GoPro - worth getting one or something similar?

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about getting a GoPro (or something similar) - really just to muck around with, film some DH sessions, snow and possibly use in the surf etc etc!

I know next to bugger all about them...any recommendations on what model to get etc...or is there anything similar worth checking out?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I've been thinking about a farkin group buy as I want one too ... my theory around group buys is don't expect much of a discount but anything is a win really.

Got 15% when I did my Ayup group buy a few years ago ... had about 20 of us in that one.

let me know if any interest. (Soz for the Hijack ... but in short if you have the spare cash, why not IMO)

I'm happy to do the running around ... so I guess register your interest in here if the OP doesn't mind or I'll start another thread ... soz again for the Hijack.

udi

swiss cheese
The GoPro has the best mounts, and I think that alone is enough to make it the best option. Get the Hero 2 if you can afford it, otherwise the old Hero HD is plenty good.

The chest mount is great for DH (optional accessory but well worth it), and the waterproof casing (included as standard) will be useful if you want to use it in the surf.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been thinking about a farkin group buy as I want one too ... my theory around group buys is don't expect much of a discount but anything is a win really.

Got 15% when I did my Ayup group buy a few years ago ... had about 20 of us in that one.

let me know if any interest. (Soz for the Hijack ... but in short if you have the spare cash, why not IMO)

I'm happy to do the running around ... so I guess register your interest in here if the OP doesn't mind or I'll start another thread ... soz again for the Hijack.
No problems with the hijack! :) Just depends whether the discount (if minimal) warrants the organisation of a group buy!

I'm not even sure how much they are (yes that's how little I've looked into this! :p)

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a hero 2, definatly one of the best things I have ever bought, especially for the cost!
Chest cam is a definite must! So much good footage!

ChopSticks

Banned
Al, im pretty keen,

I too am not sure of the models, is the GoPro Hero 2 the 'go' ?

do you reckon we can get it for sub 300 ?

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Yep, Hero 2 is the current model. I have the first Hero and it is awesome, one of the best things I've ever bought for sure. Very versatile, pretty easy to use and there are endless methods of mounting etc, all comes down to how creating you are :)

strezd

Likes Bikes
Sub $250 and it would be worth it. Can get one of evilbay for $300.
I suppose it all depends though.
I am interested.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The GoPro has the best mounts, and I think that alone is enough to make it the best option. Get the Hero 2 if you can afford it, otherwise the old Hero HD is plenty good.

The chest mount is great for DH (optional accessory but well worth it), and the waterproof casing (included as standard) will be useful if you want to use it in the surf.
Cheers mate I think I'd be looking at the Hero 2 if anything!

Will start going through the web to see what $ I'd be looking at!

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Sony is about to release their own POV camera in a similar style to the Contour, so will be interesting to see what sort of image it will put out.
If you decide to get the GoPro, make sure you get the Hero 2, it has better image quality than the original Hero HD and the free ProTune firmware update is due to be released in the next month or so which will exponentially improve the quality. See the below link for comparison between the current Hero2 and after the firmware update.
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/e8/ad1b63d70aa4aec390386b67b99f27.jpg

enjoi

Likes Bikes
I use go pro's on a daily basis for work.

We have alot of people using contours and I havnt really heard good things

The gopro is just so simple, 2 buttons, awesome quality (especially on the go pro2) and an MP4 file stored on a standard SD card ready to drag and drop onto your desktop in a matter of minutes. No file conversion necessary.

The go pro 1 picture quality is good, light and dark contrasts it will struggle with.

The gopro 2 is better with this contrast but sometimes it still does pop up. What Im talking about is perhaps early morning or dusk, contrast between bush or land and sky may leave the ground looking extremely dark.

If your interested in slow motion, in iMovie, the gopro 2 has seamless slo mo, while the go pro 1 is a little choppy but still acceptable.

Awesome little camera for a relatively cheap price - my recommendation is to go and get a go pro 2 now, if your interested in documenting your activities you will definately not regret the purchase

rb baby

Likes Dirt
I use the Drift HD, love it, wrist band remote control, LCD display, can use GO-PRO mounts including chest mount.
It mounts flusher than GO-PRO, which was more appealing to me.
All up I spent $435 for a unit ($319) plus a variety of mounts inc, chest, handle bar, goggles, helmet etc...
32gig specific SD card... Happy as !
So much fun but WARNING: You may be tempted to do dumb shit !

I bought my gear through Launch Helmet Cams

http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au/?gclid=CJWZqpWIsbECFYaYpAodV1wAqw

Stewie sorted me out, nice guy and he is a forum member.

They sell all the major brands GO-PRO, Contour etc...
I went with what they recommended ;)

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just dropped by Ted's cameras in the Sydney CBD...price they told me for the Go Pro 2 was $400...then the guy said maybe $375 (good salesman hey! :p)...I think with a bit of searching I'll be able to get a much better price than that!

This emphasizes my point (from another thread) that the service in retail in this country has gone to $hit! The guy just told me that price and that 's it...didn't even try to sell it to me, thanks for the help I'll go buy it myself on the interweb!

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
I bought the outdoor hero 2 (so helmet mount etc) on sale recently and was 349. I think if you could get something similar or a bit better price wise then it may be worth a group buy.

Otherwise I think you could push a fee shops to hit something similar for a single buy. I think a few shops would do better than $375 if you shopped around.

SprocketFury

Likes Bikes
I'm interested too. I was gonna go through work to get a Hero2 motorsport edition, but I wanted to see if there was anything better on the market.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Going to get the ball rolling so if interested in a group buy PM me ... name, address and email
If your in a rush your better to go on your own, but if you can bare with me then PM ... I won't bother unless there is at least 10 of us

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting my interest on the record.
Not 100% but around the $250 ballpark and I'm most likely in. I'm going 50/50 with another bloke so it depends on him too.
Who would you be going through Nerf?

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All,

I just went into JB HiFi in the Sydney CBD and they have 15% off all cameras tonight...might be applicable to other stores so could be worth checking out!

Go Pro Hero 2 is $396 RRP...less 15% is $337! I'm going to get one at that price...too easy!

EDIT: I just went a bought it, guy at JB HiFi made a mistake and told me the GoPro's were on sale when they actually aren't, he still honored what he told me so I got it for $336! Happy days! Picked up a 16 GB SD card for it as well!

Last edited: