GPS Computer options

dunndog

Eats Squid
Been thinking about getting a gps tracking bike computer thingy. As may already be evident, I know nothing about them. Just thinking I'd like something to be able to get lost with and have it get me to where I need to get too. Also Mapping/recording/finding trails is a priority. I don't ride on the road, so something that will be robust enough to potentially ride some angry enduro trails with. Nor particularly interested in heart rate, cadence etc, just want the navigation and so on. so what would ye that know recommend? Is circa $250 a reasonable budget or am I kidding myself at that pricepoint? Cheers!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure about all the other options out there but I've had a Garmin Edge 800 for the last few years and I've been extremely happy with it. It's been all around the world with me, including multiple trips to Whistler and various other bike parks for DH as well as XC.
If you want maps then it seems you're instantly adding $100+ to the price. If you just want to record where you've been but not actually be guided by your GPS, an Edge 500/510 would do and be closer to your price range. There's a new Edge 520 coming out later this year that might also meet your requirements. Here's a good review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html

dunndog

Eats Squid
Thanks Matt. Can the 500 pindrop your starting point so you could work your way back to it without simply backtracking? That's really my no.1 desired function.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't used one so I'm not 100% sure. By the looks of it you can backtrack along your "bread crumb trail" back to the start or follow a predefined course that you upload from the computer (seems flaky/unreliable based on the forum threads I've read) but I can't see any reference to returning to your origin by a flag.
On the Edge 800 you can drop a flag and route direct or along trails on the fly or follow uploaded routes with "off track" notifications.

Here's the DC Rainmaker review of the Edge 500: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

And a comparison table: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=3070,3071,3073#results

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
I would recommend the gamin 810 (update of the 800). If you plan on getting lost then it is better to have a map in front of you than what the 510 can do. You are looking at about $400 or so, but for me it was well worth the upgrade from the 510 - particularly as I ride on my own a bit

Flow-Rider

Burner
You could probably pick up a second hand garmin edge 705 for that much and it should have a decent base map loaded into it. Most garmins can be temperamental from my experience.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What about the new little garmins that have just been released?
Garmin 20 and 25, they have the basic functions and look a great little unit, BUT the big disappointment is battery life, they had a great opportunity to bring out a basic GPS unit that would last 24 hours plus, these new units have specced 8 hour life. Now I don't do 24 hour races, but I certainly need a GPS that will last longer than 8.

+1 on the Garmin 810 with topo maps, had mine just over 2 years now. Wouldn't be without a unit with maps now and no intention of changing this one any time soon.

teK--

Eats Squid
Props for the 800 it has proven invaluable for exploring new trails and the battery life easily lasts a 12-14 hour ride.

All the newer ones 1000 etc are way too big for MTB imho