Gravel grinder recommendation. On-One Bish Bash Bosh?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at cutting down number of bikes i have (N+1). Decided to replace my hard tail and roadie with a gravel grinder bike instead.
I have been reading and contemplating few brand/model; Cannondale Slate, Kinesis AT, bombtrack arise, etc. I have arrived at On-One Bish Bash Bosh as by far the most ideal in terms of light weight, accomodate 650b, and generous tyre clearance (the 3 most important requirements).

What's people opinion on this frame/bike? Any other brand/model I should look at?
Ideally I want a bike/frame that allows me to ride on road, jump on fireroad where available, and ride on mellow singletrack like top section of RNP in sydney.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Interesting thread. Have thought about this myself. Roady seems to sit unused and have been riding my hardtail to work. Thought about a 29er hardtail with bigger gearing ratio, maybe steel. No help sorry lol. But going to have a look at the On-One Bish Bash Bosh, never heard if it. Ah a cyclecross type bike.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Niner rlt9 or Spesh sequoia fit the bill? Both look like reasonable gravel grinders

Snockers

Likes Bikes
My Surly Straggler has been great for about 3.5yrs/25000km so far. Mixed-terrain commutes most days with front panniers, and lots of long mixed terrain weekend rides. This definitely isn't a light bike though by any measure...

Kona has a very gravel-heavy lineup this year between their Sutra's and their Rove's, the Sutra LTD has been pretty awesome the last 2-3 years, but the Rove range has had a big refresh this year.

Have you seen the Polygon Bend RV? $1700 for a SRAM Rival CX1 Hydro bike with alloy frame and carbon forks seems like a great deal to me, but haven't seen one in the flesh or heard any opinions on the bike's performance.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Kona Sutras are good but they are proper heavy steel touring bikes. I took mine on the mundabiddy in WA and it was great.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
you want drop bars or flat bars?
-a mate has the slate -the 650b is a slow peddla & at $4K you can buya lot more bike for less.
-i have just bought a spare set of wheels for my hardtail -put some tubeless panaracer gravel king 42's on them, rides really well.
-another buddy has the kona rove -the steel on it is pretty heavy, heavier than my hardail [norco torrent ] with the gravel tyres

if you wat more road oreinted can try the specialized diverge, focus paralane Al also buys you a lot of bike [mate has this also]
wiggle has a big sale of plenty of steel gravel bikes with entry level groupo's for under $1K at present..check them out

If you have a good hardtail -id look at converting it--either with carbon fork /drop bars, clearance will be better & i think youll prefer the geometry [we regualrly do 75-100km gravel rides in wombat forest or macedon-cobaw ranges]

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Check out the new Kona roves.

I picked up a bombtrack arise mid last year, ss gravel bike but provides awesome platform to build it up into whatever

SDA

Likes Dirt
+1 for a Kona Rove. Fantastic bike. Have had one for about three years now. Would have no hesitation buying another - especially the new Ltd version.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Drop bar for the new bike.

My hardtail is cannondale F4 26" that can take 27.5" rear with skinny tyres (<2.0"). It crossed my mind to convert it as I just need to get a fork for it, then again the frame is quite heavy.
Atm, the hardtail is only used as a commuter and run around bike.

I'll check out specialized diverge and Kona Rove. They look interesting.

Those who have gravel bikes, what tyres do u guys run for 650b? Ideally I would like to run only 1 set of tyre for road and gravel. So something like Maxxis Tread Lite, but if there is no such thing, no dramas. I just need to sus out 2 sets of 650b wheels.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
650b is a bit of a dog on the gravel, i'd stick with 29/700c if i were you -the slate which has 650b 40-42mm's has to be kept pedalling -doesn't roll as well as the 29 tyres [esp. on the harder surfaces or when on the bitumen, the 26"er might take a 700x35 -you'd have to measure] 650b is also limited slightly for tyre choice, many more tyres in the bigger rim size, you can get WTB's & a schwalbe in the 650b sizing

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'm using a second hand CX bike as a commuter/gravel bike - running 32mm tires and it suits most of the riding I do (80% on-road, 20% gravel). It's an old Cell Brunswick 2: disc, 1x, hydraulics. A bit of a tank, but that's ok by me!

black rider

Likes Dirt
While you're looking at On One, check out the Ti Pickenflick. Great for all day mixed terrain rides or with slicks for bike path commutes. It's got good tyre clearance: I've run Rock N Roads on mine, which measure ~45mm on Stans Flow rims. The frame's made by Waltly.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the same, sold a carbon road bike for a steel gravel bike. Set up with 35mm slick tyres. With the pressure up around 70 psi can motor along almost as quick as a ‘pure’ road bike, but can back the pressure off for more adventurous riding. Looking to get some knobby tyres to have a go at some smooth single track. Have a Curve Grovel (V1) and can’t recommend it enough. The steel one isn’t for sale anymore but have seen a few pop up in the Facebook for sale groups - worth keeping an eye out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
While you're looking at On One, check out the Ti Pickenflick. Great for all day mixed terrain rides or with slicks for bike path commutes. It's got good tyre clearance: I've run Rock N Roads on mine, which measure ~45mm on Stans Flow rims. The frame's made by Waltly.
What size r u running?
Man they look nice. Not sure how to get them in to Aus though!

black rider

Likes Dirt
I'm 183cm on a large frame. Actually, just realised you might be talking about wheel size, I'm running 700/29". It's a great frame, although the downtube shape at the headtube junction is fugly. Purely aesthetic though. The shipping costs are bad; I purchased my frame 18 months ago in a sale, which pretty much negated the shipping charges.