Grant Allen's article in newest AMB ???

Tim

Likes Dirt
Hey Guy's

just want to know what you guy's thought of Grant Allens article in the latest AMB?? I personally thought this guy has no idea !!!. I personally ride DJ's and Skate park's reguly and get on well with the local BMX mob. I think it just seemed a little silly saying that doing DJ on your downhill rig was silly and so is riding skate park's on a MTB, basically he recons It's not MTB and you shouldent try and do things BMX'ers do because it makes us B grade BMX'ers.
I dont often DJ on my DH bike mainly because i have a jump bike, but i do every now and then because i think it's good training for DH, i acctually think doing everything on your DH bike is good for racing. I have also been known to ride it at the skate park, it's not as much fun as a HT, but it does let you get used to throwing it around. He also say's that you shouldent do things BMX is specifically built for on a MTB, Again thats silly, Grant some people can only afford 1 bike, and a MTB is the most diverse, you can do so many things on them and i think that is half the attraction. I dont know why but his article really ticked me off, and i though just had to say somthing.
I think Grant just has to accept that MTB is unique, and it's unique because it's diverse. You can DJ, both BMX and MOTO styles. You can ride Urban, like trials guy's and some street BMX'ers. Then there is DS, 4X, DH, XC and of course Free Riding wich i think is all these, and i'm sure i have missed many others. Why limit the MTBers in the future Grant, but i spose you will have fun throwing yourself off cliff's. Enjoy it Grant dont try and put people down though.

anyway guy's give me your take on the article and if you havent read the article, well read it!!

Tim

Ryan

Radministrator
Allen's article is a colossal wank, considering he came from a BMX background. BMX always has and always will influence MTB, Bootes, Gracia, Anne Caro, King, Lopes, Berrecloth, etc etc all came from a BMX background to be some of the most influential riders in the world, to say we shouldn't follow BMX is ridiculous, until MTB can capture the style, flow and ability of BMX riders all we can hope to do is follow them.

Tim

Likes Dirt
i dont think we follow BMX'ers, we are influenced yes, but we do definately have our own style. That's why some people DJ on MTB, and others BMX. But i think it's cool we can do it side by side.
Tim

CHEWY

Eats Squid
is that the one where theres the centre page pullout poster of grant allen doin the drop at red bull?

Adi

It's my birthday!
Well that was the biggest load of sh!t that I have heard from a MTBer.

As Yeti-Freak allready said, MTB is unique cause it's diverse. I don't like Grant's thought process at all.

"Help make your sport unique and different, don't lat us become "B" grade BMX'ers wutg big wheels and suspension. Get out in the dirt and rip it..."

So I guess we should all just adapt to his riding styles, oppinions and thoughts. Definately the worst article by him so far.

If you really want to be UNIQUE then ride a farkin MTB down at your skatepark. That is unique, and you are not a B grade BMXer because you do not ride a farkin BMX!

MTB is unique, and quite frankly I dont give a damn about what the hell Grant thinks because in my honest oppinion he is wrong any way you look at it. :roll:

[/rant]

Sorry I just had to get this rage out of me :?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually think what his is trying to say is the attention of late has been turning from more purist parts of MTBing to stuff like Street which will never be as big because it will always live in bmx's shadow. But I don't agree with what he is saying. Bmx IS the future of MTB. Ever tried Riding a MTB when you are 8years old or so? Impossible! I understand alot of what he is trying to say but I don't agree at how his his saying it.

I love riding whether is be a big bike, or a little one, they all have two wheel and you crank on the pedal to get moving. Anyone want to send in a letter about why people should stop freeriding becasue it is encouraging reckless behaviour in many young people?! Or because freeriders are just downhillers who ain't fast enough? Same kettle of fish to me.

Each to there own.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i read the article, and i too though it was a crock of shit. it really burnt me up, but i was happy, cos they reviewed my bike in the mag(kinda), the Raceline comp. i ride the enduro, one level down from it. i was gonna write into AMB, and ask wtf they were thinking, but now this thread is here, i dont think i will. nonetheless, its still a good magazine. so go out and buy it....

S.

ex offender
DIRT is still the only magazine worth buying IMO. AMB is ok but the reviews suck and the news is 3 months behind what you hear on the net (mainly cos it only comes out every 3 months), Freewheel, well, you know, and MTB Australia? That magazine is a joke I reckon.

O well, rant over.

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Socket said:
DIRT is still the only magazine worth buying IMO. AMB is ok but the reviews suck and the news is 3 months behind what you hear on the net (mainly cos it only comes out every 3 months), Freewheel, well, you know, and MTB Australia? That magazine is a joke I reckon.

O well, rant over.
i agree with socket dirt is the only magazine worth buying.
it may be expensive. $10.40 where i get it from but is has good info on just about everything.

S.

ex offender
01_250 said:
Socket said:

O well, rant over.
i agree with socket dirt is the only magazine worth buying.
it may be expensive. $10.40 where i get it from but is has good info on just about everything.
Yeah, you pay twice as much as for AMB or whatever, but it takes the whole month to read! AMB I often read in the newsagents in 5 mins and then don't buy it cos i'm cheap...

Sic

Likes Dirt
Definately a crock of shit article. Would we be doing back flips and the like off dirt jumps if it werent for BMXs, I think not. Besides Grant Allen seems to be trying to be a moto X rider half the time so perhaps he shouldnt be bitching about riders being influenced by other styles. Ive always thought the best thing about mountain bikes was that you could do everything ( street, dirt, x country whatever ) on the same bike why should you limit that because you dont want to look like a bmxer? Besides street looks really cool.....

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Grant Allen Where's the respect

Thank god! I thought I was the only on who thought this article deserved to be used for whiping my arse. Lets see what my problem is? Oh yeah an article telling us what we have to do to call ourselves mountainbikers. My immediate response is get stuffed Grant. It's as bad as the roadie vrs Mtb crap that goes around. People ride bikes and they enjoy it be it bmx or whacky recumbrant. Put them on dirt they can be mountain bikers. I'm sorry if some guy doing trials on a road bike dosn't fit neatly into Grant Alen's narrow vision of what all cycling generes should be. It really get's my goat when some one tries to tell anyone else what or how they should ride. Personal expression is part of what makes cycling in general that much more appealing and I found his dufus article almost contrary to what he himself would appear to stand for. So I'm gona ride my DH bike in a road race now and see if I can't make Grant Allens head explode at the thought.

Ride what you like where you like. Don't let Bike Genre Nazis tell you otherwise. Grrrrrrrr

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i only ever read mags in the newsagents these days... i find all of them a bit crap, the internet is all ya need =farkin.net!

i find dirt to be almost like a damn fashion magazine these days, way too preachy.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
I too rarely buy mags anymore just for the reading since you can log onto here for free, plus the reading is much more interesting...

Anways, Grant...get your head out of your a***. The last thing we need is someone starting a us vs. them scenario. Why can't we just all ride because we love to ride and not be pigenholed for it.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
personally i think its a bit of a crock of shit aswell

one of the reasons people ride MTB on skate parks and dirt jumps
this is what i have a problem with
is changing from MTB to a BMX
i think it takes me over day to get used to a bmx again
after riding a DH bike, it only takes about 5mins to get used to
a jumping hardtail again

just what i think