GoPro - worth getting one or something similar?

faz

Likes Dirt
I just dropped by Ted's cameras in the Sydney CBD...price they told me for the Go Pro 2 was $400...then the guy said maybe $375 (good salesman hey! :p)...I think with a bit of searching I'll be able to get a much better price than that!

This emphasizes my point (from another thread) that the service in retail in this country has gone to $hit! The guy just told me that price and that 's it...didn't even try to sell it to me, thanks for the help I'll go buy it myself on the interweb!
Should be able to pick one up off the shelf for $369. Some places will bundle a SD card in too. My local camera shop is doing them for $399 with a 16GB card but you can pick one up for $369 with a 16GB SanDisk SDHC card at Digital Camera Warehouse (they don't discount any of their prices). My experience has been too many places won't go below $369 as there isn't enough margin for them and they are selling quite well so there is no need to discount something they know they can sell.

Getting my interest on the record.
Not 100% but around the $250 ballpark and I'm most likely in. I'm going 50/50 with another bloke so it depends on him too.
Who would you be going through Nerf?
I think you'd be hard pressed to get one for $250 regardless of how many the group buys.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Anyone find a good price or best deal yet ?

Im definately in the market for one but want it pretty quick.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HD hero 2 for $299!!

http://www.jensonusa.com/Go-Pro/Gopro-HD-HERO2-Camera-Outdoor-Edition

Got mine of here just before Christmas placed the order on the 20st dec or something stupid. They had just been released for Christmas I think so Jensen said they were expecting stock in a months time, I was like cool for $100 saving I can wait. It rocked up at my door 3 days later on like the 23rd dec or something, very impressed.
It says at checkout they can't ship direct to any OZ address.
But that's getting there. Not a bad price at all.

Last edited:

D2R

Likes Bikes
Hero2 $299US direct from GoPro and they do ship to Aus.
Picked one up when they had the free LCD BacPac offer a while ago.
Had another mate buying as well so shipping cost wasn't an issue.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't really need one in any sort of hurry so I'm going to wait it out.
Prices like this tell me they aren't far from being discounted even further.

ozzybmx

Hmmmm...... if i buy one now and they drop price in a week or two i'll be as pissed as those who bought the hero a week before they released the hero2 :yell:

ozzybmx

Holy sh#%..... postage from gopro at $299 a camera is $84.95.

Thanks gopro !!!

ozzybmx

Not usually Nerf, theres a load of places in the US that have awesome postage costs, the UK ones are mostly free.

Its looking like the camera house is the best here then ? Teds is $400, anywhere else worth looking.

BTW, Jenson just confirmed a pricematch for coloradocyclist at $259us ($250au)..... tempted to send one to viaddress if its going to be $150 cheaper than here.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
why not give one of the three local guys a go ... I'm biased but I'm sure everybody involved would prefer somebody locally gets some coin, rather then send it overseas ... presuming $$ are ball park, they have great Customer service, and their internal policies will allow ... all the nice things you need to support any business I guess.

I know we always get reamed from the US, cost of business I guess ...

D2R

Likes Bikes
thats nice of them ... I'd love to be one of 3 distributors that represent them in AU and then get my lunch cut.

I think I've just lost my appetite.
I think that has always been GoPro's business model so any distributer should have been aware of it when they decided to ditribute the product. In the early days you always had to send any faulty units back direct to gopro anyway (at your own cost) which gave no incentive for buying local - i.e No real local warranty.

Did I buy my Hero1 locally - Yes plus a mulitude of accessories. Was the deal too good to pass up on buying direct for the Hero2 with free LCD backpack, I believe it was (with shared postage). Will I wait for the Wifi bacpac to be approved and available locally, Most likely.

With them now available not just from specialty sport camera places and now available at every second camera shop (Teds, Paxtons, Camerawarehouse, Digidirect, etc) and JB-HiFi it wouldn't be worth it for most people to buy direct from GoPro and the I want it now attitude makes it even more unlikely that people will buy direct from GoPro or from overseas when they can walk into a shop and walk away with the product.

At the end of the day It's all about choices though.

If you want to buy local why don't you hit up someone like sportscamera.com.au for a group buy price, current price on an outdoor edition is $375 (same price as direct with postage).

Last edited:

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the best price I could find right now that will ship here direct. Ebay Link
Approx $288 posted on a 3 person group buy (for the motorsports kit).