Graves beats Bubba Harris

bmxbandit

Likes Bikes
thats right, last night at Nerang, the Bubba Harris pro invitational BMX race was on.... Graves had a 2 bike length lead by the first turn and held off a last straight bubba charge for the win!
results......

For those who dont know who Bubba Harris is...he was 2005 world champ, 3x ABA AA pro champ, and widely considered the best bmx racer in the world

1. Jared Graves
2. Bubba Harris
3. Steve Janssen
4. Wade Bootes
5. Jamie Gray
6. Todd Pascoe
7. Joel Clark
8. Michael robinson

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
woohoo!

So good to see him ripping it. Talking to a bunch of the BMX riders at Blakhill they were all really impressed (when I say that, I mean speechless) with Grave's first straights - apparently he's got the best first straight any of them have ever seen and could imagine. So, go Gravsey!

That was all talkng about the Nerang thing, now I guess this probably prooves their case - 2 bikes lengths after the first straight on the guy known as the best BMX racer in the world...

Can't wait to see Graves at Stromlo!

jeez we've got mtb'ers winning road races, downhill road races, bmx competitions...

now all we need is a mtb'er kicking ass in motorcross & we've just about covered it ! :p

well done mr graves:D

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats awesome, but is this the end of mtb for graves? With all this talk of Beijing etc it would have to be tempting to move to the dark side.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Thats awesome, but is this the end of mtb for graves? With all this talk of Beijing etc it would have to be tempting to move to the dark side.
Being an "Olympian" certain means higher exposures and possibly more income and is definitely a great move. Dunno how the BMXers will feel about it but my view is "First in, Best dress, gets the cash".

MrPlow

TMBC
Well done mate.

Jared is locked into a contract with Yeti, and still loves MTB too much to ditch it. So I wouldn't stress about it. Now I want to see Jared get on a road bike and kick butt there too:D

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
Yes very impressing riding from Graves, the whole track stopped for that race which is impressive in itself, im not taking the shine of the win but Bubba had only been in the country less then 24 hours and only done less then half a dozen hots laps around the track. Man that guy did a bump jump in an earlier moto im still shaking my head in disbelief. Good to see how the both go in Melbourne next week. But Graves has first straight pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like no one else at this moment. As for moving to the dark aside, the chance to represent you country at the olympics is everyones dream. Luke Skywalker went to he dark side and returned and only made him stronger :eek:

S.

ex offender
Just SLIGHTLY impressive :eek:

My money is on total demolition of the next 4x series he undertakes (again!)... seriously that is just nuts.

lopes

Squid
It was also a fitting reward for Jared after unluckily missing out on the overall win in AA Pro at Nerang the week before. He also took out the Pro open final on Saturday which should help his bank balance.

Taking nothing away from Jared, but that race highlighted to me just how good Bubba is, because he had only been in the country 24 hours and had spent all day in the sun conducting coaching clinics.
He then rocks up and does about 5 laps in total at Nerang, goes back to his hotel to sleep, then comes back and does another lap, gets a very bad gate and finished within a whisker of arguably our current fastest bmx'er.
It would be scary to watch him if he was switched on, primed to race.

It showed we have a lot of work to do in Australia, because there are a number of guys racing in usa that are currently as fast as Bubba.

By the way, Bubba is a man mountain in real life, with massive chest & shoulders - much larger than he looks on the videos.

Also BMX & MTB could not have better ambassadors for the sports than Bubba & Jared - they are dedicated racers and deserve all the success they get.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
go gravey!!!!

i think it can be relied on that jared is not going to be "moving to the dark side" considering he has always been a rediculously good BMX racer, and as such nothing has really changed. im pretty sure it was in his MTF or something where he said he was going a bit easier on the MTB stuff this year to focus on his bmx racing, so realisticly, i think everyone can just chill and know that the man will be around killing everyone in 4x for a while yet

brooko

Likes Bikes
jeez we've got mtb'ers winning road races, downhill road races, bmx competitions...

now all we need is a mtb'er kicking ass in motorcross & we've just about covered it ! :p

well done mr graves:D
Well it might not be as far away as you think,Sambus(hill)is an absolute machine on a moto 07kx250f,supercross or motocross his got the skills and cornering ability to ride with the best!

bmxbandit

Likes Bikes
Bubba still didnt exactly just rock up and ride, he had the track to himself earlier in the arv when noone was there, did practice before racing and had 3 race laps before the main event, so he had quite a bit of track time really, and i certainly wouldnt say he got a bad start, riders such as Jamie Gray,Wade bootes and Michael Robinson were also in the race, all some of the worlds best bmxers also, its not like he was just racing the locals (even though those 3 are locals)

Ryan

Radministrator
Bubba still didnt exactly just rock up and ride, he had the track to himself earlier in the arv when noone was there, did practice before racing and had 3 race laps before the main event, so he had quite a bit of track time really, and i certainly wouldnt say he got a bad start, riders such as Jamie Gray,Wade bootes and Michael Robinson were also in the race, all some of the worlds best bmxers also, its not like he was just racing the locals (even though those 3 are locals)
On form at the moment, beating those 3 should have been a formality for Bubba unless he was riding on one leg. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say Graves is Australia's number one on a 20" right now, snapped Kama et al last week in Nerang then snapped half of them again plus fricken Bubba Harris a week later.

Seriously. Graves in the Olympic BMX team or I'm going to have to eat like a whole pile of hats. Over the last fortnight he's handed most of the AIS 'High Performance' crew their asses.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
olympics & JG

With an olympics berth potentially being a "once in a lifetime" opportunity for any athlete, surely Yeti/Graves can work out something to see Jared represent his nation in what is arguably the worlds premier sporting arena.

If I had an athlete on my company with the potential to win an olympic medal, I'd be doing everything possible (if he/she wanted) to make sure they'd be competing at the olympics....
that being, building them a BMX (hey, Yeti) or trying to sub-sponsor them to a BMX Co.

Maybe Jared can give us an insight................

Last edited: