Gravey more than just tomato sauce as special ingredient, Rude a bit rich with his explanation.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The whole doco is a text book example of right place, right time.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
“ I think it's fair to say about myself that I'm at the twilight of my career, so to speak, so now would not be the time to start doing anything like that.” - JG from Pinkbike

Graves makes a point. Why risk tarnishing his whole career now? He’s raced Olympic BMX, World Cup DH, all higher pressure stuff than EWS. Why cheat now, in the “twilight” of his career?
I rekon a lot of doping happens in the twilight years - especially for the cream of the crop athletes. When you body starts to fail you look for ways to keep it going, drugs are an easy way to do that and all too tempting. I don't have data to back this up, but my perspective is from a normal bloke carrying a few small injuries and doing relatively small volume of exercise. There is no way a lot of the athletes are running on their own steam without assistance.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I thought so at the time as well but hindsight an' all, might be best to keep that bad boy tucked away. ;)

Out of curiosity, has anyone on here taken or know of anyone taking performance enhancing drugs just for themselves with no commitment to competition etc?
I took some a few years back - genuine TDF grade pharma. 6 weeks of intramuscular thigh injections every few days for myself and a mate. We killed it on the bike for ages ( like a year or so) but as 'training' faltered for a bit (a flu or some shit /extra hours at work meant a few weeks off) it went away as easily as it came ...PB's going down every week/ climbing like a freekin mountain goat. I can see why peeps do it, it is addictive. Some real psychological boost going on too. Without the access to same quality though i would struggle to commit again. I ain't buying any vials off a dude at the back of the stables. I did it because it was there. I had no intention of racing again at 40 + y.o.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I took some a few years back - genuine TDF grade pharma. 6 weeks of intramuscular thigh injections every few days for myself and a mate. We killed it on the bike for ages ( like a year or so) but as 'training' faltered for a bit (a flu or some shit /extra hours at work meant a few weeks off) it went away as easily as it came ...PB's going down every week/ climbing like a freekin mountain goat. I can see why peeps do it, it is addictive. Some real psychological boost going on too. Without the access to same quality though i would struggle to commit again. I ain't buying any vials off a dude at the back of the stables. I did it because it was there. I had no intention of racing again at 40 + y.o.
Cheers, good intel. It's interesting that you say it comes on quickly and goes away just as quick, seems like any training regime meaning you need to keep it in your system for it to be fully effective? What (if any) were the side effects of it?
So far, the things I've seen that are mentioned in this Graves and Rude case seem to not carry any bad medical effects and I'm thinking the knowledge of this stuff could be useful for many a recreational user.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These two responses from Boyracer and Dozer highlight exactly why doping happens. Nothing to do with these two guys in particular, but in general, participating in sport is additional exertion on top of your regular life. If we can make that bit easier for ourselves, be it through hydration, food ingestion, protein etc, most people will do it. If you have reached your natural capacity and there's a slightly risky, yet available way to continue progression it's going to be hard to resist.

Pro cycling contracts are few and far between and if you have lived and breathed the sport your whole life, I imagine it's even harder to resist the urge to give yourself a boost to maintain a contract or lifestyle.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pinkbike has interviews up with both riders. Sounds like they both just got caught by first time testing. Both are shocked that they tested positive, even more shocked that there was a test, and neither wanted their B sample tested which I find pretty odd. Hopefully they step up testing more often just to reduce the temptation for people to do them.

With all the innuendo around Ryno Power I'd be worried if I was an owner/employee there. They seem to be the scapegoat of choice at the moment.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
With all the innuendo around Ryno Power I'd be worried if I was an owner/employee there. They seem to be the scapegoat of choice at the moment.
Seems like every try-hard mad dog Chad Reed Metal Mulisha sick C#@t out there uses that shit thinking it instantly makes them A) Seriously the fastest and coolest guy to ever race B grade with a full sleeve tattoo of roses and barbed wire and B) To look fully awesome using the badly spelt word in their Insta hashtags.
The company has claimed the bad shit Rude and Graves got busted for is not part of the ingredients in their stuff but some say it is. If you look on their webpage at the list of athletes in mountain biking alone, you could pretty much disqualify a top five at a world cup if indeed this stuff contains the so called illegal stuff. We all know that sponsored riders don't necessarily use the products they are sponsored by but surely if this Ryno gear was part of the issue then these guys would avoid it. Seems dumb.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I rekon a lot of doping happens in the twilight years - especially for the cream of the crop athletes. When you body starts to fail you look for ways to keep it going, drugs are an easy way to do that and all too tempting. I don't have data to back this up, but my perspective is from a normal bloke carrying a few small injuries and doing relatively small volume of exercise. There is no way a lot of the athletes are running on their own steam without assistance.
If your main or only money earning gig relies on consistent extreme physical efforts, and you are getting older, slower and carrying more injuries, then it doesn't take a genius to figure out the temptation to take PEDs is also extreme.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
[QUOTE="mas2, post: 3223626, member:] Both are shocked that they tested positive, even more shocked that there was a test.[/QUOTE]

There's the rub. EWS leave testing up to the discretion of the national body and as a result, there has never been any testing. The French, however, give a fuck and decided it was about time these EWS athletes were made accountable.

Who knows how much testing will get done next season now that the UCI has some involvement in the series?

Warp

Likes Dirt
[QUOTE="mas2, post: 3223626, member:] The French, however, give a fuck and decided it was about time these EWS athletes were made accountable.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that following the death of Tom Simpson and other doping scandals during the TdF, the Frenchies made doping an offense against the law and hence you can be prosecuted.
Not surprised they are enforcing testing. They take doping sort of seriously.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that following the death of Tom Simpson and other doping scandals during the TdF, the Frenchies made doping an offense against the law and hence you can be prosecuted.
The French know when riders are ' Sur La Jus '

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm sure that is Italy. Maybe it is both countries have a similar law.