gps, hr data watches

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Interested in heart rate , speed ( most important ) data watches.
There are so many getting confused.

Anyone have a fave they could recommend
cheers

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a garmin fanboy...not that much just been with them a long time, watch wise I've had the FR610 and FR620, the 610 was reall good for riding,the 620 not so much. I believe the 630 may be better tahn the 620 for riding...

assuming you don't want to go for a dedicated cycling unit, maybe the XT series (or fenix) would be good (never used don't know)...

for good reviews, try looking at DCrainmaker, this guy goes into so much detail it makes your average magazine review look hopeless.

but you also have polar, sunnto and a few others to look at, it all depends on how much you wan to spend.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
I have a Forerunner 935XT (with optical HR monitor), and a Fenix 3 (non-HR). Been very happy with them both, however had to get a warranty replacement for the 935XT due to faulty waterproofing.

Things to keep in mind:
- For wrist based HR to work well you need the band pretty tight
- GPS based speed is not particularly accurate on single track, you'll need a hub or wheel based sensor for that

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things to keep in mind:
- For wrist based HR to work well you need the band pretty tight
- GPS based speed is not particularly accurate on single track, you'll need a hub or wheel based sensor for that
Definitely agree with this, if you are real serious about HR, you really need to use a chest strap, regardless of brand of wrist HR you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Definitely agree with this, if you are real serious about HR, you really need to use a chest strap, regardless of brand of wrist HR you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a garmin vivoactiv and it's good. I like the HR version but it's very bulky. The GPS seems as accurate as my phone using Strava as far as speed, elevation and distance goes. Plus it gives me all the notifications while I'm riding.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I have the Fenix 3 HR watch and really liking it.. Nice enough looking watch that I can wear it all day at work too.
The HR accuracy is questionable though when exercising, but as a rough guideline seems good enough.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
watch

Thanks everyone for replying, have narrowed it down to forerunner 235 .
tried one on today very comfortable and seems to have good performance ,comfort and value .

cheers

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I think you'll find it pretty good, I mean all of them are pretty good these days.

Only downside to a watch, is if you want to see stuff when riding, it's pretty hard and a cycling device liek an edge is way better... but with mtbing you can hardly see those anyway so it's not such an issue.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have the new Vivoactive HR, a forerunner and a Garmin bike computer, actually just replaced my 810 with an 820.

To be honest, I couldn't do without the info the Garmin bike computer gives me, maps being #1, I'd be lost without it as it's spoiled me over the years. If you don't need that info, just use your phone...

My Vivioactive was a replacement for my vivosmart as I like to track my steps and activity as a shiftworker, so that's the main reason I bought it.

If you phone battery is good, it does 90% of what any fancy GPS does.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone for replying, have narrowed it down to forerunner 235 .
tried one on today very comfortable and seems to have good performance ,comfort and value .

cheers
I hope it works for you! there have been a heap of problems with the 235 optical HR measurement. Check out the Forerunner 235 section on Garmin forums. I purchased one earlier this year and no matter what I did, The HR wouldn't function properly. It would freeze, or show very low numbers that were nowhere near reality. I sent it back and got a standard Fenix 3.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
On a side topic, does anyone use a Garmin 25 with GPX files for route directions?
Been trying to explore some new places recently and would prefer to follow some routes rather than wander around in search of trails.

I have tried Strava segment explorer but its a pain in the ring stopping, phone out, glove off, check the shitty segment explorer interface, phone in, glove on , riding.......
Strava premium allows me to download others GPX files so I'm wondering how the Edge 25 works using them?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bump!

Anyone checked out the Garmin Instinct? Looks like a nice solution - rugged and light, cut back on colour display but lots of functionality. Just the HR isn't great for MTB - but not many wrist based ones are (exception being the Apple Watch 4 - but that has other limitations).

crampy

Likes Bikes
I've been using the forerunner 235 for about three years for running. Found it very accurate for both heart rate and gps. Very comfortable to wear all day as well.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump!

Anyone checked out the Garmin Instinct? Looks like a nice solution - rugged and light, cut back on colour display but lots of functionality. Just the HR isn't great for MTB - but not many wrist based ones are (exception being the Apple Watch 4 - but that has other limitations).
I'm still loving my Fenix 3HR, chose this years back as it can pair with multiple speed and cadence sensors

Minlak

custom titis
Bump!

The instinct for the price is good and they just added new colours. I went the Fenix 5 though as better quality screen. The question is really are your price dependent. If you just want to buy something good get the Fenix 5 if you want something cheaper the instinct is good.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So, Fenix 3/5 owners: how has it held up to a stack? Thats my main reason to look at the Instinct, but I do really like the look of the Fenix.

And do you pair with a HR strap for MTB or can you get it secure enough on the wrist to get an OK reading?