BETA a while back, but it had a shitload of bugs then so I ditched it. Last couple of weeks I've been running this and it is so awesome it's not even funny. It's way faster, easier/better to use, load time is awesome, and in the extreme rare event it crashes (happened to me once when I opened 14 tabs in a course of about 1.5 seconds) it closes itself before windows gets to it so you don't get the stupid "not responding" crap and then auto restarts itself instantly with the option to re open the tabs before! (I'll add the second time round it loaded the 14 tabs perfectly)

The extensions are AWESOME to. If you give it a try, I'd reccomend "To Many Tabs", "Turn off the lights" and "cooliris" (Cooliris is bloody awesome). Theres heaps more I've got that are awesome but I just thought I'd add 3 for ya'll to try out straight up :)

Good work Google!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Chrome is great, I've been using it since the beta started last year. I can't stand Explorer and never got used to Firefox.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably just an opportunity for Knopey to chime in and start up a Mac fanboy arguement.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Um, wut? I don't even own a Mac. I was just pointing out that you have to trust someone in this techno-age, and most of us trust a mob that is no more trustworthy than Google (arguably, much less). Sorry if that offended you :confused:

cameron94

Likes Dirt
I have been using Chrome for about 2 months? Im on mac and i love it. I find it loads faster and doesnt crash like the others used too. I have used - safari, firefox, and camino. They are all good for internet, which is what they are meant for but I prefer the chrome over everything else. IMO.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I went back to Firefox after using it for a few months. It crashed constantly for me and it really hated facebook. Sure it's pretty, but I didn't find it any faster or stable

Likes Dirt
I find it deals with facebook chat fine, soooooooooo much better than firefox.
But I just keep going back to firefox for the plug-ins.

Quintin

Eats Squid
i have IE6 and 8, FF, Chrome and Safari for PC. so far Safari is my favorite for useability because it has a feature where you can flip through your history as images and set your top sites to be image icons of the actual website. makes it so much easier for a visual person like me. but its only as stable as IE and crashes just as often. i also like how you can drag the tabs off the browser to start another instance and the instance opens exactly where you let it go. i note that IE opens in a default location on the screen

chrome is pretty fast but thats because its ultra boring and has almost no features. if you like its speed i suggest you stop installing extensions or you will end up with another pig. the developer tools on chrome are a nice feature, pity they dont all have something like that.

however you cant ignore the sheer popularity of IE. it can never be replaced and will almost always be needed as a fallback. there are just too many sites that have been developed and only tested with it. not to mention 90% of the computers you might find yourself stuck with for a day in another office or at someone elses house will only have IE so you might as well get used to it. complaining about MS and IE isn't cool like it used to be :)

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have IE6 and 8, FF, Chrome and Safari for PC. so far Safari is my favorite for useability because it has a feature where you can flip through your history as images and set your top sites to be image icons of the actual website. makes it so much easier for a visual person like me. but its only as stable as IE and crashes just as often. i also like how you can drag the tabs off the browser to start another instance and the instance opens exactly where you let it go. i note that IE opens in a default location on the screen

chrome is pretty fast but thats because its ultra boring and has almost no features. if you like its speed i suggest you stop installing extensions or you will end up with another pig. the developer tools on chrome are a nice feature, pity they dont all have something like that.

however you cant ignore the sheer popularity of IE. it can never be replaced and will almost always be needed as a fallback. there are just too many sites that have been developed and only tested with it. not to mention 90% of the computers you might find yourself stuck with for a day in another office or at someone elses house will only have IE so you might as well get used to it. complaining about MS and IE isn't cool like it used to be :)
I haven't used internet explorer for about 5 years...

CHROME rims FTW

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Opera FTW.
QFT.

I really like Opera. Tabbed browsing isn't entirely new but the way Opera handles multiple tabs is pretty sweet. Click+Drag function is pretty handy sorting tabs or added them to your function bar. Click to close and it will save all tabs that are currently open, click the icon on down near the time on the task bar and it will pop straight back up again.

The wand function is pretty hand also, making logging onto websites a click of a button. It won't have your username/password saved in log-in areas either.

S.

ex offender
We all know the real reason everyone uses Chrome is the "incognito" mode, which prevents you from having to suspiciously delete history on shared computers ;)

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went back to Firefox after using it for a few months. It crashed constantly for me and it really hated facebook. Sure it's pretty, but I didn't find it any faster or stable
Try it again, now that it's the finished product. It's actually the only browser I've found that CAN handle facebook, I can run 5 or 6 chat windows flawless, firefox used to fucking hate it so much it's not even funny!

Dante666

Likes Dirt
We all know the real reason everyone uses Chrome is the "incognito" mode, which prevents you from having to suspiciously delete history on shared computers ;)
The same hidden mode which exists on IE and Safari?

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Using Chrome right now. Favorite features would be:

The ability to type as soon as it opens and it will search the web and history straight away.

It syncs bookmarks across my home comp and laptop.

If you haven't tried it go and try it now. you wont regret it.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
How do you install the extensions on Chrome? I click install, and it says windows cannot read the CRX file type. Do I need a program to read the CRX files?

Never mind I worked it out.

Last edited: